sherdog radio...Hughes offered 6 million

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » sherdog radio...Hughes offered 6 million
shackle
3/16/07 5:06:40PM
DID ANYONE HEAR WHAT Sylvia SAID!? on sherdog radio live around 4:30pm

He was talking how Hughes came to him after he lost telling him everything thing happens for a reason, and Hughes said he got a 6 million dollar offer after his lost...

However Sylvia whouldn't give any details I think it just came out!

Sylvia seems like a cool guy to me I hope he gets on better terms with fans.
shackle
3/16/07 5:19:15PM
What comes to my mind is elitexc or bodog...

Would the UFC allow him to fight at these places...?
nellyhiphophead
3/16/07 5:25:25PM
ya you never know what one it could of been they both seem like they like to toss the cash around.
waylon_o
3/16/07 5:36:27PM
does anyone know how many fights Hughes has left on his UFC contract?
Gladiator
3/16/07 5:38:42PM
wow back up... did hughes recieve the $6 mil offer by some org or did tim sylvia?
shackle
3/16/07 5:42:46PM
Hughes got the offer by what Sylvia said. It seemed to be something that just came out over the radio when he was telling the story. He wouldn't give any details at all.

Posted by Gladiator

wow back up... did hughes recieve the $6 mil offer by some org or did tim sylvia?

roman
3/16/07 8:00:54PM
Sounds fishy to me. No way I would trust a big person like Sylvia, espeically with the crap that comes out of his mouth. And I'm sure if that was true Hughes would have accepted.
Ultimate_fighter
3/16/07 9:10:22PM
seriously tho, guys come on. u think matt hughes got paid to get ko-ed, i don't think so. If anything it would be a submission. And Matt Hughes wouldn't lose his title for even millions of dollars! St. Pierre beat him fare and square
shackle
3/16/07 9:58:35PM
Thats not what he said he said some one offered him 6 million I'm guess another org offered that to him.

And yea he got paid alot to get KO'd vs GSP I'm sure he got paid around the same amount if he would of won.

Posted by Ultimate_fighter

seriously tho, guys come on. u think matt hughes got paid to get ko-ed, i don't think so. If anything it would be a submission. And Matt Hughes wouldn't lose his title for even millions of dollars! St. Pierre beat him fare and square

shackle
3/16/07 10:08:06PM
He isn't all that bad of a person sure he does questionalbe things that make him look bad, but he is a nice guy if you watch some of his videos or listen to him on the radio.

All he wants is the fans to like him as he said " I'd gladly lose my belt to get more respect if thats what it takes"

People just feel like they can say or do anything on the internet, and will spread rumors anyway they can or take little things, and make them worst.

Why would he lie about it? What would it do for him....

Once the internet spreads hate for a fighter they spread rumors, and blow stuff out of proportion, and don't even consider the fighter accomplishments or how good of a person they maybe.... it's sad.

I'll be proud to say I will never join this shitty bandwagon of haters, and will only bash fighters that bash fans or just seem like a bad person once you get to see them more in interviews. You don't have to be a fan, but at least respect them as a fighter, cause I don't think you have the balls to do what they are doing.

I'm not a HUGE Syliva fan, but I do respect him. I also think most people seem him a ass-hole, but I don't see him that way. You can think whatever you like, but just cause he wearing his belt all the time doesn't mean he is a a-hole. Just because he says he going to knock someone out he is a a-hole? To me it's called hyping the fight, and beleaving in yourself. Look at shammy vs tito fights they were huge cause all the smack talking it brings ppv sells thats for sure.

I think he takes alot of pride in fighting, and it rubs some fans the wrong way. Also him being kinda goofy looking as he said doesn't help.

I don't care if you guys don't like my view on it, but I'm not gonna follow everyone else cause it seems the cool thing to do.

Posted by roman

Sounds fishy to me. No way I would trust a big oaf like Sylvia, espeically with the crap that comes out of his mouth. And I'm sure if that was true Hughes would have accepted.

Stickan
3/17/07 7:50:22AM
Yea I like Sylvia more and more each time I hear him and I think he got a bit humbled by his loss to Randy.

On topic though I was too amazed at what he said but I don't doubt its legitimacy for a second. I'm sure Bodog and EXC would jump at the opportunity to get a big legend and a big draw like Matt Hughes.

But as Josh Gross mentioned this was after the GSP fight and Hughes has already had a fight since then so I guess they worked it out or they will. UFC won't allow Hughes to go anywhere else. He's one of their main stars.
shackle
3/17/07 10:50:37AM
I feel the same way about Hughes fighting somewhere else unless his contract runs out or, he loses to GSP a few more times.

