serra's offense

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » serra's offense
Next Page »
nickcuc547
4/20/08 1:05:29PM
it was non existant, the guy didn't amount any. this guy is a good fighter but i think yesterday showed that his win over gsp was a big time fluke. serra couldn't pull that off ever again. flame away.
CactusBob
4/20/08 1:25:41PM
You have to consider the lay-off Serra had from injury. Serra did well, but he did not look the same. Also, losing to GSP is no shame.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
4/20/08 1:28:49PM
it was indeed a fluke.just like the first hughes fight was a fluke. if gsp comes in prepared no1 can beat him.
jocka
4/20/08 1:49:30PM
Serra had just a bit more offense than a punching bag but as mentionned before there is no shame in loosing ito GSP long live the king lol
bullettdodger
4/20/08 2:09:31PM
I don't think he ever had a chance to mount an offense, GSP was all over him and had it to the ground from the first second of round (not literally, figuratively) GSP is just the bigger, stronger fighter... but i personally think he wanted nothing to do with Serra's hands... so in that reguards, i still do not consider the first loss a Fluke. It is pretty disrespectful to say it was a fluke as well.. just my 2 cents
wolfman
4/20/08 2:14:35PM
I think everyone needs to give it up on the whole fluke thing. The fact is GSP had a great game plan last night and he won that fight because he was the better fighter. Serra won fair and square the first time. Nine times out of ten I think GSP wins, but I think it is rather inappropriate to call Serra's win a fluke.
warglory
4/20/08 2:21:53PM

Posted by wolfman

I think everyone needs to give it up on the whole fluke thing. The fact is GSP had a great game plan last night and he won that fight because he was the better fighter. Serra won fair and square the first time. Nine times out of ten I think GSP wins, but I think it is rather inappropriate to call Serra's win a fluke.

vtecmonster
4/20/08 2:26:14PM
The fact that GSP was apprehensive to stand with Serra shows the first fight wasn’t a fluke.
gimmper
4/20/08 2:55:18PM
Great fight for GSP he has now avenged all his losses...I would love to see GSp and Cung Le square off for the fight of the century....Cung has the advantage...Hopefully one day
bullettdodger
4/20/08 2:59:17PM

Posted by gimmper

Great fight for GSP he has now avenged all his losses...I would love to see GSp and Cung Le square off for the fight of the century....Cung has the advantage...Hopefully one day

GSP=WW
Cung Le=MW
backalley101
4/20/08 3:15:57PM
I will say it . yep It was a fluke
keith-hackney1
4/20/08 3:17:36PM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

it was indeed a fluke.just like the first hughes fight was a fluke. if gsp comes in prepared no1 can beat him.

drop the fluke thing dude, it was a fight, serra was more prepared last time, thats it !!!!!!
Jackelope
4/20/08 3:23:09PM
He did mount some offense, but I guess it's hard to see that he was mounting an offense if you're not a BJJ guy.
nickcuc547
4/20/08 3:25:23PM

Posted by wolfman

well i disagree, we can just leave it at that, we aren't going to change eachother's minds
nickcuc547
4/20/08 3:26:49PM

Posted by vtecmonster

The fact that GSP was apprehensive to stand with Serra shows the first fight wasn’t a fluke.

but gsp won the brief standup battle. serra didn't land anything standing as well.
ThePlague
4/20/08 3:29:43PM
He had one little flurry of strikes from the clinch and the bjj stuff. But yeah, he really needs to work on that takedown defense and offensive jujitsu if he's going to fight Hughes (as Dana aluded to in the post-fight presser).
nickcuc547
4/20/08 3:32:59PM

Posted by Jackelope

He did mount some offense, but I guess it's hard to see that he was mounting an offense if you're not a BJJ guy.

ya getting back to full guard from half guard is some serious offense.
nubby
4/20/08 4:03:25PM

Posted by wolfman

How can you in the same sentence say that his win is no fluke but also say that GSP will win 9 times out of 10? Do you know the definition of fluke?
SerraLeben
4/20/08 4:06:49PM
GSP said it best "There is no such thing as a lucky punch". Serra hit him right on the button and the hunted him down around the ring to finish it off. It's not like that one punch KO'd him.

wolfman
4/20/08 4:31:24PM

Posted by nubby

Posted by wolfman

How can you in the same sentence say that his win is no fluke but also say that GSP will win 9 times out of 10? Do you know the definition of fluke?

Come on man, you're taking what I said out of context and twisting it. I see what you're getting at and of course I know what a fluke is. I have no other reason to explain why I said that...
warglory
4/20/08 4:34:49PM

Posted by gimmper

GSP would eliminate Cung Le soundly.
Lay_N_Pray
4/20/08 5:28:05PM
At least Serra was trying to be active from the bottom and find ways to scramble from his feet.

