Sherdog

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Sherdog
george112
8/8/07 2:40:20AM
man wats with all the threads over there bashing fedor?....i mean dam everyones just crying cause he wont sign with the UFC...It takes TIME people...its not his fault that dana is greedy and wont let fedor compete in sambo..(although that is imo a good move by the ufc...only becuase the risk of injury might keep fedor sidelined)...but still i keep hearing that eventhough he is the most dominant heavyweight and mixed martial artist & has a nearly perfect record that he isnt p4p the best in the world...i keep hearing bj penn an gsp coming up when this subject comes up lets see here......

Bj Penn

significant wins i can think of are matt hughes and gomi

Gsp

is imo worthy of being arguably p4p the best
has beatin hughes trigg miller penn parisyan and sherk

Fedor

man lets see...
Big nog 2x
renato
semmy shilt (who at the time was good)
heath herring(was ranked top 5 at the time)
fujita(recovered, kept composure an finished)
goodridge(total ownage)
coleman 2x(both by impressive armbars)
randleman(although scary finished)
ogawa(olympic judo silver medalist...totally dismantled)
Mirko(hard fought)
Mark Hunt(also scary...but kept calm an finished)
Lindland.....now i dont care wat people say fedor did NOT cheat if lindland is such a good wrestler he should have sweeped or something to regain dominant position...

man thats a big list

does anyone else agree with me on this when i say fedor is still #1 i mean come on couture imo is gonna lose an gonzaga hasnt proven himself yet...so who else is there barnett?? crocop?? the answer is yes..this is who has the best chance of beatin fedor imo

do u think so??
cmill21
8/8/07 2:49:06AM
I don't care who says what, fedor's the best. In my lifetime I just want to see Mirko and fedor 2...Don't care if dana has to buy fedor a country, it's gotta happen.
george112
8/8/07 2:51:15AM
yur not the only one who wants to see that....just hope it doesnt take to long to happen or we'll see a sakuraba gracie II rerun...but lets pray that doesnt happen
Stickan
8/8/07 3:00:34AM
This has little to do with sherdog and more to do with people´s opinions.

They have their opinions on who's p4p best, you have yours.
george112
8/8/07 3:06:44AM

Posted by Stickan

actually it does have to do with sherdog in the sense that the "they" who have there own opinions are over on sherdog...not so really much whos p4p best the thing that i was drivin at (an i think that i got sidetracked with the whole p4p) is that people in sherdog are bashing fedor for no reason...sure he hasnt signed with the ufc yet but thats not his fault
Stickan
8/8/07 3:29:20AM

Posted by george112

Posted by Stickan

actually it does have to do with sherdog in the sense that the "they" who have there own opinions are over on sherdog...not so really much whos p4p best the thing that i was drivin at (an i think that i got sidetracked with the whole p4p) is that people in sherdog are bashing fedor for no reason...sure he hasnt signed with the ufc yet but thats not his fault

No you're right it's not entirely his fault but it's part his fault, part Danas fault and most his managements fault. Hippysmacker put up a great thread the other day about the whole situation.
Demanding Zuffa to co-promote an event in Russia is being pretty damn unreasonable.

jomatty
8/8/07 3:29:27AM
i noticed the same thing yesterday when i was at sherdog. really i dont see how anyone who is paying attention can doubt that fedors not only the top p4p but also in all likelihood the baddest man walking the planet. thats gotta be good for the ego, being the baddest man on earth, literally.

when you hear what people who really know, the other fighters have to say it makes it very clear who the best p4p in the world is.
george112
8/8/07 3:31:39AM

Posted by Stickan

Posted by george112

Posted by Stickan

No you're right it's not entirely his fault but it's part his fault, part Danas fault and most his managements fault. Hippysmacker put up a great thread the other day about the whole situation.
Demanding Zuffa to co-promote an event in Russia is being pretty damn unreasonable.

