If Serra Loses, does he fight Hughes, next?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » If Serra Loses, does he fight Hughes, next?
Taylor8766
2/17/08 2:09:20PM
If Matt Serra loses to GSP at UFC 83 does anyone else see him fighting Matt Hughes next. Because really when you think about it they never did get a chance to fight after the ultimate fighter, so I can see it happening. Also, if GSP wins I could see his next fight being with Jon Fitch, if Fitch wins his next fight, IMO he deserves a title shot, and Fitch vs. GSP would be a good fight.
Styles
2/17/08 2:14:51PM
All would expect to see hughes vs. Serra.... and we know Hughes will win, but then what?

Fitch deserves a title shot for sure. I have been saying it for some time now, Fitch will take that belt away from GSP.
tuvok500
2/17/08 2:44:27PM
Serra have to fight Hughes after his defeat to GSP, there is a limit of trash talking without having to face the consequence !!

GSP by total Destruction and after that Hughes will humiliate Serra and retired !!

gamez0932
2/17/08 2:49:22PM
i think they should fight if serra loses... hughes doesnt have much more fights in him so i say let them fight and handle their buisness... the sooner the better
Tailgunner
2/17/08 3:17:18PM
Serra will lose to GSP and then he will lose to Hughes. Fitch should get the next title shot as well but I don't see him beating GSP anywhere.

Fitch is basically a GSP clone but just a little less skilled, less speed and less wrestling ability.

GSP will defend his title for sometime after he mauls Serra.
loonytnt
2/17/08 11:26:43PM
serra is going to beat GSP, i dont know why so many people think serra is overrated, this guy is bad@$$, his BJJ is the just in the WWdiv imo and if he does lose, hughes and serra would be a good fight but imo hughes is going get sub 2nd
mrliquid
2/17/08 11:42:47PM

Posted by loonytnt

serra is going to beat GSP, i dont know why so many people think serra is overrated, this guy is bad@$$, his BJJ is the just in the WWdiv imo and if he does lose, hughes and serra would be a good fight but imo hughes is going get sub 2nd

I was going to bet on GSP but I think Serra is just that one guy that he will have a problem beating Serra has stepped up his game alot in the last few yrs and I think he might knock GSP out again if he gets the better of the stand up but if not I wouldnt mind seeing GSP tapping out at the end of the night either.
Manfred
2/18/08 12:02:40AM
IF Serra loses, which is not as much a given as most people think, I think they should fight just to bury the hatchet. Dana will probably do it because he knows it will sell.
Tailgunner
2/18/08 12:13:53AM

Posted by loonytnt

serra is going to beat GSP, i dont know why so many people think serra is overrated, this guy is bad@$$,

I will bet you anything you want that GSP beats Serra. The reason people think Serra is overrated is the fact that he needed a reality TV show in order to get a title shot.

Before TUF Comeback Serra wasn't anywhere NEAR a title shot, he wasn't even ranked in the top ten and his career was basically over.

There is a reason Serras victory over GSP is called the biggest upset in MMA history!
mrliquid
2/18/08 12:54:42AM
LOL! i've seen GSP fans but jesus man GSP isnt god he can be beat has been beat and will be beat again if not by Serra than by Fitch the guy wrestled 4 yrs at Purdue University he is a Purple belt in Jiu Jitsu he won the Big Ten conference scholar athlete award and he is undefeated in the UFC he would own GSP in wrestling and stand up I'm not a GSP hater I think the guy is very talented but I think he could be beaten by a few people and Serra and Fitch are just 2 of them.
Tein_Lung
2/18/08 7:24:04AM
I think Fitch gets the nest title shot no matter who wins... IF Serra loses i think he will fight Hughes and beat him, Serra jits is way too much got hughes to handle.

However i still want to see Serra defend his title, just so the haters can STFU
D0wnUnd6e6r
2/18/08 7:46:32AM

Posted by Tein_Lung

I think Fitch gets the nest title shot no matter who wins... IF Serra loses i think he will fight Hughes and beat him, Serra jits is way too much got hughes to handle.

And I choose not to... R.I.P SERRA
Tein_Lung
2/18/08 8:00:20AM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Posted by Tein_Lung

And I choose not to... R.I.P SERRA

my point exactly... everyone says Serra is crap yet he ran though GSP as if he was some new comer to the UFC with 1 fight under his belt... NO-ONE has handed GSP his ass but Serra and i think he can do it again, its just like the Silva Franklan thing its just somsone he cannot beat
cj_striker
2/18/08 10:46:18AM
IMO GSP is better at every aspect of MMA than Serra except for BJJ. I know Serra knocked out GSP, but I also believe GSP wasn't there mentally (which is his own fault, but it played into it IMO). Don't get me wrong, Serra is a tough dude and has come along way and deserves to be where he is, but I personally feel GSP will win, as long as GSP doesn't beat himself mentally. If Serra does lose, Dana White and Joe Silva would have to be retarded to not make the Hughes vs. Serra fight happen. Everyone wants to see it, IMO. Personally I feel if Hughes still wants it bad enough he can take Serra. As for my boy Fitch, after he wins his next fight they better give him a title shot, even if GSP beats him, he deserves it for sure. Fitch would be GSP's hardest opponent yet, and although I don't feel I could pick a winner I would hope Fitch wins, look up the backstory on Fitch and you'd want to see this guy do good as well, very dedicated to the sport, risked a lot to be where he is (like a lot of guys, but you can tell he really wants it)
mrliquid
2/18/08 11:33:52AM
Good post bro I think Fitch deserves a shot now the guy is awsome in every fight I have seen he never has a boring fight but asfar as Serra goes I think he knows this is his last shot with the UFC he is getting older alot of new talent coming in he won a shot at the title and beat a very good guy to get it so I dont think he will be dicking around for this fight I think he will train his ass off like it was his last I dont think he caught GSP with a lucky punch cause if you watch the fight he knocked him down twice and was all over him untill the ref stopped it and it definately wasnt the biggest upset in UFC history Serra has only lost 1 fight via ko by Carter all other fights he lost by decision he has always been a good contender and I can't wait to see him fight GSP.
Tein_Lung
2/18/08 12:01:51PM

