Sherdog Official Mixed Martial Arts Rankings

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Sherdog Official Mixed Martial Arts Rankings
Next Page »
CornishMMA
3/19/08 6:46:36AM
Stability counts for something, and the newest batch of Sherdog.com's divisional rankings reflects a holding pattern at the top.

Whether it was because the No. 1 slot is well deserved, as is the case for Anderson Silva, or a fighter was the benefactor of happenstance, such as Takanori Gomi, Sherdog.com's rankings remain largely the same since the last update one month ago.

LINK
MondayNiteMauser
3/19/08 8:48:45AM
seems to me sherdog plays favorites....How can you really have BJ Penn 4th at lightweight when he clearly dominated Gomi who is number 1?? Also, Fedor is not the number 1 heavyweight until he beats a top 5 heavyweight....Where is Jens Pulver at 145?? BEN ROTHWELL???? really now??
deadone
3/19/08 8:53:45AM

Posted by MondayNiteMauser

seems to me sherdog plays favorites....How can you really have BJ Penn 4th at lightweight when he clearly dominated Gomi who is number 1?? Also, Fedor is not the number 1 heavyweight until he beats a top 5 heavyweight....Where is Jens Pulver at 145?? BEN ROTHWELL???? really now??

You are contradicting yourself somewhat... you want bj to be ranked #1 because he beat gomi many years back, but fedor can't be #1 because of older fights?
silverbullet
3/19/08 8:56:19AM
LOL Takanori Gomi is #1 LW? It's not even funny anymore.

Paulo Filho #2 MW?? He's a champ in the UFC farm league!!! He'd get murdered by half of the UFC MW division.

Jens Pulver would murder every one of those featherweights.

All and all, I find Sherdog's fascination with Japanese fighters rather hilarious. I know that it's hard to come to grips with the fact that PRIDE was one giant carnival, and Japanese fighters don't like fighting in US because they'd get KTFOed.
GlancyMMA
3/19/08 9:17:46AM
I got you on the Filho comment.

I'm a little confused on the welterweight listings too....

as for Jens.... I'd say he should be in the #2 spot after Urijah but he probably needs to put in a few more bouts in the 145 weight class before they can consider him a top 10... although skill wise.... he's up there....
MondayNiteMauser
3/19/08 9:25:36AM

Posted by deadone

You are contradicting yourself somewhat... you want bj to be ranked #1 because he beat gomi many years back, but fedor can't be #1 because of older fights?

I see where you're coming from but BJ has had way better competition than Fedor.....when was his last fight again??
CantAndleDaRiddum
3/19/08 11:31:20AM

Posted by silverbullet

Paulo Filho #2 MW?? He's a champ in the UFC farm league!!! He'd get murdered by half of the UFC MW division.

All and all, I find Sherdog's fascination with Japanese fighters rather hilarious. I know that it's hard to come to grips with the fact that PRIDE was one giant carnival, and Japanese fighters don't like fighting in US because they'd get KTFOed.

+1 pimp, u just saved me mucho typing
gsquat
3/19/08 11:41:08AM
... and the need for an actual ranking system is heightened.
mkiv9secsupra
3/19/08 12:01:30PM

I see where you're coming from but BJ has had way better competition than Fedor.....when was his last fight again??

WOW are you serious?!

BJ beat Hughes, best grappler he faught, and Gomi, best striker he fought...

Fedor destroyed Nogueira(twice the grappler Hughes is) and beat CroCop(twice the striker Gomi is)

i dont see your logic on this one
Nightmare27
3/19/08 12:39:59PM
How is Kawajiri ranked so high? He's definetly top ten and looked good in Dream. Who has he fought other than that since he lost to Gilbert Melendez?
waylon_o
3/19/08 1:03:20PM
Since when is Dan Henderson not a top 10 middleweight? Are you fu***ng serious? These rankings are retarded
NatedawgThaM
3/19/08 1:11:57PM
Heavyweight looks good besides I think Barnett should be a little higher. Light Heavyweight is good besides Soko should replaced with Thiago

Dan Henderson should be your number two middleweight. Rich and Fhilo, I wouldn't know who to pick as the #3 MW. I say have them fight it out for it.

WW is bullcrap. Yeah it could have been luck BUT SERRA BEAT GSP!!! Luck or not, a win is a win. Serra should be #1 like it or not. I still want Hughes to beat somebody in the top 10 for him to stay 3. His biggest wins are win from years ago minus the BJ fight, but he's a lightweight now.

