SERRA TALKS HUGHES: "I'M NOT LOSING TO HIM"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » SERRA TALKS HUGHES: "I'M NOT LOSING TO HIM"
MMAcca
6/29/08 4:55:35AM
Following a tough loss to Georges St. Pierre at UFC 83 in April, former welterweight champion Matt Serra has recovered from an elbow injury he suffered in the fight and is headed back into training to get ready for an inevitable showdown with rival Matt Hughes.

“I just got the clearance. I can start training again.

LINK
silverbullet
6/29/08 10:27:19AM
Unless Serra learns some wrestling fast he is going to get tooled. One thing Hughes can still do pretty well is crushing the JJ wizards.
Porch28
6/29/08 11:42:46AM
I hope Serra takes him out for good
whardin19
6/29/08 12:05:50PM
Man I can't wait for this fight. Although Matt Hughes is at the end of his career I think this fight needs to happen. There's bad blood there. Although I'm one of the few that thinks Hughes has more fights in him. I mean listen he didn't have a complete training camp to prepare for Alves. Lets see what he does against Serra with a complete training camp before we say it's the end of Hughes career.
Figsak
6/29/08 3:35:32PM
I think this will be the fight where ppl finally wake up and wonder why they ever had Serra in the top 10.

He barely belongs there now, if at all. I don't know any other fighters in any weight class with a 9-5 record that are even in the top 15 let alone the 5-8 most ppl have Serra ranked. He has 1 big win, a lucky punch Vs GSP. Beyond that he has a sloppy close win vs. the not great Lytle, and a win over Curran 4 flippin years ago, and a CLOSE win over Yves Edwards 7 yrs ago. Every other big name on his rap sheet comes with a "loss" tag on it.

I'm gonna say again, I think Serra is good, I love his BJJ, and he's a stellar guy personally, but top 10 he is not.

IMO
dannyfrank
6/29/08 4:14:52PM

Posted by Figsak

I think this will be the fight where ppl finally wake up and wonder why they ever had Serra in the top 10.

He barely belongs there now, if at all. I don't know any other fighters in any weight class with a 9-5 record that are even in the top 15 let alone the 5-8 most ppl have Serra ranked. He has 1 big win, a lucky punch Vs GSP. Beyond that he has a sloppy close win vs. the not great Lytle, and a win over Curran 4 flippin years ago, and a CLOSE win over Yves Edwards 7 yrs ago. Every other big name on his rap sheet comes with a "loss" tag on it.

I'm gonna say again, I think Serra is good, I love his BJJ, and he's a stellar guy personally, but top 10 he is not.

IMO

ok, i dont really have a problem with what u said, cause i can see how people dont think he should be in the top ten. but there is no such thing as a lucky punch. if GSP was ready for that fight, he would've won, but he obviously wasn't.

anyways, i hope serra destroys hughes in this fight
prozacnation1978
6/29/08 5:03:58PM
i can't wait either, but i see hughes winning by decision or some one is winning by decision
jae_1833
6/29/08 5:07:49PM
Hughes will get the GNP TKO in round 1 or 2 at the latest....if he then retires it'll be the Hall of Fame within a year. Love the guy!!
EON
6/29/08 5:21:18PM

Posted by Porch28

I hope Serra takes him out for good

mostly because i cant stand hughes
Figsak
6/29/08 5:22:34PM

Posted by dannyfrank

there is no such thing as a lucky punch.

Did you type that with a straight face?

Seriously? Theres no such thing as a lucky punch?

Your grandma could get into the ring with Fedor and win the fight with a lucky punch. It's a fight man, no human being is perfect. We all have a delicate hold on consciousness which can be easily disrupted by a blow to the right spot. I wouldn't call it a lucky punch if say it was Marcus Davis who clocked him, or even ANY fighter with a single KO/TKO win on his record, but Serra just isnt a puncher man. Prior to that fight he had 0 wins by strikes. He's the type of fighter that gets a SUB, he loses, or it goes to the judges.

Serra swung his little arms around erratically, and one of them landed. Even Serra had a look on his face like "Oh shit, did I just do that?!".
EON
6/29/08 5:32:21PM

Posted by Figsak

Posted by dannyfrank

Your grandma could get into the ring with Fedor and win the fight with a lucky punch. It's a fight man, no human being is perfect. We all have a delicate hold on consciousness which can be easily disrupted by a blow to the right spot. I wouldn't call it a lucky punch if say it was Marcus Davis who clocked him, or even ANY fighter with a single KO/TKO win on his record, but Serra just isnt a puncher man. Prior to that fight he had 0 wins by strikes. He's the type of fighter that gets a SUB, he loses, or it goes to the judges.

Serra swung his little arms around erratically, and one of them landed. Even Serra had a look on his face like "Oh shit, did I just do that?!".

didnt you just get owned in a different thread for saying some stupid crap like that
xposipx
6/29/08 6:46:02PM

Posted by EON

Posted by Figsak

Posted by dannyfrank

didnt you just get owned in a different thread for saying some stupid crap like that

I think Sherdoggers found our website
kevietre
6/29/08 6:54:21PM
Hughes is an all time great but his better days are behind him. The only time Serra has been finished was by GSP in his last fight so I think Serra could submitt Hughes in the 2nd round.
Figsak
6/29/08 11:55:35PM

Posted by EON

Actually no. I melted his face with a number of stats and factoids that ruined his argument, so he got angry and started calling me names, which resulted in a MOD seeing it and banning him.

