Shamrock won't return to UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Shamrock won't return to UFC
komodo20
7/3/07 7:41:30PM
Dana White, however, has other ideas, as the UFC President stated today that the 43-year-old legend had his contract terminated with one fight left on it, meaning he will no longer fight for the organization.

"I like Ken Shamrock," White said in a conference call. "If I saw him tomorrow, I'd say hello to him and see how his family is and everything else. He needs to think about retiring."

Shamrock has lost six of his last seven MMA fights, including three in a row in the UFC. His only win came against fellow 40-something Kimo Leopoldo.

"He has lost every fight he's had in UFC except for one," White said. "He's just not at that level anymore as a UFC fighter.

"He lost to Tito Ortiz three times," White continued. "He lost to Rich Franklin, who's a 185-pounder. Before we picked him up from PRIDE, he'd lost like six fights in a row in PRIDE. (In actuality, Shamrock lost three of four PRIDE fights.)

In other news, White said that the company was hoping to have Chuck Liddell back in the octagon in November, though his opponent is still not yet known. White at one time had alluded to a possible fight with Wanderlai Silva, but said now that it was no longer a certainty.

In regards to the PRIDE sale, he acknowledged that the company is in a bit of disarray, and that bringing fighters over to the UFC is a way to keep them active while the future of PRIDE is decided.

"They went out of business for a reason," he said. "Because that company's a mess. We're trying to figure it out and fix it. We've got a lot going on with the UFC. We opened an office in the UK and other things going on, we have a lot going on and these things take time. It's a lot more complicated and messed-up than we thought it was. PRIDE is a very powerful brand and I honestly don't know what is going to happen. We bought it with the intention of running it but it's a seriously messed-up company, so we're trying to figure it out.

Finally, despite a recent report in Variety which stated the UFC-HBO deal was likely not going to happen, White insisted it's "far from dead."
komodo20
7/3/07 8:00:11PM
Ken is to old and can't fight no more
Canadian_MM_EH
7/3/07 8:05:29PM
I'd like to see him take 07 off, and maybe in 08 he can come back for a super fight!
CanadianCripplr
7/3/07 9:49:14PM
dana white should fight shamrock. I dont mind seeing dana getting a smack.
Rush
7/3/07 11:31:38PM

Posted by komodo20
"He has lost every fight he's had in UFC except for one," White said. "He's just not at that level anymore as a UFC fighter.

How incorrect is this. Ken Shamrock has won 7 fights in the UFC.

Get it though your head Dana, the UFC existed before you bought it.
Sam_Rothstein
7/4/07 4:20:40AM
you cant tell me theres not one person ken shamrock could fight

granted he has got the shit kicked out of him the last 4 fights but he keeps fighting top 10 fighters. i'd pay to watch him fight maybe like a new fighter in the ufc. might be interesting

ah what do i know
FeelTheJoy
7/4/07 6:51:57AM

Posted by Rush

Posted by komodo20

How incorrect is this. Ken Shamrock has won 7 fights in the UFC.

Get it though your head Dana, the UFC existed before you bought it.

yea but it was totaly different. it was like a tournament. and all one weight class i think. pretty sure it was cuz gracie was fighting guys twice his size and weight.
Rush
7/4/07 5:11:23PM

Posted by FeelTheJoy

yea but it was totaly different. it was like a tournament. and all one weight class i think. pretty sure it was cuz gracie was fighting guys twice his size and weight.

Out of the seven wins he has in the UFC, 4 of them are against guys that are over 200lbs (Kimo x2, Severn and Patrick Smith). He fought Oleg to a draw (Oleg is also over 200lbs)

I am not sure about the weights of Leninger and Mitchell, but they are probably under 200lbs and of course Gracie is under 200lbs too. Keep in mind that he did not beat Gracie.

All in all, I don't think weight was really a factor and I think the tournament makes it harder to win. The calibre of opponents will always be debatable.

