Shaw on Diaz-CSAC Marijuana Ordeal; Kimbo's Possible Opponent

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Shaw on Diaz-CSAC Marijuana Ordeal; Kimbo's Possible Opponent
grappler0000
3/29/08 4:50:21PM
EliteXC promoter Gary Shaw went on a rampage Thursday against California State Athletic Commission executive officer Armando Garcia for pulling Nick Diaz from Saturday's Strikeforce/Elite XC card.

"What happened (Wednesday) was a travesty to Nick Diaz," he said, noting Diaz was willing to take a drug test and was planning on passing it, but was pulled because he had revealed when getting his medicals done, that he had a medicinal marijuana card as treatment for attention deficit disorder.

Marijuana is on the banned substance list in California, and Diaz's biggest win of his career, over Takanori Gomi last year, was stripped in Nevada because he tested positive for the drug. Garcia said he couldn't publicly comment on the situation other than say there wasn't time to go through the procedures necessary to clear Diaz to fight.

Link
loller90278
3/29/08 5:36:24PM
since the event is in california, and (state) law permits that you can smoke with a card, why would he be not allowed to fight ?
rabbit915
3/29/08 5:38:37PM
Because they dont test for it because its illegal. They test for it because they believe it gives him an unfair advantage. If you had a medical disorder that allowed you to use steroids legally, it still wouldnt mean that you could enter a sanctioned MMA event.
chubbud22
3/29/08 5:42:27PM
How many threads can we start about almost the same subject? 7 mabee 8
Muay-Thai_Mogwai
3/29/08 5:54:57PM
Legalize it!!! Then there would not be a problem. ******* politcs
juanez13
3/29/08 6:16:52PM
IMO ron waterman could be a tough mtach for kimbo, i think it would be a good test for Kimbo.
grappler0000
3/29/08 6:34:29PM

Posted by chubbud22

How many threads can we start about almost the same subject? 7 mabee 8

It's a new article...and I can't say that I've seen another source pointing to Waterman as a possible opponent for Kimbo.
k_lup07
3/29/08 10:27:12PM
so ******* ridiculous. bet they wouldnt give a shit if he was popping morphs or some other synthetic. steriods and pot/ completely different.

i like kimbo, his stand up should be enough.

off topic, but does eddie bravo still compete? i remember seeing him in high times talking about 'stoner celebrities.'
gartface
3/29/08 11:47:48PM

Posted by k_lup07

so ******* ridiculous. bet they wouldnt give a shit if he was popping morphs or some other synthetic. steriods and pot/ completely different.

i like kimbo, his stand up should be enough.

off topic, but does eddie bravo still compete? i remember seeing him in high times talking about 'stoner celebrities.'

Marijuana is still a banned substance. You can get steroids/human growth hormone under the care of a doctor, but you still can't use it in sanctioned sports.

BTW I didn't know that Ritalin and Aderrall were off the market as possible ADD/ADHD medicines?
Oh that's right, they're not. Nick Diaz is a recreational user who uses ADD as an excuse to get high.
bls1919
3/29/08 11:57:56PM

BTW I didn't know that Ritalin and Aderrall were off the market as possible ADD/ADHD medicines?

Maybe he doesnt want to put chemicals into his body that he has no idea what the are or what they will do to him in the long run
gartface
3/30/08 12:00:08AM

Posted by bls1919

Maybe he doesnt want to put chemicals into his body that he has no idea what the are or what they will do to him in the long run

So carbon monoxide and tar on his lungs are a better alternative?
Kpro
3/30/08 12:15:27AM

Posted by gartface

Posted by bls1919

So carbon monoxide and tar on his lungs are a better alternative?

Ritalin and Adderal cause scarring of the heart tissue, generally leading to an enlarged heart similar to a 'steroid effect' on the organ.

Marijuana is a much much much safer alternative than a cousin drug of amphetamines.

Just thought I'd toss that out there for those who don't know. But the point remains, and you are correct, that just because it is legal in a state, doesn't mean marijuana is legal in sanctioned events.
gartface
3/30/08 12:17:59AM
Good info, but Marijuana still can cause some long term damage. I just think that Diaz has it to get high, and uses ADD as an excuse.
Gannon
3/30/08 12:43:37AM
I saw that Diaz was going to get 50 thousand for this fight. It irritates me that he feels the need to do the weed. He could basically be setting up himself for the rest of his life. Seems like a non issue to me. Give it up man. As for as the ADD excuse. I don't believe that one for a second.
Sometime in life we need to do things that we don't wasn't to do. But we are forced to make the best decision for ourselves and our family. I hate to see him waste his time with this crap.

k_lup07
3/30/08 2:49:53PM
ahhh buddy

i dont want to argue as i can see you dont like cannabis. like this other fellow said, synthetics are very harmful, besides the heart, ***** your liver too.

also, there is method of using weed called VAPORIZING that reduces the negative health effects of smoking drastically. even though its very social and blah blah, MARIJUANA IS MEDICINE. true its a banned substance but he had a MEDICAL CARD. i would gladly post scientifc testing that proves the immense benefits of the drug but thats not the point. its not the mma community, its the government.

also, i do agree that if he wants to continue in the sport hell have to give up burning or just keep tighter lips and have a buddy whos clean.