Gomi loss to Diaz, he should be number 3 at the most especially since BJ has already beat him. JZ is #1 IMO. Aoki, BJ, and Gomi could battle it out for the 2nd spot.
imanidiot777
3/19/08 1:26:52PM
This is really bad, how is Rashad Evans in the top 10 LHW? And sure Jardine and Forrest have had some really good victories but are they really better than Lyoto Machine, Shogun, and Liddell? BJ Penn should not be as far down as 4th in the lightweights and Sherk should DEFINITELY NOT be 8th!!! Jens Pulver needs to be in the top 10 featherweight. Chase Beebe should be alot higher than 8th in the bantamweight.

That's six problems I just mentioned there and I came up with those at a glance; I'm sure others can find way way more.
billycarnage
3/19/08 3:18:28PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Heavyweight looks good besides I think Barnett should be a little higher. Light Heavyweight is good besides Soko should replaced with Thiago

Dan Henderson should be your number two middleweight. Rich and Fhilo, I wouldn't know who to pick as the #3 MW. I say have them fight it out for it.

WW is bullcrap. Yeah it could have been luck BUT SERRA BEAT GSP!!! Luck or not, a win is a win. Serra should be #1 like it or not. I still want Hughes to beat somebody in the top 10 for him to stay 3. His biggest wins are win from years ago minus the BJ fight, but he's a lightweight now.

Gomi loss to Diaz, he should be number 3 at the most especially since BJ has already beat him. JZ is #1 IMO. Aoki, BJ, and Gomi could battle it out for the 2nd spot.

I agree with everything you said but wasn't Diaz Gomi a WW fight? Even though it was no contest Diaz owned him and weed isn't gonna help anyone's proformance. I am not sayng Gomi should or shouldn't be #1 I'm just saying his loss to Diaz shouldn't matter.
RampageOwnedYou
3/19/08 3:25:11PM

Yeah I got no clue what he is even talking about, but I gotta agree with you...too funny!!
MartinKillMcGill
3/19/08 3:36:23PM
How can handerson be number 2 LHW and not even in the MW ranking's does not make sense to me def thenk karo should be higher in WW to
jiujitsufreak74
3/19/08 3:55:50PM
here are my comments on the rankings:

HW: They have my same top 7 with a little variation for the 8,9 and 10 spots. nothing to complain about here imo and i think it is fair

LHW: Dan Henderson is a hard fighter to rank. i keep him at both MW and LHW but to say that he ranks higher at LHW then MW is propsterous to me. he is, imo, top 3 in MW but i am not so sure abot LHW. i would say he is top 6 at LHW, so for me ranking him 2 at LHW is a little high. Jardine shouldn't be ahead of Machida imo, especially since his loss to Houston was not too long ago.

MW: Didn't rank Henderson which is a problem for me. he should be top 3 at MW without a doubt. Filho has already been addressed here but i would like to point out that i agree that he is ranked way too high. Silva, Franklin, Henderson, and Okami would all beat him imo. Lawler is a little too high for me, i have him 8th and to rank him above Okami is a mistake especially if you look at competition in the last two years. Trigg has no business at number 7. if anything he is at the 10th slot but right now after losing to Lawler and coming from the WW division after going 1-3 and the biggest win being over Misaki isn't enough to get you 7th. Lindland isn't ranked which bothers me because he is a skilled MW who deserves his credit.

WW: Diego is ranked too high. he has 2 losses in his last 3 fights. granted it was against quality competition, but in this stacked WW division you can't afford 2 losses in a row. i have him 8th personally and i think that even though he beat Karo that Karo should be ranked higher then him right now.

LW: Gomi at number 1 makes absolutely 0 sense to me. a lot of sites tend to rank him at the top spot...but i really don't understand their reasoning. Ludwig isn't top 10 competition, he was submitted by Diaz and had that fight occured in Nevada(or was it Cali...) it would have remained a win. high Diaz or not that was still a bad performance from Gomi. plus he has lost to Aurelio who has had less then a stellar performance in the UFC so far. there are too many other talented LWs with high level wins that are more deserving then Gomi. BJ is a little low although understandably since he just returned recently even though i have him at #1. Ishida is one of my favorite fighters but i don't see him being higher then Penn. oh, and no Aoki??? are they kidding? imo Aoki is top 3 right now. i personally don't rank Sherk until his next fight after suspension so i have no comment on him right now.

FW: this has to be one of the most retarded things i have ever seen. if Kid Yamamoto is not number one on your FW rankings that is bad enough...but not on your top 10!?!?!?! C'mon guys you can do better then that. to fail to see Yamamoto's greatness is absurd.
Pookie
3/19/08 4:01:18PM
yup the thing that baffles me is yamamoto
MartinKillMcGill
3/19/08 4:02:28PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

here are my comments on the rankings:

HW: They have my same top 7 with a little variation for the 8,9 and 10 spots. nothing to complain about here imo and i think it is fair

LHW: Dan Henderson is a hard fighter to rank. i keep him at both MW and LHW but to say that he ranks higher at LHW then MW is propsterous to me. he is, imo, top 3 in MW but i am not so sure abot LHW. i would say he is top 6 at LHW, so for me ranking him 2 at LHW is a little high. Jardine shouldn't be ahead of Machida imo, especially since his loss to Houston was not too long ago.