It's a mystery unless the UFC is looking to pay him that for some weird reason.

We will see what the future holds I guess, but I don't see bodog or exliteXC being around too long. If they plan on paying out this much cause they are just starting, and won't get enough viewers in my opinion to make up for it.

Posted by Stickan

Yea I like Sylvia more and more each time I hear him and I think he got a bit humbled by his loss to Randy.

On topic though I was too amazed at what he said but I don't doubt its legitimacy for a second. I'm sure Bodog and EXC would jump at the opportunity to get a big legend and a big draw like Matt Hughes.

But as Josh Gross mentioned this was after the GSP fight and Hughes has already had a fight since then so I guess they worked it out or they will. UFC won't allow Hughes to go anywhere else. He's one of their main stars.

Ydoc
3/17/07 11:35:14AM
Yeah, if it is one of these little money throwing around orgs he needs to get it in advance. Backers will only back these things for so long before they want to see a profit.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/17/07 3:43:07PM
spending 6 million dollars on matt hughes is a colossal waste of money.
madmarck
3/17/07 5:15:45PM

Posted by shackle

DID ANYONE HEAR WHAT Sylvia SAID!? on sherdog radio live around 4:30pm

He was talking how Hughes came to him after he lost telling him everything thing happens for a reason, and Hughes said he got a 6 million dollar offer after his lost...

However Sylvia whouldn't give any details I think it just came out!

Sylvia seems like a cool guy to me I hope he gets on better terms with fans.

6 mil. Hughes was a champ who just lost. Maybe they were thinking they could scoop him up. I think Hughes would rather fight GSP again though. Whats the point in him fighting cans for 3 years? Some money? im sure he is already well off. I think he gets a decetn PPV share from the UFC, or at least while he was champ he did.

Hughes wants UFC gold. Its gonna take a lot to move him somewhere. Besides with the money he is making from fighting in the UFC 200k a fight (win including), PPV share, not to mention sponsors.
I wonder if he left the UFC, his sponsors not pay him so much as they are not getting the same amount of coverage.
shackle
3/17/07 6:53:04PM
How so....

they spend money like that on ex-champ/champion boxers all the time.

but I guess your right to some extent cause buying hughes with no competition = lame can fights. It won't bring a ton of fans. People want the see the best fight the best, and I doubt ExliteFC or bodog has the kind of money to get them all.

isn't no worst then spending the tons they are gonna spend for vera. If it is ELITEXC that gave the offer. Nothing is confirmed, and I doubt hughes is gonna leave unless he has a reason.

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

spending 6 million dollars on matt hughes is a colossal waste of money.

migo
3/17/07 7:49:42PM
Hughes vs cans with limited ground defense skills would make for some short, exciting, GnP fights.
shackle
3/17/07 10:47:44PM
Yeah he would pound them out quick no doubt, but trying to promote a (ex- ufc)champ vs a can( rather then champ vs valid contender) is a hard thing to do for a mma company one would think.

I for one rather see competitive fights, and see the best fight each other, but thats me. I'm sure many other feel the same way, and thats why I think hughes vs cans won't draw many fans not taking anything away from hughes though.

Posted by migo

Hughes vs cans with limited ground defense skills would make for some short, exciting, GnP fights.

Jeffanori-Gomi
3/17/07 11:14:12PM
I think Hughes can be an entertaining fighter but 6 million is too much for his talent

Why not buy Fedor for that kind of money. Im just saying that for that kind of cash you could buy a better "franchaise" fighter than Matt
ryderstrong69
3/17/07 11:15:37PM
big tim is hated for all the wrong reasons i feel bad for him
shackle
3/18/07 12:10:23AM
Hughes has more fans then fedor to be honest at least fans in the USA. At least that what I think if you added up all the fans more people would know who hughes cause they are so many noob/hooters mma fans that don't watch pride, or check the net. Fedor just extended his contract with pride also.

I think they fight similar to be honest though. GNP/submission However fedor is a better striker.

To be honest I hope Fedor ends up in the UFC so we can get some of dream fights :)

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

I think Hughes can be an entertaining fighter but 6 million is too much for his talent

Why not buy Fedor for that kind of money. Im just saying that for that kind of cash you could buy a better "franchaise" fighter than Matt

Jeffanori-Gomi
3/18/07 12:47:42AM

Posted by shackle

Hughes has more fans then fedor to be honest at least fans in the USA. At least that what I think if you added up all the fans more people would know who hughes cause they are so many noob/hooters mma fans that don't watch pride, or check the net. Fedor just extended his contract with pride also.

