Seven Different Opponents Turned Down Fight Against Tyrone Spong

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Seven Different Opponents Turned Down Fight Against Tyrone Spong
FastKnockout
11/5/12 2:16:42PM
If there was one major question surrounding Tyrone Spong's impressive debut on Saturday night after knocking out 37-year old Travis Bartlett, it was why was Tyrone Spong actually fighting Travis Bartlett in the first place?

LINK
kingsmasher
11/5/12 3:18:07PM

Posted by FastKnockout

If there was one major question surrounding Tyrone Spong's impressive debut on Saturday night after knocking out 37-year old Travis Bartlett, it was why was Tyrone Spong actually fighting Travis Bartlett in the first place?

LINK

Well let him fight Anthony Johnson in his second fight...

Let me guess they train together so they wont face each other...
BillsNewAccount
11/5/12 3:22:34PM
I'm surprised it wasn't more than 7. It's going to take some sick wrestling to stop that dude.
george112
11/5/12 3:27:39PM
He looks intimidating as hell. However his opponent was no world class striker himself. A couple of more fights and ill see where my opinion is at on him
ghandikush
11/5/12 4:02:31PM

Posted by BillsNewAccount

I'm surprised it wasn't more than 7. It's going to take some sick wrestling to stop that dude.

We havent seen any grappling from him yet, but I can only hope they teach him some uber sprawling.
kingsmasher
11/5/12 4:07:12PM
The guy that faced Spong though I would take jon jones with his hands tied behind his back...

They gotta get those fights on an even keel....it was a serious miss match set up there and thats the problem in most organizations beside Bellator IMO..
BillsNewAccount
11/5/12 4:22:23PM

Posted by kingsmasher

The guy that faced Spong though I would take jon jones with his hands tied behind his back...

They gotta get those fights on an even keel....it was a serious miss match set up there and thats the problem in most organizations beside Bellator IMO..

Really? Hector Lombard was given a squash match at least once a year in Bellator.

I'd like to see Spong given a bigger challenge but who in their right mind would fight someone who has no-name recognition but has knocked down Overeem?
ghandikush
11/5/12 5:25:10PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Really? Hector Lombard was given a squash match at least once a year in Bellator.

Yeah we have some expert can crushers in all orgs. Bisping was notorious for fighting cans in half his fights. Leben, Day, and Rivera might not be cans exactly but they are significantly below his level.
JackHammerXXX
11/5/12 5:58:21PM
I think you ask yourself, do you bring him along before you start putting him up against proven fighters, or do you jump right into big matchups with just a 1-0 record a la Brock Lesnar?

I think his striking is top shelf shit, but in what was a fight against a moving punching bag for the most part, sure he looked ready for a big name. Im more inclined on giving him a wrestler or at least somebody that will engage a grappling sequence or two? Geez I mean anybody would try to close the distance or try clinch/takedown?!

That Knockout was still devastating and I can't wait to see this guy fight again. Great camp and I'm interested to see how well Rashad performs against Lil Nog, knowing who he's sparring with these days
shaneTpain
11/5/12 6:12:47PM
Cant wait to see if Spong evolves into UFC material
Bubbles
11/5/12 6:31:55PM

Posted by ghandikush
Yeah we have some expert can crushers in all orgs. Bisping was notorious for fighting cans in half his fights. Leben, Day, and Rivera might not be cans exactly but they are significantly below his level.

yet beating Leben was good enough for Anderson to fight for the title
tallica62
11/5/12 6:35:46PM
They asked me too, but I turned it down because I don't know how to fight
Budgellism
11/5/12 6:55:36PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by ghandikush

To be fair that's when Leben was one fight away from a title shot himself. He was on a 5 fight win streak in the ufc.
ghandikush
11/5/12 8:07:45PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by ghandikush

To be fair that's when Leben was one fight away from a title shot himself. He was on a 5 fight win streak in the ufc.

Sherdog exists, try using it.

P.S. By the way once upon a time Herring was a very solid win too.
kingsmasher
11/5/12 10:00:47PM

Posted by JackHammerXXX

I think you ask yourself, do you bring him along before you start putting him up against proven fighters, or do you jump right into big matchups with just a 1-0 record a la Brock Lesnar?

I think his striking is top shelf shit, but in what was a fight against a moving punching bag for the most part, sure he looked ready for a big name. Im more inclined on giving him a wrestler or at least somebody that will engage a grappling sequence or two? Geez I mean anybody would try to close the distance or try clinch/takedown?!

That Knockout was still devastating and I can't wait to see this guy fight again. Great camp and I'm interested to see how well Rashad performs against Lil Nog, knowing who he's sparring with these days

Well IMO what is WSOF trying to do? I get it now.....Bunch of KOs to make it look exciting and sell it to someone else like its reputable....Makes sense really...But as a fan that wants to see the best of the best fight each other it just wont keep my interest...

Truthfully if the UFC starts making circus fights "chael and Jones" their prerogative will be to grow it as entertainment and not a sport, I will lose interest their too...

It just seems to me Dana is becoming what he cant stand about boxing....

Promoters just trying to make the most money not making the sport abide by a code of ethics....its why we will never see Floyd and Pacman until theyre both over the hill then they will try to sell it as an epic battle when out of their prime...
ghandikush
11/6/12 11:41:46AM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by JackHammerXXX

Well IMO what is WSOF trying to do? I get it now.....Bunch of KOs to make it look exciting and sell it to someone else like its reputable....Makes sense really...But as a fan that wants to see the best of the best fight each other it just wont keep my interest...

Truthfully if the UFC starts making circus fights "chael and Jones" their prerogative will be to grow it as entertainment and not a sport, I will lose interest their too...

Promoters just trying to make the most money not making the sport abide by a code of ethics....its why we will never see Floyd and Pacman until theyre both over the hill then they will try to sell it as an epic battle when out of their prime...

Realize that when putting a show together sometimes you cant get people to fight. Wait til card 2 to criticize and realize that card 1 had to draw people to the old versus right off the bat, and had to convince NBC to sign a multi card contract.

Card two will have momentum everywhere it has lacked.
MMAcca
11/6/12 11:21:35PM

I'd like to see Spong given a bigger challenge but who in their right mind would fight someone who has no-name recognition but has knocked down Overeem?

Great point. I would like to see Spong get tested and take maybe 8/9 fights before he goes to the UFC, but in reality i think he will go after his 3 fight contract with WSOF is done.
MMAcca
11/6/12 11:23:14PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by ghandikush

Exactly.

Who should Bisping be fighting then ?
MMAcca
11/6/12 11:27:41PM

Posted by kingsmasher

These 'circus fights' are nothing new in the UFC.

Undeserving fighters have been getting big fights for years....

Think Brock/Couture or Hughes/Royce Gracie to name a few.