Serra Thinks Cote Can Upset Silva

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Serra Thinks Cote Can Upset Silva
nastshabast
10/21/08 4:02:02PM
nastshabast
10/21/08 4:03:27PM
Pretty good read.

Actually, a very good representation of the sport which we all know can be portrayed inaccurately and negatively.

Twenty20Dollars
10/21/08 4:38:08PM
I might actually pick Cote, i think he might have a trick up his sleeve for anderson.
MMA_Alex
10/21/08 4:41:50PM
Wow. I didn't know TSN had MMA on it's website!
MMAcca
10/21/08 4:47:38PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I might actually pick Cote, i think he might have a trick up his sleeve for anderson.

Like a giant boxing glove on a spring ? That's probably the only thing that will help Cote win
Ben_Hutch
10/21/08 4:48:34PM
Serra also thought he'd beat GSP the 2nd time round.
MMAcca
10/21/08 4:51:51PM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Wolfenstein
10/21/08 5:01:34PM
Whenever there's a heavy underdog people start looking for more reasons that he can pull off the upset as fight time gets closer.

I agree with Serra that Cote has a chance albeit very small, but anyone can be beat. What Cote has going for him is he has a chin and good boxing that will allow him to stay in the pocket to land a big punch. Unfortunately Silva really doesn't get into exchanges. He strikes from the outside and I don't think Cote is going to have many chances to exchange. He's better off when he can trade punches with a guy who will stand in front of him...which won't happen.
bls1919
10/21/08 5:27:22PM
Without a doubt , if Cote stands toe to toe with Silva his night will end in dramatic fashion. Silva will pick him appart and end it with knees.
HumanTarget
10/21/08 5:32:32PM
Get real people, Silva will DESTROY Cote. He has better much better competition, I wish cote all the luck in the world. He will need it
ziegler3334
10/21/08 6:22:10PM
there is always a chance that a miracle will occur, but i really don't think this is the time for that.

anderson has mentioned retirement recently, but i refuse to believe he will be any less prepared than ever. Cote might be his easiest test so far in the UFC. Cote is a heavy handed puncher, but he won't get the chance to land a clean shot on anderson silva. Silva is far to good of a fighter to fall into a lucky punch.

I think that this is going to be one of the quickest main events. I just havn't decided what part of the first round it will end.

as of now, silva, TKO, round 1 (about 90 seconds in)
wrona666
10/21/08 7:06:47PM

Posted by ziegler3334

I think that this is going to be one of the quickest main events. I just havn't decided what part of the first round it will end.

as of now, silva, TKO, round 1 (about 90 seconds in)

I dont know if it could be much quicker then the "Sandman" destruction!!!!!
jiujitsufreak74
10/21/08 7:24:36PM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

yes, but he did also think he would win the first time, which means he predicted the biggest upset in MMA history...maybe he can predict another upset
Rush
10/21/08 8:23:53PM
I've said it before and I will say it again, Cote's fighting style (I think) is ideal to be the man to upset Silva. I still think Cote has a small chance due to the fact that Silva has more tools than Cote, but I think if Cote works the clinch on the fence, he might be able to connect with some uppercuts that could put Silva down.

Out of all the people Silva has fought since he won the belt, I think Cote is the most dangerous for him.
jiujitsufreak74
10/21/08 8:29:33PM

Posted by Rush

I've said it before and I will say it again, Cote's fighting style (I think) is ideal to be the man to upset Silva. I still think Cote has a small chance due to the fact that Silva has more tools than Cote, but I think if Cote works the clinch on the fence, he might be able to connect with some uppercuts that could put Silva down.

Out of all the people Silva has fought since he won the belt, I think Cote is the most dangerous for him.

even more dangerous than Henderson? i disagree.
Sir_Karl
10/21/08 8:54:20PM
BRAVO MATT SERRA!
Thank you.
I feel the same.
Rush
10/21/08 9:22:12PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

How so?
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
10/21/08 9:29:06PM
Cote' will KO Silva in the 2nd, that's 2 punches, a right jab that drops him on his ass and the 2nd puch a left uppercut to Silvas face while he's sitting on the ground, referee stoppage..
wapttn
10/22/08 12:22:10AM

Posted by Rush

How so?

Because henderson has an amazing chin and an olympic class roman-greco wrestling pedigree. The chin lets him get inside for the takedown, and the roman-greco clinch skills minimize the damage and control silva has with his muay thai clinch. Henderson executed a perfect game plan in the first round: Throw some outside shots, get your hands on the guy, drag him to the ground, pass, and work the gnp. Henderson's top control is good enough to keep silva on his back round after round. Henderson lost that fight because he decided in the second round that he could stand and trade with silva. If henderson sticks to a gameplan, he can beat silva. Is it guaranteed? no. Every round starts standing so if henderson cant finish him, he faces serious danger at least once per round. Can henderson do it? I personally think so. We'll have to wait about 8 months to find out though.
jiujitsufreak74
10/22/08 12:27:35AM

Posted by wapttn

Posted by Rush

How so?

Because henderson has an amazing chin and an olympic class roman-greco wrestling pedigree. The chin lets him get inside for the takedown, and the roman-greco clinch skills minimize the damage and control silva has with his muay thai clinch. Henderson executed a perfect game plan in the first round: Throw some outside shots, get your hands on the guy, drag him to the ground, pass, and work the gnp. Henderson's top control is good enough to keep silva on his back round after round. Henderson lost that fight because he decided in the second round that he could stand and trade with silva. If henderson sticks to a gameplan, he can beat silva. Is it guaranteed? no. Every round starts standing so if henderson cant finish him, he faces serious danger at least once per round. Can henderson do it? I personally think so. We'll have to wait about 8 months to find out though.

yeah, what he said

that was exactly what i was going to type too
Shawn17
10/22/08 12:37:57AM
I still think Hendo is the man to beat anderson as well. I think Cote can exchange in the pocket and in the clinch, if anderson turns this into a brawl which he never does then he has a chance of losing. It is likely anderson will do what he does best and pick cote apart using his long reach and abilty to strike from any angle. Cote has a good chin but a man can only take so much punishment.
Rush
10/22/08 2:36:59PM
But the problem with Henderson is that he is too predictable. He's got a great clinch and a right hand punch, but based on what I see from him lately, I think very vulnerable to a technical striker.

Silva is so skilled I think that it's going to be the more unorthodox fighter with nothing to lose that will get the win over him. Just look at how Chonan beat him. I bet that Chonan would not have secured that leg lock had it not been for the unorthodox entry (the forward roll).
bigbubbano23
10/22/08 3:08:08PM
i think cote can take this one.