I think they fight similar to be honest though. GNP/submission However fedor is a better striker.

To be honest I hope Fedor ends up in the UFC so we can get some of dream fights :)

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

I understand your points and I agree somewhat..But I think winning/exciting fights builds organizations.

A person like Crocop is an individual you could build and organization around. Chuck Liddell also comes to mind.

A one-dimensional fighter like Matt Hughes ,while effective and very talented, isnt the type of talent an organization can build/grow on..Thats just my humble opinion. I think you'd be better off with someone like Vera than Hughes (Vera IMO isnt worth the $$ he's asking either)
hippysmacker
3/18/07 12:50:18PM
I'm sure if this is true it's not 6 million for one fight, so I don't see any reson why this would be bad deal for EliteXC or Bodog. If Chuck and Tito are making more than a million each with PPV revenues for 1 fight , it's actually plausible to me. If true it's probably a 4 to 6 fight offer. Since there is No PPV for elite just yet , it also makes ense as a possible lump sum. Some boxers sign lump sum deals where the promoter also owns their sponsorship rights. So if they paid Hughes 1. 5 mil a fight , and sold some big companies on the idea of having just their names on his shorts and clothes they could make some of that money back. I'm glad Hughes stayed with the UFC though. Also, I'm happy that fighter's are finally making good money, It's about time.
somethingclever
3/18/07 5:49:57PM
Yeah Matt is one of those guys who is a die hard loyal to the UFC. I don't think we will ever see him leave for another org.
somethingclever
3/18/07 5:52:06PM

Posted by ryderstrong69

big tim is hated for all the wrong reasons i feel bad for him

No he is hated generally because he comes off as arrogant and he put forth lackluster performances for his past 3 fights. I agree that he seems to be a decent guy when you get to know him. The trouble his most MMA fans don't care to get to know him.
FBD
3/18/07 6:34:52PM

Posted by roman

Sounds fishy to me. No way I would trust a big person like Sylvia, espeically with the crap that comes out of his mouth. And I'm sure if that was true Hughes would have accepted.

???
somethingclever
3/18/07 6:44:09PM

Posted by FBD

???

Don't worry about him. 10 bucks says he was wearing his tinfoil hat when he posted that.
roman
3/19/07 6:20:27PM

Posted by shackle

He isn't all that bad of a person sure he does questionalbe things that make him look bad, but he is a nice guy if you watch some of his videos or listen to him on the radio.

All he wants is the fans to like him as he said " I'd gladly lose my belt to get more respect if thats what it takes"

People just feel like they can say or do anything on the internet, and will spread rumors anyway they can or take little things, and make them worst.

Why would he lie about it? What would it do for him....

Once the internet spreads hate for a fighter they spread rumors, and blow stuff out of proportion, and don't even consider the fighter accomplishments or how good of a person they maybe.... it's sad.

I'll be proud to say I will never join this shitty bandwagon of haters, and will only bash fighters that bash fans or just seem like a bad person once you get to see them more in interviews. You don't have to be a fan, but at least respect them as a fighter, cause I don't think you have the balls to do what they are doing.

I'm not a HUGE Syliva fan, but I do respect him. I also think most people seem him a ass-hole, but I don't see him that way. You can think whatever you like, but just cause he wearing his belt all the time doesn't mean he is a a-hole. Just because he says he going to knock someone out he is a a-hole? To me it's called hyping the fight, and beleaving in yourself. Look at shammy vs tito fights they were huge cause all the smack talking it brings ppv sells thats for sure.

I think he takes alot of pride in fighting, and it rubs some fans the wrong way. Also him being kinda goofy looking as he said doesn't help.

I don't care if you guys don't like my view on it, but I'm not gonna follow everyone else cause it seems the cool thing to do.

Posted by roman

Sounds fishy to me. No way I would trust a big oaf like Sylvia, espeically with the crap that comes out of his mouth. And I'm sure if that was true Hughes would have accepted.

I never said I didn't respect the giant butterbull. I just said I would'nt believe a word that came out of his mouth. I'm not a fan of the former champ but I definitley respect him, I did a post about the fans booing the poor bastard and how I thought that was totally ****** up. Ya Ya he seems like a nice guy (and trust me I have seen lots of interviews with him) but he rubs me and millions of other people the wrong way with what he says. And I gurantee if Hughes was offered that much to go to a different org he would have done it.