MW: Didn't rank Henderson which is a problem for me. he should be top 3 at MW without a doubt. Filho has already been addressed here but i would like to point out that i agree that he is ranked way too high. Silva, Franklin, Henderson, and Okami would all beat him imo. Lawler is a little too high for me, i have him 8th and to rank him above Okami is a mistake especially if you look at competition in the last two years. Trigg has no business at number 7. if anything he is at the 10th slot but right now after losing to Lawler and coming from the WW division after going 1-3 and the biggest win being over Misaki isn't enough to get you 7th. Lindland isn't ranked which bothers me because he is a skilled MW who deserves his credit.

WW: Diego is ranked too high. he has 2 losses in his last 3 fights. granted it was against quality competition, but in this stacked WW division you can't afford 2 losses in a row. i have him 8th personally and i think that even though he beat Karo that Karo should be ranked higher then him right now.

LW: Gomi at number 1 makes absolutely 0 sense to me. a lot of sites tend to rank him at the top spot...but i really don't understand their reasoning. Ludwig isn't top 10 competition, he was submitted by Diaz and had that fight occured in Nevada(or was it Cali...) it would have remained a win. high Diaz or not that was still a bad performance from Gomi. plus he has lost to Aurelio who has had less then a stellar performance in the UFC so far. there are too many other talented LWs with high level wins that are more deserving then Gomi. BJ is a little low although understandably since he just returned recently even though i have him at #1. Ishida is one of my favorite fighters but i don't see him being higher then Penn. oh, and no Aoki??? are they kidding? imo Aoki is top 3 right now. i personally don't rank Sherk until his next fight after suspension so i have no comment on him right now.

FW: this has to be one of the most retarded things i have ever seen. if Kid Yamamoto is not number one on your FW rankings that is bad enough...but not on your top 10!?!?!?! C'mon guys you can do better then that. to fail to see Yamamoto's greatness is absurd.

you typed everthing i couldn't be bothered typing
cmill21
3/19/08 6:55:48PM

Posted by Pookie

yup the thing that baffles me is yamamoto

Agreed, I wanted to throw up lol.
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
3/19/08 9:05:47PM
I rely on FightMatrix statistical rankings...they base on a point system, and take into account quality of opponents, and decay in time between fights...like one fight a year wont cut it.

Right now Fedor and Gomi are both still number 1, but thats because the site just started in December...they are both declining fast...really, really fast...due to theri lack of quality opponents, and large gapes between fights.

You can see how far ahead Anderson is on points, and how close Fedor, Gomi, St. Pierre, ect. are to being knocked off.

www.fightmatrix.com
MondayNiteMauser
3/19/08 9:38:52PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

WOW are you serious?!

Fedor destroyed Nogueira(twice the grappler Hughes is) and beat CroCop(twice the striker Gomi is)

Cro Cop isn't that good......and Fedor hasn't fought a decent heavyweight since Nogueira....Fedor just simply needs to prove me wrong....Join the UFC and prove me wrong Fedor! O yea and just watch what BJ does to Sherk.....
cmill21
3/19/08 9:46:18PM

Posted by F--K_Luck_AuH2O

I rely on FightMatrix statistical rankings...they base on a point system, and take into account quality of opponents, and decay in time between fights...like one fight a year wont cut it.

Right now Fedor and Gomi are both still number 1, but thats because the site just started in December...they are both declining fast...really, really fast...due to theri lack of quality opponents, and large gapes between fights.

You can see how far ahead Anderson is on points, and how close Fedor, Gomi, St. Pierre, ect. are to being knocked off.

www.fightmatrix.com

That's acctually pretty decent rankings, the LW is acctually pretty good, I woulden't have Gomi #1 but BJ at 3 is pretty ok by me, I mean he hasn't had a ton of fights at LW in the past few years lol, but we all tend to rate on 65% talent, 20% accomplishments and 15% favoritism lol.
Pookie
3/19/08 10:02:07PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

WOW are you serious?!

ATTENTION ALL RETARDS ...Fedor just simply needs to prove me wrong....

Fedor doesnt need to prove anything to anyone, no fighter needs to prove them selves to you in order to get your approval
Maybe you worded it weirdly and im taking it for something you didnt intend, but fighters really dont need to prove shit to us.
cmill21
3/19/08 10:09:02PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

WOW are you serious?!