More so my point was not to debate whether or not the 'old' UFC is the same or different than the 'new' UFC, but rather to state that Dana White's comment was incorrect (by a long shot).
FeelTheJoy
7/4/07 10:56:47PM
yea but some people who fought in the tourament had no right or skill to be their. and lots of fight were won really really fast
TOMMYAYO05
7/5/07 3:38:39AM
Ken isnt as bad as Dana makes him sound i mean he fought Tito twice in a row and Franklin lets see ummmm two ex champs...Dana needs to get smarter.
zephead
7/5/07 7:45:05AM

Posted by TOMMYAYO05

Ken isnt as bad as Dana makes him sound i mean he fought Tito twice in a row and Franklin lets see ummmm two ex champs...Dana needs to get smarter.

The point Dana was making is that Tito completely dominated him and then Franklin hammered him and Franklin fights at 185.
Signal2112
7/5/07 9:39:26AM
Ah well. Thats a shame, but then. who would be left for him to fight. Having been beaten by Tito I can imagine him needing time to get some respect back. But hey, I watched Ken vs Otsuka last night on the Pride 2000 Grand Prix, and Ken was on excellent form that night, despite the power cut!
sirc625
7/5/07 1:20:17PM
Ken Shamrock had his time and at 43 he's no Randy Couture.
FeelTheJoy
7/6/07 2:16:16AM

Posted by sirc625

Ken Shamrock had his time and at 43 he's no Randy Couture.

TOMMYAYO05
7/6/07 3:15:33AM
Yeah i guess his time is done.unless he shows everyone different
Rush
7/6/07 12:27:49PM

Posted by FeelTheJoy

yea but some people who fought in the tourament had no right or skill to be their. and lots of fight were won really really fast

Here's a breakdown of Ken's opponents in all UFC matches

Patrick Smith - W
Royce Gracie - L
Christophe Leninger - W
Felix Mitchell - W
Royce Gracie - D
Dan Severn - W
Oleg Taktarov - D
Kimo Leopoldo - W
Dan Severn - L
Brian Johnston - W
Tito Ortiz - L
Kimo Leopoldo - W
Rich Franklin - L
Tito Ortiz - L
Tito Ortiz - L

Looking at all those fighters I would only say that Felix Mitchell and Kimo we not 'great fighters'. Christophe (National Judoka and Olympic Alternate) and Pat Smith are debatable. Brian Johnston is hard to categorize because he is 5-5 in MMA with losses only to Dan Bobish, Mark Coleman, Ken Shamrock, Kimo and Don Frye.

All the other fighters are/were considered top guys.

Also, I wouldn't give Franklin too much credit for the win considering Ken's slip (I think) made the difference in that fight. And Rich did not give up too much weight for that fight because he is considered a very large middleweight fighter.

All in all, Ken's success is clearly with Pancrase, but I will still re-state my point that Dana's comment was totally incorrect. There is no arguing that unless of course you want to reduce all other fighters' MMA records because you feel that some of their wins were against poor fighters (in your opinion).
FeelTheJoy
7/6/07 3:54:04PM
oh no. i didnt say his opponents were.
nubby
7/6/07 8:14:05PM
I think Dana should filter his mouth a bit. He's the head of the organization, he needs some class.
TOMMYAYO05
7/6/07 8:28:03PM
Dana is not a good president in my opinion the fighters need better pay.
GWD
7/7/07 4:24:58PM
What does it say about MMA when even Dana White bashes the fighters?

The man has no class.
blowe1983
7/7/07 4:47:38PM
what? dana just tells it like it is, give me a break. if it werent for dana you wouldnt be sitting here talking about this right now. dana made the ufc what it is. its a physical and entertaining sport. boxing is the same way with all of the shit talking. i think danas doing a fine job. hes not perfect. i think he handles himself very well. plus the fighters are way worse than he is. they have more of an image to uphold than dana. they're the money makers. if you're gonna criticize dana hes gonna give you some back.
blowe1983
7/7/07 4:49:57PM

Posted by TOMMYAYO05

Dana is not a good president in my opinion the fighters need better pay.

yes they do need better pay i totally agree with that. but not all of these fighters are in it for the money. only the big fights get paid a descent amount. itll happen. if the fighters dont like the pay then i doubt theyd fight period
GWD
7/7/07 6:19:03PM

Posted by blowe1983

what? dana just tells it like it is, give me a break. if it werent for dana you wouldnt be sitting here talking about this right now.

No, but I know that if you give a man credit for being a pioneer in the sport and being a good person then bash him and discredit his accomplishments at the same time without knowing anything about his fighting history, you have no class.