true
george112
8/8/07 3:32:37AM

Posted by jomatty

i noticed the same thing yesterday when i was at sherdog. really i dont see how anyone who is paying attention can doubt that fedors not only the top p4p but also in all likelihood the baddest man walking the planet. thats gotta be good for the ego, being the baddest man on earth, literally.

when you hear what people who really know, the other fighters have to say it makes it very clear who the best p4p in the world is.

also true
fullerene
8/8/07 8:02:18AM
Sherdog is the most popular MMA discussion site on the internet, by far. What that means is that 90% of the people who become new fans and decide they want to make their first post on MMA do it there. It's not that you want find informed opinions on that site, but they are more likely to be drowned out by a million guys who've been watching MMA since Rampage won his UFC title. Nothing wrong with new fans and their perspective, but be prepared for them to lack respect for guys who made their reputation before they started watching the sport.

If you think Fedor is bashed on that site, take a look at some of the threads about Sakuraba or Shamrock.
Stickan
8/8/07 9:50:08AM

Posted by fullerene

Sherdog is the most popular MMA discussion site on the internet, by far. What that means is that 90% of the people who become new fans and decide they want to make their first post on MMA do it there. It's not that you want find informed opinions on that site, but they are more likely to be drowned out by a million guys who've been watching MMA since Rampage won his UFC title. Nothing wrong with new fans and their perspective, but be prepared for them to lack respect for guys who made their reputation before they started watching the sport.

If you think Fedor is bashed on that site, take a look at some of the threads about Sakuraba or Shamrock.

Best explanation to the sherdog.net chaos I've ever heard. Props to you.
LR
8/8/07 10:24:25AM
Fullerene hit it exactly on the head, and it shows on their forums. Most MMA fans who are new to the sport, especially American fans new to the sport, hit the Sherdog forums. Being here in the U.S., I see a ton of Liddell promotion, Couture promotion, etc, so it'd be easy to say that your favorite fighter is a Couture or Liddell, but if you haven't looked at other organizations and matchups, you won't know who the best is, or have a full opinion based on the entire MMA world who the best is. I see that a lot on Sherdog. People saying ridiculous stuff about how Liddell should go heavyweight and just KO Fedor like it's nothing. The only way that'd happen is if Fedor stood still for Liddell and told him to hit him in the temple. It's just things like that at Sherdog that make me stay away from that site.

And it shows in their Podcasts too. Jordan Breen is probably their best analyst there. He watches tons of MMA and knows what he's talking about. The Savage Dog show is a horrible show. It's like they took two guys from the forums, and gave them a show. Jeff Sherwood might as well being working at McDonalds. He has zero to say on any matter. They spent a hour and a half trying to get to talking about the WEC coverage on one show, and never got to it. It's ridiculous. They have outlandishly bad opinions with zero supporting arguments. And young fans or new fans listen to this garbage and get their opinion as their own. It's just bad for new fans to MMA.
Stickan
8/8/07 10:43:03AM

Posted by LR
And it shows in their Podcasts too. Jordan Breen is probably their best analyst there. He watches tons of MMA and knows what he's talking about. The Savage Dog show is a horrible show. It's like they took two guys from the forums, and gave them a show. Jeff Sherwood might as well being working at McDonalds. He has zero to say on any matter. They spent a hour and a half trying to get to talking about the WEC coverage on one show, and never got to it. It's ridiculous. They have outlandishly bad opinions with zero supporting arguments. And young fans or new fans listen to this garbage and get their opinion as their own. It's just bad for new fans to MMA.