ATTENTION ALL RETARDS! Cro Cop isn't that good......and Fedor hasn't fought a decent heavyweight since Nogueira....Fedor just simply needs to prove me wrong....Join the UFC and prove me wrong Fedor! O yea and just watch what BJ does to Sherk.....

All right, thanks for resorting to name calling! Now as for Cro Cop not being "that good": His career in both K-1 and MMA have both been very very impressive, not sure if you know but not many K-1 stars have gone to MMA and done well, most of them acctually get submitted with fairly baisic subs! Cro Cop's been subbed once and that was by arguably the best sub artist in the HW div. So now lets recount his impressive wins in mma, and why they were impressive: Heath Herring, at the time Heath was highly ranked both in Pride and abroad, he was coming off a loss to Fedor(no big deal) and is a very tough guy who is very strong and is a good wrestler, oh and he just beat Kongo(someone you know because he's in the UFC). Igor Vovchencyn, an amazingly powerful striker, he hit like a freight train and he could KO anyone, knows combat sambo as well as kickboxing(two decent bases), also he happens to have a record of 45-9. Aleksander, yep Fedors little brother, on most lists he's in the top 10 or not far out, amazing power, granite chin, and he knows his subs, tough opponent for any UFC fight. Josh Barnett, in the top 5, hell even top 3 on most lists, Cro Cop has beat him 3 times(none were close), Josh is probably the most well rounded HW outside of some guy named Fedor, Josh holds wins over, Semmy Schilt, current UFC HW champ Randy Couture, current UFC interim champ Nog, Aleks, Mark Hunt, and a few olympic gold medalists. Mark Coleman, UFC and Pride champ, olympic wrestler, Cro Cop destroyed him. Kevin randleman, UFC champ, two time NCAA Div 1 champ, powerful and quick. Wanderlei Silva, one of the most dominant champions of any MMA organization, he is a warrior, known for being rediculously hard to put away, he holds two wins over current UFC LHW champ Rampage(they were brutal KO's), he took a fight with Mark Hunt on 3 weeks notice only to lose a split to the K-1 WGP champ who out weighed him by 80lbs, Cro Cop made him look like an infant. Now I know most of this will not mean much to you since you clearly don't know anything outside of the UFC so I hope you do some research and then come back with your reply about a man who not only defended his country, lead it, played pro soccer, walked into K-1 and beat a who's who there, but he wen't out of his element came to mma, and again beat a who's who of greats here. Sorry he had a rough time so you coulden't see more, but if you judge a fighter by two fights I'm wondering what you thought of Chuck? Or Rampage? Or Anderson? Or Wand? Or Couture? All wen't through rough patches, hell most thought Rampage was done after Shogun put his knee through his head, same with Chuck, Randy retired, Anderson was submitted by Daiju Takase, Wand has lost 3 in a row. So if Cro Cop isn't a "decent" fighter then none of these guys are by your logic.
ICSlegend
3/19/08 10:30:45PM

Posted by silverbullet

Gomi has accomplished more then anyone at LW. And yes, a Gomi that didn't train and partied all night in his first trip to Vegas (who wouldn't?) got caught by Diaz (whose face he completely broke and demolished standing until he gassed). And no one is saying MJ gives you an edge. However, it does mask drug test results for other banned substances. Not saying Diaz was on something else, but rules are rules. Masking is suspicious, regardless if that wasn't his intent.

I don't think Sherdog's ranking favor Japanese fighters. They left out a lot.

And where the hell is Kharitonov in the rankings. And why is GG in there? Werdum owned him twice and Kharitonov beat him. Won't even get started on Couture or Sylvia. How you win/lose fights should count for at least something, not just the end result. Although CC beating Barnett THREE times doesn't justify ranking him top 5? And Barnett beat Couture anyway. Completely whack HW rankings.

Sherdog is pretty bogus and hypocritical with most of their rankings.

MondayNiteMauser is funny with his ironic opening statement. Cmill I think you're wasting your time with someone who doesn't think CC is a "decent" fighter.
mkiv9secsupra
3/19/08 10:49:33PM

ATTENTION ALL RETARDS! Cro Cop isn't that good......

said the obknoxious 15 year old armchair warrior......
Pookie
3/20/08 2:06:10AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

onoz WTF PWNED
Pookie
3/20/08 2:07:10AM
discard this post due to tequila. DAMN YOU LIQOUR
MondayNiteMauser
3/20/08 7:14:20AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Cro Cop went 1-2 in the big leagues pal....now he's fighting C level fighters.
Pages: [1] 2