BTW The Fertitta brothers are to thank for the revival of the UFC, in case you are wondering. And I would be watching MMA regardless, but I wouldn't feel right putting money in Dana's pocket. I'd watch it at a bar like I always do.
TOMMYAYO05
7/7/07 7:18:41PM

yes they do need better pay i totally agree with that. but not all of these fighters are in it for the money. only the big fights get paid a descent amount. itll happen. if the fighters dont like the pay then i doubt theyd fight period

I mean Koscheck doesnt get paid nothing and hes a top fighter and then look at Brock Lesnar who just got paid 500,000 or Shamrock that just got paid 1.3 million theres no way Shamrock should get payed more than Tito Ortiz.
blowe1983
7/7/07 8:38:51PM

Posted by GWD

Posted by blowe1983

what? dana just tells it like it is, give me a break. if it werent for dana you wouldnt be sitting here talking about this right now.

No, but I know that if you give a man credit for being a pioneer in the sport and being a good person then bash him and discredit his accomplishments at the same time without knowing anything about his fighting history, you have no class.

BTW The Fertitta brothers are to thank for the revival of the UFC, in case you are wondering. And I would be watching MMA regardless, but I wouldn't feel right putting money in Dana's pocket. I'd watch it at a bar like I always do.

when did he discredit his accomplishments? i never heard dana say anything about that one. how does he not know anything about his fighting history??? are you serious? wow. and if dana has no class what does that make tito. you're telling me tito bashing his boss is different than dana doing the same back to him. titos the first one to always talk and if you dispute that then wow. two i didnt say if it werent for dana you wouldnt be watching mma at all, did i? dont think so. and apparently you like contradicting yourself, how would all of the money be going into just his pocket if dana didnt revive the ufc?
blowe1983
7/7/07 8:49:04PM

Posted by TOMMYAYO05

I mean Koscheck doesnt get paid nothing and hes a top fighter and then look at Brock Lesnar who just got paid 500,000 or Shamrock that just got paid 1.3 million theres no way Shamrock should get payed more than Tito Ortiz./QUOTE]

HOW IS KOSCHECK A TOP FIGHTER!!!! he beat sanchez. who cares. that was his first legit fight against a top opponent. yea yea i know you can say he fought him before. but im talking about now. after that fight you can say hes becoming a top fighter. if he beats st. pierre he'll be a top fighter. im sorry just because he recently beat sanchez doesnt mean hes a top fighter no matter what you say. and now you're comparing kickboxing to the ufc. why do boxers get paid 10x as much as anyother type of fighter in the world who ******* knows. do they deserve that money?? hell no. and brock lesnar, he came from a different market okay. hes gonna bring in money regardless. liddell got paid that much for his last fight so dont bitch about lesnar especially when were talking about mma. and why shouldnt shamrock get paid more than ortiz? why because ortiz whipped his ass and hes a better fighter? why did liddell make more than jackson? jackson won right? like i said before if the fighters dont like the money theyre getting paid then dont fight. period.
DevonFoxy
7/7/07 8:59:14PM
You know why Koscheck is a top fighter? Because other then the Fickett fight hes undefeated and he should have won the fight in question if not for a lack of judgment with like 30 seconds left. When you do sumthing like that in the octagon you a top guy. The fact hes stepping in the 8 sided ring with GSP to be next in line for a title shot is why hes a top guy. If you dont think he is a top guy obviously u havent been watching the UFC. lol
GWD
7/7/07 10:26:15PM
Totally missed the point.

He said Ken lost his last seven fights when in fact Ken hasn't lost seven fights in UFC. He asks who has he ever beaten? Dan Severn, Leininger, A well respected kickboxer and multiple title-holder in Pat Smith. Or did he ask because he doesn't know? On top of that, if he did know, he just disrespected the fighters who he beat. Either way, it comes down to the fact that as THE representative of the UFC, he does not have near the class he should. Sure, he is entitled to his opinion, but why express it in a disrespectful manner publicly?

And I still wouldn't feel right about my money going in Dana's pocket knowing he pays his fighters jack shi*t, just like I don't pay to watch the UFC, I'd rather give my money to a bar and get something in return with a clear conscience. (Well, sometimes I wake up in the morning I don't have one )

Other people can have opinions too you know.