What's so bad about their opinions? What's bad is that Sherwood's got a voice made for someone writing. It's got nothing to do with his knowledge about the sport. I can guarantee you that he's talked to more fighters and been to more events than you ever will so what makes your opinion worth more?

btw. I agree with you that their last show sucked. There have been a few SD shows like that but most of them are pretty insightful and entertaining.
It's pretty obvious why SDS has been successful and why they don't bring in some DJ to do the talking. People care about their opinions. People want to know who the founder of the at the moment biggest MMA site pick in the Sanchez - Fitch fight etc.
These guys talk to fighters on an almost daily basis and get access to training camps and stuff most of us fans only see on the videos they put up. Plus they've been around covering the sport since the SEG era.
They might not be the smartest and most radio friendly people on the planet but they know their MMA.
LR
8/8/07 12:37:53PM

Posted by Stickan

Posted by LR

What's so bad about their opinions? What's bad is that Sherwood's got a voice made for someone writing. It's got nothing to do with his knowledge about the sport. I can guarantee you that he's talked to more fighters and been to more events than you ever will so what makes your opinion worth more?

btw. I agree with you that their last show sucked. There have been a few SD shows like that but most of them are pretty insightful and entertaining.
It's pretty obvious why SDS has been successful and why they don't bring in some DJ to do the talking. People care about their opinions. People want to know who the founder of the at the moment biggest MMA site pick in the Sanchez - Fitch fight etc.
These guys talk to fighters on an almost daily basis and get access to training camps and stuff most of us fans only see on the videos they put up. Plus they've been around covering the sport since the SEG era.
They might not be the smartest and most radio friendly people on the planet but they know their MMA.

I'm probably prematurely judging them, but their last show was a basis for my opinion. I should have probably not jumped to a fast conclusion, but they just didn't make any opinions really in that last show at all.

And my point on Sherwood's voice is this, Sherdog is a site that is producing MMA podcasts for masses. I mean, that's what I think they are trying to do, get these shows on real radio and make MMA get to a bigger audience. When you have someone like Sherwood, who really sounded out of it in his last show, on there, it doesn't fair well, and it didn't fair well in the content of that show. He has vast knowledge, and no doubt has been to more shows that I have, I'm not claiming I am a MMA nomad and travel around attending shows. I have been to about 45+ shows, amateur and professional, but he's been to probably over 200, if not more. And I understand the point that people want to hear the founder's comments on these fights. I think it could be much more professional and more MMA, less vacation talk.

Again, I'm going off the last show, and will definitely listen more.
Aether
8/8/07 12:39:59PM
As far as fedor being #1 p4p I don't think most informed fight fans would disagree, although I guess I could see a small percentage picking gsp. Most divisions fighters will have to deal with a 5-10 pound weight disadvantage at the most, whereas in the heavyweight division it isn't uncommon to see a heavyweight fighting someone as much as 50 pounds heavier or someone nearly a foot taller. You just don't see physical advantages present to such extremes in other divisions, especially in PRIDE where there was no ceiling. So I find it hard to see anyone making a very valid argument against the most dominant heavyweight in the world not also being the #1 p4p fighter.
mrsmiley
8/8/07 3:13:47PM
I realy don't care much for the sherdog forums.Things get to personal when their's a disagreement.The news coverage is great for the most part,but I think the forums are filled with too many kids just trying to prove people wrong and making lame personal comments about people they have never even seen.Imo,i would personaly say Fedor is overall the best fighter pound 4 pound in the game,but that does not mean he is invincable.
george112
8/8/07 9:11:20PM

Posted by mrsmiley

I realy don't care much for the sherdog forums.Things get to personal when their's a disagreement.The news coverage is great for the most part,but I think the forums are filled with too many kids just trying to prove people wrong and making lame personal comments about people they have never even seen.Imo,i would personaly say Fedor is overall the best fighter pound 4 pound in the game,but that does not mean he is invincable.

i actually like to read the sherdog forums just to get a laugh...you are right about them gettin way to personal if they disagree on something....one guy can start a prefectly good thread and have a valid point but other people have to totally disrespect that person cause they say that gsp is p4p the best or that fedor didnt cheat against lindland...they dont even make a point as to why the thread starter is wrong most of the time...yur a troll....go kill yourself..totally stupid stuff...but sometimes it is worth a laugh at some of the stuff they argue about over there

im not saying that i dont like sherdog actually thats the first web site i go to...just dont like the forums..