Serra vs Hughes

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Serra vs Hughes
Next Page »
nubby
4/9/07 6:05:00PM
How will it go down?
xthe_scottx
4/9/07 6:07:12PM
I would normally say Hughes, probably by decision, but after so many upsets lately, I really don't know who to pick. I'd still say Hughes via unanimous decision.
Ultimate_fighter
4/9/07 6:48:14PM
Serra Wins, 2nd Round KO, only if he stands with matt and matt doesn't take him down. Maybe even a 1st round ko... Serra really wanted that belt and he took it within 3 minutes... like come on!
randyleprechaun
4/9/07 6:58:55PM

Posted by xthe_scottx

I would normally say Hughes, probably by decision, but after so many upsets lately, I really don't know who to pick. I'd still say Hughes via unanimous decision.

Yeah man im freaking out. Its not even a full 4 months into 2007 and we have more upsets than the whole of last year combined.
Diaz vs Gomi,
Couture vs Sylvia,
Silva vs Hendo,
Serra vs GSP and
Soujodukojoaiesese or whatever his name is vs BTT!
pv3Hpv3p
4/9/07 7:02:16PM

Posted by randyleprechaun

Posted by xthe_scottx

Yeah man im freaking out. Its not even a full 4 months into 2007 and we have more upsets than the whole of last year combined.
Diaz vs Gomi,
Couture vs Sylvia,
Silva vs Hendo,
Serra vs GSP and
Soujodukojoaiesese or whatever his name is vs BTT!

Ya I remember we had a thread talking about 2006's biggest upset... And people ended up deciding on Pulver / Lauzon...

When you look at what we already have in 07, that almost seems laughable...

Oh, ya.... I know for my self I'm just going to stick with Soko... I don't think I can spell any of the three of his names
xthe_scottx
4/9/07 10:08:34PM
You can always just call sokoudjou Terry Judo.
BIGKAT
4/9/07 10:16:45PM
Hughes will whup dat azzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and GSPs, and anyone else you put in front of him.

Hughes had a bad night and didnt appear as if his head ws in the fight for some reason...he wont make that mistake again.
OchoCinco
4/10/07 10:02:29AM
Hughes by brutal GnP.
Mastodon2
4/10/07 10:05:43AM
Hughes will GnP him.

I think GSP will get a rematch though, and take the belt back, and he probably wont let another upset like this happen for some time.
Baz
4/10/07 10:09:09AM
Got to go with Hughes on this one, 2nd round KO.
warglory
4/10/07 10:11:04AM
I agree, I REALLY want GSP to get the first defense!
Manfred
4/10/07 10:14:39AM
My heart is with Serra, but the way things are going, Hughes by flying armbar with 5 seconds to go in the last round after getting messed up on the feet for 5 rounds
hippysmacker
4/10/07 11:55:26AM
It;s gonna be Hughes according to this article from UFC junkie. I say Hughes takes it in 3 rounds by GnP.

Matt Serra to Face Matt Hughes in First Title Defense
Posted by UFC Junkie on April 10, 2007 at 8:54 am ET

Matt SerraNewly crowned UFC welterweight champion Matt Serra (8-4 MMA, 6-4 UFC) will face former champ Matt Hughes (41-5 MMA, 15-3 UFC) in his first title defense, according to UFC president Dana White in Saturday’s post-event press conference.

Serra, who scored a stunning upset of Georges St. Pierre in the main event at Houston’s UFC 69, became the first fighter ever to knockout the former champ. Prior to Saturday’s fight at the Toyota Center, St. Pierre’s only other loss was to Matt Hughes via submission armbar at UFC 50.

The Serra-Hughes title fight is expected to take place in August, possibly at a UFC 74 event.

Hughes, who lost his belt to St. Pierre at November’s UFC 65 event, had defended the UFC’s welterweight title seven times in his career (with two additional wins in non-title fights). The surefire UFC Hall of Famer most recently defeated Chris Lytle with a unanimous decision at UFC 68 last month.

During Saturday’s pay-per-view broadcast, cameras caught Hughes looking especially happy and cheering wildly after Serra’s win. It had been assumed that Hughes would next St. Pierre had he won Saturday’s fight.

“Georges looked a little smaller than usual and he didn’t look sharp when he was out there,” Hughes stated on his Web site, matt-hughes.com. “So, I don’t know if pressure had something to do with it or what, but he just didn’t look like himself out there and Matt was able to land that big punch.”

Serra earned his title shot by winning the welterweight division of a special “comeback” season of The Ultimate Fighter, the UFC’s reality series that airs on Spike TV.

It can be logically reasoned that Hughes will have an easier road back to the title with Serra, even with the Long Islander’s upset win on Saturday.

However, with his latest victory, Serra has won four of his past five UFC fights.
Comments 84 Comments | Posted in Matt Hughes, Georges St. Pierre, Matt Serra, UFC 74
AdamG
4/10/07 12:10:53PM
Well it sounds like Matt Hughes will get the next title shot, and why not? He was Dana White's boy before he lost to GSP. However, in his return after losing the title against Chris Lytle, he looked slow. That was the worst fight I've seen of his, other than the loss to St. Pierre of course. I like Serra, he has heart and is very passionate about the sport, whereas Hughes seems like a a jerk. So I'm going with Serra via judges decision for his first title defense.
hook_tothe_body
4/10/07 1:46:06PM
I think Hughes might win. But what I hope will happen is Hughes is going to take Serra down like he does everyone, and I hope Serra uses his sick BJJ to tap Hughes out.