I think from now on we should all be grateful anytime a fighter doesn't pull a "Starnes" I would much rather see Serra struggle to do something on the ground then run away from GSP for three rounds.

So props to Serra for giving it a shot, and props to GSP for being the best
Jackelope
4/20/08 6:26:41PM

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by Jackelope

Obviously you're not much of a BJJ practicioner. Attempting to post the foot on someone's hip and moving to a triangle is considered offense in BJJ. Same as locking down half guard and attempting a sweep. It's the exact same thing as attempting to throw a jab or a straight punch and having them either block it or dodge it. It IS offense. Whether or not it hits is whether or not it's "effective" but regardless, it's offense. I'm just sick of all the idiots acting like Serra was just laying on his back and happy with it. It's the same people who boo during a ground fight. Learn what's going on if you're going to criticize.
nubby
4/20/08 7:13:39PM

Posted by SerraLeben

GSP said it best "There is no such thing as a lucky punch". Serra hit him right on the button and the hunted him down around the ring to finish it off. It's not like that one punch KO'd him.

Who cares if GSP said there is no such thing as a lucky punch. If I get in the cage with GSP and happen to land a punch and knock out GSP, is it luck? Hell yes it is. I don't have the training or ability to do something like that. And the reason this analogy applies is that we are talking degrees of ability. GSP is at a higher level than most fighters and for someone like Serra, a relative middle rung fighter to go in and knock out GSP, it's luck. It's luck first and foremost because he never would have worked his way up to a title shot by defeating the talent in the welter weight division but second of all because although he has strength in his strikes, he has never been known as a striker. GSP took him lightly and got cought with a lucky punch which was then followed up by 20 consecutive punches from serra. Serra will never beat GSP again... you can take that to the bank.
gimmper
4/20/08 7:23:13PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by gimmper

GSP would eliminate Cung Le soundly.

I wish I could agree with you Warglory... but it would be one heck of a fight GSP would try to take him down....but wait no man has ever taken Le down Frank Shamrock looked like an amatuer trying to....So GSP resorts to striking but wait everyone who has traded with Le have been knocked out....no contest Le all the way I just hope this sport gets to the level of letting the best fight the best...once this sports transcends promoter dictatorship it will get more exciting than it already is and that my friends is what I look forward to.
Pitbull09
4/20/08 7:40:30PM

Posted by CactusBob

You have to consider the lay-off Serra had from injury. Serra did well, but he did not look the same. Also, losing to GSP is no shame.

I knew the injury would be brought up. Serra complained for the longest time that he needed more time until finally sayings he was 100%. Now that he lost though, the injury can be a key excuse. He was the same Serra in this fight. The difference is we had a more aware GSP making sure he didnt get caught and rocked by a luck punch.
nickcuc547
4/20/08 7:57:56PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by Jackelope

Obviously you're not much of a BJJ practicioner. Attempting to post the foot on someone's hip and moving to a triangle is considered offense in BJJ. Same as locking down half guard and attempting a sweep. It's the exact same thing as attempting to throw a jab or a straight punch and having them either block it or dodge it. It IS offense. Whether or not it hits is whether or not it's "effective" but regardless, it's offense. I'm just sick of all the idiots acting like Serra was just laying on his back and happy with it. It's the same people who boo during a ground fight. Learn what's going on if you're going to criticize.

i never said he was laying on his back and being happy with it. i said he mounted no offense. i didn't say he didn't try to, i just said he didn't, which he didn't foot on the hip or not, if he was throwing a jab or straight punch jiu jitsu wise, he missed.
Kastro
4/20/08 8:55:49PM

Posted by bullettdodger

I don't think he ever had a chance to mount an offense, GSP was all over him and had it to the ground from the first second of round (not literally, figuratively) GSP is just the bigger, stronger fighter... but i personally think he wanted nothing to do with Serra's hands... so in that reguards, i still do not consider the first loss a Fluke. It is pretty disrespectful to say it was a fluke as well.. just my 2 cents

Exactly! Props for this, Serra did not have any chance to mount any offense, he did the very few times the fight was stood up but GSP quickly took him back down or kept his distance not to get hit with that heavy right from Serra..

Was nice to see at the end the amount of class they both showed and the respect they have for each other, two true champions!
CantAndleDaRiddum
4/21/08 9:30:35AM

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by vtecmonster

but gsp won the brief standup battle. serra didn't land anything standing as well.

thank u

gartface
4/21/08 10:11:05AM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by Jackelope

I'd prop yuh, but I have to spread the love.
Pages: [1] 2