Serra, Hughes to Coach TUF 6

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Serra, Hughes to Coach TUF 6
MMA
4/21/07 6:05:13PM
Matt Serra and Matt Hughes will coach 16 welterweights during the sixth season of SpikeTV's The Ultimate Fighter, UFC president Dana White announced during the international broadcast of UFC 70 from Manchester, England on Saturday.

Click here for more details.
creativedestruction
4/21/07 7:14:49PM
I wish Serra would have just lost so he would go away.
xthe_scottx
4/21/07 9:56:10PM
Not a very smart choice IMO for the UFC. It's their most stacked division and now all the fighters will have to wait even longer to get their title shot. I'm sure it will be entertaining nonetheless but Koscheck and GSP really don't have many options now.
Lord_Lenny
4/21/07 10:26:15PM
why serra? a week after he fights hughes no one will care about him. i wish he would have lost just so i didnt have to listen to him
sparetire
4/21/07 11:27:41PM
Matt Serra's a great coach, whether he beats Hughes or not, and is a good representative of the sport.

I can't wait to hear him yelling, "Hamma fist. Let me see the hamma fist... and breathe. We're breathin!" He was the unnofficial coach of his team last season, and really stepped up.
jay98107
4/22/07 12:20:01AM
So I guess this means that if GSP would have beaten Serra, he would have been the coach? DAMN YOU MATT SERRA!
Manfred
4/22/07 1:47:49AM
Dont' they have a deep enough WW division already? I like the coaches / rivalry thing, but MW and LHW need building more than WW IMO
Jamie98s
4/22/07 2:03:38AM
dang,that fight is gonna be a long ways off now.
TaporSnap
4/22/07 3:31:28AM
Matt Hughes is alright but hes overrated and i hope Serra beats his teeth in just as GSP will and Jon Fitch would also
Manfred
4/22/07 3:38:27AM

Posted by Jamie98s

dang,that fight is gonna be a long ways off now.

I was thinking the same thing. And I believe Dana said Hughes gets the next title shot
Loot613
4/22/07 4:29:15AM
I don't remember Dana saying Hughes gets the next title shot, that was a rumor.

I think what SHOULD go down is this.....

Matt Serra should defend the title right before the TUF 6 season against a proven but not top tier (aka Hughes / GSP/ Koscheck / Diego / Penn) maybe someone like Serra himself (Karo Parisyan / Nick Diaz / Robbie Lawler) and we should see Hughes fight the #1 contender so he doesn't get the free entry, fighters such as afformentioned (GSP / Koscheck / Diego), Then have the show go off no matter what happens and depending on the outcome they would either fight on TUF finale or fight other people on the finale if they had lost their fights leading up to the show ala (Hughes vs. CHAMPION) and Serra vs. #1 Contender) More fights in less time. tyvm
shevtheman
4/22/07 7:03:06AM
I would rather listen to Matt Serra than Matt god-made-me-do-it Hughes. I hope The Terra smashes his face in to shut all of you fools the hell up, he did a fantastic job beating a much much much favoured GSP, give him the props he deserves.
Gladiator
4/22/07 2:12:02PM

Posted by Loot613

I don't remember Dana saying Hughes gets the next title shot, that was a rumor.

I think what SHOULD go down is this.....

Matt Serra should defend the title right before the TUF 6 season against a proven but not top tier (aka Hughes / GSP/ Koscheck / Diego / Penn) maybe someone like Serra himself (Karo Parisyan / Nick Diaz / Robbie Lawler) and we should see Hughes fight the #1 contender so he doesn't get the free entry, fighters such as afformentioned (GSP / Koscheck / Diego), Then have the show go off no matter what happens and depending on the outcome they would either fight on TUF finale or fight other people on the finale if they had lost their fights leading up to the show ala (Hughes vs. CHAMPION) and Serra vs. #1 Contender) More fights in less time. tyvm

having serra defend the title before the season 6 would be a bad idea because he would most likely lose and that would ruin the hype between him and hughes. maybe u didnt know this but karo parisyan already beat matt serra and nick diaz and robbie lawler no longer fight in the ufc so those fights are not going to happen anytime soon. it sux that the fight will be such a ways away now but i think hughes deserves the title shot first and there are plenty of great match-ups to be made with the contenders.
Loot613
4/22/07 5:13:25PM
Which would be exactly why Parisyan should fight Serra and if you think Diaz and Lawler are that far from being in the UFC again you're crazy. His lil bros about to smash into the light weight division and Lawler is one of the top welter weights... Didnt Dana say they were gonna have all the top fighters?
JWest12
4/22/07 9:56:30PM
why is diaz no longer in the UFC?
xthe_scottx
4/22/07 10:41:06PM

Posted by JWest12

why is diaz no longer in the UFC?

He lost three straight fights so he was let go by the UFC. I think he will be a good addition to PRIDE though since they have a 170 lb division now and the only people suspected to fight at that weight may or may not.
shevtheman
4/23/07 10:15:09AM
actually his contract was terminated, but he was invited back to fight with ufc, he had two fights and was assured by the ufc of another fight, but decided to leave for pride.
Sopena66669
4/23/07 11:49:29PM
That will be a nice build up... I hope Serra knocks the snot outta hughes but it probably wont happen i see hughes grinding out a 5 round decision against serra unless he can some how slam him unconcious