Posted by mrliquid

Good post bro I think Fitch deserves a shot now the guy is awsome in every fight I have seen he never has a boring fight but asfar as Serra goes I think he knows this is his last shot with the UFC he is getting older alot of new talent coming in he won a shot at the title and beat a very good guy to get it so I dont think he will be dicking around for this fight I think he will train his ass off like it was his last I dont think he caught GSP with a lucky punch cause if you watch the fight he knocked him down twice and was all over him untill the ref stopped it and it definately wasnt the biggest upset in UFC history Serra has only lost 1 fight via ko by Carter all other fights he lost by decision he has always been a good contender and I can't wait to see him fight GSP.

finnaly someone that show Serra respect, GSP is the better fighter i think.. but i also think Serra is someome that just ha GSPs number
Tailgunner
2/18/08 12:10:13PM

Posted by Tein_Lung

Posted by mrliquid

G and it definately wasnt the biggest upset in UFC history Serra has only lost 1

finnaly someone that show Serra respect, GSP is the better fighter i think.. but i also think Serra is someome that just ha GSPs number

What was a bigger upset than Serra beating GSP then Mr Liquid?

Tein Lung As for Serra "having" GSP's number thats pretty funny, one fight don't mean jack. If Serra beats GSP again then you can say he has his number, but I can guarantee that GSP will rape Serra this time round.

Here was a UFC poll on the biggest upsets!

View Poll Results: What was the UFCs biggest Upset?
Jake O'Brien vs. Heath Herring (UFN 8) 0 0%
Jason Lambert vs. Renato Sobral (UFC 68) 0 0%
Randy Couture vs. Tim Sylvia (UFC 68) 5 5.49%
Matt Serra vs. Georges St. Pierre (UFC 69) 48 52.75%
Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Mirko Cro Cop (UFC 70) 11 12.09%
Houston Alexander vs. Keith Jardine (UFC 71) 0 0%
Quinton Jackson vs. Chuck Liddell (UFC 71) 4 4.40%
Cheick Kongo vs. Mirko Cro Cop (UFC 75) 0 0%
Forrest Griffin vs. Mauricio Rua (UFC 76) 10 10.99%
Keith Jardine vs. Chuck Liddell (UFC 76) 13 14.29

52.75% voted Serra over GSP

whardin19
2/18/08 12:49:27PM
That has to be the biggest common sense move by the UFC if Serra looses. But they don't always use common sense in everything the do...lol! But yeah, to answer you question this will definetally happen if Serra looses.
mrliquid
2/18/08 12:57:28PM
First few to come to mind.

GSP defeating Hughes 1st fight
GSP defeating Sherk
GSP bs decision win over Penn
I might even mention GSP bs decision over Karo

I would also like to see the link to that poll if you don't mind it seems tainted to me like I said GSP talented sure but best out there def not if GSP beats Serra I will give him some credit but i'll take it back when he looses to Fitch....sorry
JWils
2/18/08 2:01:01PM
From some recent Hughes comments, it doesn't appear that he is planning on fighting that much longer. Maybe 2 or 3 more fights.

So, with that in mind, and after all of the talk between he & Serra, I think these two need to fight.

Even though I feel that GSP is a big favorite to beat Serra, we need to wait and see what the outcome of that fight is. If Serra beats GSP again, Hughes can not fight him for the title due to the fact that he lost his last fight. I would think that Fitch & Karo would be the first in line for the next title shots.

What I am wanting to happen is that GSP defends against Serra. Then later on in the year we get a main event of GSP vs. Fitch and a co-main event of Hughes vs. Serra.
adamal
2/19/08 12:13:58AM
Just a few random thoughts on different things being said in this thread.

first off of course he fights Hughes if he looses we all want to see that fight and it will be great even though it's pretty removed from the show

Serra is a really good fighter, he'll stay in the title picture even if he looses, especially after he beats Hughes

Serra's BJJ is top notch, some of the best in the game. Isn't he the only American to ever earn a black belt from a Gracie or something like that?

John Fitch should certainly be given the next title fight. I feel like he's not being pushed at all, his fight at 82 isn't even on the TV card I don't think.
Bowen50
2/19/08 12:20:27AM
i think if Serra loses he'll fight Hughes but no matter who wins that fight neither one will be the number one contender. Between Jon Fitch and Karo i think both of them should go at it to determine a #1 contender.
Tailgunner
2/19/08 11:19:46AM
I think alot of you Serra dreamers are in for a serious dose of reality come april.

We will see if he got lucky or not very soon.