See the way it works is, if you destroy someone with logic, and they can't fire back with logic, the only thing they can think of to respond with is emotion.

Like I tried to explain to him, you need to realize we all have opinions. Differing opinions make conversations worth having. It's obvious you don't like my opinions on Matt Serra either. But you know what, prove me wrong man, tell me why you disagree and we can have a civil debate. You start doing what he did, calling names, and making personal attacks instead of responding with your own intelligent opinion, then you don't need to be saying anything at all.
holt8081
6/30/08 3:25:29AM
I agree an serra not in the top 10 I dont think he sould have been top 10 even when he was champ, I know matt is old and I dont like him much but this is one fight I cant wait to see him win.
Pookie
6/30/08 3:33:05AM

Posted by Figsak

Posted by EON

Actually no. I melted his face with a number of stats and factoids that ruined his argument, so he got angry and started calling me names, which resulted in a MOD seeing it and banning him.

See the way it works is, if you destroy someone with logic, and they can't fire back with logic, the only thing they can think of to respond with is emotion.

Like I tried to explain to him, you need to realize we all have opinions. Differing opinions make conversations worth having. It's obvious you don't like my opinions on Matt Serra either. But you know what, prove me wrong man, tell me why you disagree and we can have a civil debate. You start doing what he did, calling names, and making personal attacks instead of responding with your own intelligent opinion, then you don't need to be saying anything at all.

If a fighter throws a punch, he has the intention of it to hurt his opponent. Matt serra threw a punch that hit (actually dozens) and it hurt him. You can logically say matt serra got lucky he fought a mentally unprepared gsp, but the punch itself did exactly what it was intended to do. Its not luck that it connected, if so then what seperates this from any punch that has knocked someone out before? The fact that its matt serra?
GSPCanada
6/30/08 4:02:09AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Figsak

Posted by EON

If a fighter throws a punch, he has the intention of it to hurt his opponent. Matt serra threw a punch that hit (actually dozens) and it hurt him. You can logically say matt serra got lucky he fought a mentally unprepared gsp, but the punch itself did exactly what it was intended to do. Its not luck that it connected, if so then what seperates this from any punch that has knocked someone out before? The fact that its matt serra?

Alot of things have intentions behind them and can be lucky if a guy takes a shot in basketball w/ his eyes closed and it goes in did he not do what hes intended? but isnt he lucky? even gsp didnt think it was lucky I just think its one of those things that happens 1 in 50 times if they fight and serra got him that time as far as hughes and serra goes I don't like hughes much but i hope he wins the guy has done so much for the sport and I couldn't stand watching him retire on a 3 fight losing streak or losing 4 of his last 5 and I don't like serra much either he is a funny guy but at some point he just got arrogant and the "comeback" all of a sudden became a cocky knockout artist I used to be ok w/ serra but after watchin him on Tuf 6 i started dislikin him cause of his mouth and then whenn i heard the garbage out of his mouth pre ufc 83 i just hated him I say hughes wins this one
Pookie
6/30/08 4:09:45AM

Posted by GSPCanada

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Figsak

Posted by EON

Alot of things have intentions behind them and can be lucky if a guy takes a shot in basketball w/ his eyes closed and it goes in did he not do what hes intended? but isnt he lucky? even gsp didnt think it was lucky I just think its one of those things that happens 1 in 50 times if they fight and serra got him that time as far as hughes and serra goes I don't like hughes much but i hope he wins the guy has done so much for the sport and I couldn't stand watching him retire on a 3 fight losing streak or losing 4 of his last 5 and I don't like serra much either he is a funny guy but at some point he just got arrogant and the "comeback" all of a sudden became a cocky knockout artist I used to be ok w/ serra but after watchin him on Tuf 6 i started dislikin him cause of his mouth and then whenn i heard the garbage out of his mouth pre ufc 83 i just hated him I say hughes wins this one

its different, the basketball shot is indicative of your shooting skill alone, since the basket doesnt move. Fighting is different because its a two-way street. Serra's accuracy and Pierre's evasiveness. Just because pierre didnt react like he needed to doesnt mean Serra's punch was lucky. On the contrary, it just means Pierre got caught without head movement. Its Pierre's fault he got caught for not prepared, not serra's luck.
Figsak
6/30/08 2:24:15PM
So by your logic Pookie, there is no such thing as luck. It's all binary code floating in space creating predestined situations that are on an unshakeable rail.

Just as in the saying Beginners luck when a noob beats a seasond pro at something, i'd say it's punch luck when Serra, who has 0 Ko's previous to this, throws a punch and knocks out GSP who had never been knocked out before.

Because you take an action with an intention, doesn't mean the result will be typical or expected. This is where the mythical luck comes in.

Luck is simply good fortune, advantage or success, considered as the result of chance. Throwing punches at a moving target would be considered a game of chance, a positive result from that chance CAN be considered luck. Saying there is no such thing as a lucky punch is the same as saying there is no luck.

IMO that punch was luck, but who cares what I think
HumanTarget
8/31/08 1:06:21PM
Serra was lucky. Lucky being the chances of him landing a soild punch was low, but he did. I hate Serra, I cant WAIT till Hughes smashes him and all his STUPID fans through the ground.
TimW001
8/31/08 2:27:19PM
I honestly don't care about this fight anymore.
MFOTHER
8/31/08 3:26:40PM

Posted by TimW001

I honestly don't care about this fight anymore.

i agree it lost some of its appeal.....but im still curious

but if you dont care why did yo bring back a two month old thread? i thought it was NEWS