Shawn Tompkins wants to see Wanderlei vs. Anderson Silva

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Shawn Tompkins wants to see Wanderlei vs. Anderson Silva
betii
1/22/09 10:47:08AM
Yikes!!! Not sure why he like that fight so much, but...

"If Wanderlei had his way, he would be back in the cage tomorrow. A loss is never a good thing for a fighter; it’s tough on you and tough on your family. He’s doing fine. He’s looking forward and waiting for the call from Dana to tell him who he is gonna fight next, but he’s fine. What he is doing right now is really focusing on his gym, which he is opening this month here in Vegas, and see what happens from there. But I know he’s ready to fight tomorrow. That guy doesn’t like to take breaks."

"I think he’s fine right where he is right now as far as dropping weight and going to a lower weight division, because he’s been doing this for so long and fighting at this level, I don’t want to see him have to do too much of a weight cut because he trains at a high, intense level already and he does fine with those bigger guys. He just got caught. If you fight with the style that Wanderlei chooses to fight with, those kinds of things are going to happen and that’s why people love to watch him fight. Unfortunately for a fighter and a training staff, it just breaks your percentages of getting knocked out a little bit. I would like to see him stay where he’s at. He will be fine there, but also, we want to see dream matches like him and Anderson Silva one day."

More in the full interview:

SHAWN TOMPKINS: "WE WANT TO SEE DREAM MATCHES LIKE HIM AND ANDERSON SILVA"
wiggum
1/22/09 11:18:21AM
anderson would ko him in the first rd......with theyre striking styles, wanderleis is taylor made for anderson to expose.......sharp pin poin striking down the pipe vs wild looping punches with a wide undefended target area
prozacnation1978
1/22/09 12:00:31PM
wandy is so far away from title contention 1-2 in the ufc alone won't do it

he needs 3 big wins
i would like to see a rematch between him and dan henderson
he could fight james irvin and say some one like a rich franklin , marquadt or even a yushin okami
right now it's looking like silva will fight leites, then okami in the summer with the winner of bisping/hendo in the fall
wild card is damien maia if he wins again he has to be in the plans
believe me silva would love to fight 5 or so times this year
casey64
1/22/09 12:11:47PM
Wanderlei needs some big wins in order to get to Anderson.IMO it'll be awhile before they fight.
Display
1/22/09 1:35:20PM
Why?

So we can see Wanderlei getting KO'd with a jab or head kick in the first round?

Wand in his prime or past prime always gets KO'd by Anderson before prime, in his prime, or past his prime.

postman
1/22/09 2:12:06PM

Posted by Display

Why?

So we can see Wanderlei getting KO'd with a jab or head kick in the first round?

Wand in his prime or past prime always gets KO'd by Anderson before prime, in his prime, or past his prime.

A in his prime Wandy v a before his prime Anderson. Your kidding right?
Taylor8766
1/24/09 7:11:14PM
I personally dont see Anderson being able to KO Wandy, ya Wandy got KTFO against Rampage but Page is a much harder hitter than Anderson, IMO Wandy would press forward and catch Anderson and KO him.
HumanTarget
1/26/09 11:46:21AM
Technical strikers > Wandy
Hendo67
1/26/09 4:25:30PM
I don't think Anderson will take him out with one punch, but i think he would pick Wand apart.
I'd much rather see Anderson/Wand than 80% of the other fights Anderson could be lined up with at 185.
bls1919
1/28/09 8:01:29PM
IMO Anderson would walk through Wandy. His strikes have pinpoint accuracy and Wandy would go down in a hurry. And to say that Anderson doesn't hit hard....just ask James Irvin