I'm not a Matt Hughes fan. Too boring. I mean he's had good fights, but it seems like he's not going to take any chances any more (like his fight with Chris, "Lights Out.")
Lay_N_Pray
4/10/07 3:05:26PM
Wow, I was definitely a fan of Hughes and still am but he is going to lose this fight I think.

I mean he has to take Serra to the ground in order to win, and does anyone want to take that guy to the ground?

Right now I would say Serra by Sub in Rd 3, but my pick is subject to change as I am still riding a high from his title win.
StorminYourman
4/11/07 3:27:35AM

Posted by nubby

How will it go down?

Serra dominating.If you have noticed most fighters do not want to take Serra to the ground.They are right to think that way.Serra=amazing ground game.

Standup Serra is better
Ground Serra also
Clinch about equal
TDs Hughes gets that
TD Defense not really sure

Now if Serra is better Standing and also on ground the only spot Hughes has is the clinch and has to hope to pull something like a Silva over Franklin but it aint gonna happen.

WAR "TERROR!"
Mastodon2
4/11/07 3:50:49AM
I think Matt will take te belt off Serra, but I hope he pushes for a finish, rather than trying to lay and pray and ride out a points victory. Hopefully Serra'a ground game will be too much for him to do that.
Northrend
4/11/07 5:44:25AM

Posted by BIGKAT

Hughes will whup dat azzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and GSPs, and anyone else you put in front of him.

Hughes had a bad night and didnt appear as if his head ws in the fight for some reason...he wont make that mistake again.

Sorry but GSP would murder Hughes again. As for Serra vs Hughes I either see it 3 ways..Serra by KO..Serra by submission (gogoplata or omaplata) or Hughes by UD.
Pinkalicous
4/11/07 8:17:25AM
This fight will be interesting, and as a big fan of Hughes i hope he will win. In this fight i think that Matt will be able to take Serra down, which as we all know most of the time when he gets you down he wins. So i think that if Hughes takes the fight to the ground, the fight is over in the first, maybe second round...

...But if Serra can keep the fight on the feet (like GSP) Hughes will be in big trouble, and could be knocked out in the first round.

But we really dont know how it will go, especially with all the upsets so far this year.
Rush
4/11/07 2:56:37PM
I say this fight will go to the ground quick and Hughes will get a decision by ground control.

But then again, Hughes did out roll Royce, so you never know.
Mastodon2
4/11/07 4:04:58PM
Serra has one big upset win and suddenly he has a chance against Hughes. A month ago, no one would have given him a chance in hell against Matt.
AchillesHeel
4/11/07 4:21:53PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Serra has one big upset win and suddenly he has a chance against Hughes.

Yes.

A month ago, no one would have given him a chance in hell against Matt.

Yes.

It's a crazy world, ain't it?

(I have no idea what that dancing banana is supposed to mean, but it always makes me laugh.)
Rush
4/11/07 7:28:57PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

(I have no idea what that dancing banana is supposed to mean, but it always makes me laugh.)

It's peanut butter jelly time.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/2006/06/peanutbutter.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut_Butter_Jelly_Time
nate22
4/11/07 9:29:18PM
First off, all I see here is NOBODY WANTS TO TAKE SERRA TO GROUND. Maybe true, but you're talking about a guy who recently dominated (had to use it again lol) Royce Gracie on the ground, beat BJ, and rolled with a hell of alot of decent guys who have alot more strength and power than Serra has. Hughes is one of the strongest guys and it will play a huge part in beating Serra who normally fought at 155.

Serra is jokes on the ground don't get me wrong but it's not as if he's finished many top guys other than GSP.
StorminYourman
4/11/07 11:19:56PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Serra has one big upset win and suddenly he has a chance against Hughes. A month ago, no one would have given him a chance in hell against Matt.

I woulda.
jaba
4/12/07 12:26:43AM
Hopefully Serra can keep it standing and rock Hughes back too hillbilly heaven, unfortunately id have too say hughes by boring ass Unanimous decision by lay and pray smotherage as usual.
roadking95th
4/12/07 12:30:35AM
Hughes by one of those boring ass, VISCIOUS GnP. Looks like a lot of money to be made for Hughes fans.
methodman_90
4/12/07 2:04:05PM
Serra is gonna come after Hughes on their feet but I predict Hughes by GnP stoppage or decision, coz I don't think serra's takedown defense is a great as GSP's. Anyway I think GSP and Koscheck should fight to get a shot at the title. This could lead to the very marketable GSP VS. Hughes 3
GhettoRedneck
4/12/07 2:07:58PM
serra wanted it bad enough to take it from Gsp who's better than Hughes. whats to stop him from kicking huges butt. plus his last performace agianst liddel wasn't to impressive
do the math Serra / GSP = Serra / hughes
Pages: [1] 2