Shamrock Ahead On Cards?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Shamrock Ahead On Cards?
JoeMimic
2/13/07 6:53:49PM

Middleweight Frank Shamrock was ahead on two of the
three judges’ first round score cards in his
Saturday’s bout against Renzo Gracie, confirmed
Mississippi Athletic Commissioner John Lewis this
morning, adding another twist to the controversial
bout that anchored Elite XC’s debut on SHOWTIME this
weekend.

You've got to be kidding me...Renzo controlled him the entire fight. Their scoring which is striking i'll give Frank a slight edge there aggression takedowns and cage control all goto Renzo by far.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Snacks
2/13/07 7:10:52PM
I would really like a link before I consider this anything more than a rumor. A picture would be best, though.
JoeMimic
2/13/07 7:27:02PM

Posted by Snacks

I would really like a link before I consider this anything more than a rumor. A picture would be best, though.

I got it from gerweck.net which now does a daily MMA update with tidbits and they don't always include sources. I'm sure the site it came from will turn up soon.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
hippysmacker
2/13/07 9:29:21PM
Was Cecil Peoples both judges?
Svartorm
2/14/07 1:58:04AM
I buy it. The criteria are Striking, Takedowns/Ground control, Aggresion, and Ring Control.

Frank was far ahead on striking, was the more aggresive fighter on the feet and ground, and actually used the cage to stop takedowns and work for reversals on the ground. Renzo had the takedowns, but that still puts Frank ahead on some cards.

This is the exact same senario as Bas Vs. Randleman. People thought Randleman took it, but Bas won the stand-up and did more on the ground. Randleman just scored takedowns.
JoeMimic
2/14/07 12:55:44PM

Posted by Svartorm

I buy it. The criteria are Striking, Takedowns/Ground control, Aggresion, and Ring Control.

Frank was far ahead on striking, was the more aggresive fighter on the feet and ground, and actually used the cage to stop takedowns and work for reversals on the ground. Renzo had the takedowns, but that still puts Frank ahead on some cards.

This is the exact same senario as Bas Vs. Randleman. People thought Randleman took it, but Bas won the stand-up and did more on the ground. Randleman just scored takedowns.

Striking I agree Frank; but Renzo takes Takedowns/Ground Control and ring control kind of falls into that category. It might depend how it you take aggression is it striking or aggresively trying to take somebody down? Either way it just sucks that the fight had to end like that.
hippysmacker
2/14/07 3:18:12PM

Posted by Svartorm

That's a good point about Bas/randleman , but I'm so glad Frank lost . I had hoped it would quiet and humle him. Guess not huh, he's even louder now
Svartorm
2/14/07 6:30:49PM

Posted by JoeMimic

Posted by Svartorm

Striking I agree Frank; but Renzo takes Takedowns/Ground Control and ring control kind of falls into that category. It might depend how it you take aggression is it striking or aggresively trying to take somebody down? Either way it just sucks that the fight had to end like that.

Aggresion is pushing the action and actively trying to end the fight. Frank was the most active fighter by far. Cage control, to my knowledge, is using the cage to your advantage, like cornering people in the stand-up, using it to stop takedowns, using it to aid takedowns, using it as a weapon with GnP, etc.
Stickan
2/15/07 8:15:36PM
I got a little biased after the fight and told myself Renzo was winning but as Svartorm I think Frank had done enough to be ahead on points. I do think Renzo would win that fight eventually though and using Franks rules he would've ended it right there in side control.
mrsumo
2/16/07 6:28:43AM
I wouldn't say that Renzo was dominating that match. True enough he was in the top position but he spent the majority of that time defending against Shamrock. I will stick with my opinion that Frank deserved the dq, but I would not say it was Gracies fight to that point at all. I have also never seen that sort of dq from the bottom position. It was awesome, but still illegal.
ryderstrong69
3/24/07 9:37:50AM
i agree renzo was winning that fight