Serra vs GSP

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Serra vs GSP
Next Page »
keith-hackney1
3/29/07 4:41:52PM
I know theres alot of GSP fans out there, but im a huge fan of Matt Serra and if he was to pull off the greatest upset to date he would really shake things up in the welterweight division, and make me ******* rich on this mma site.
Personally, i dont feel he can strike with GSP coz he'll get knocked out, but his ground game is awesome, and for someone who's never quite made it to champion status, He's got nothing to loose and everything to gain in this fight.
I think he does have a decent shot, GSP is always injured and that could be a big advantage to matt serra pulling out an upset. Dont get me wrong GSP is awesome and a phenomenal athlete who is probebly eating bullets for breakfast being at the top of his game, and being the champ. Should be a good one.
Anyone eles think Matt Serra could pull off an upset ???
cheers

Look at hackneys man boobs, He could be sly stallone's body double in rambo 4, Its a spot on match !!!!!!!!
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2
nubby
3/29/07 5:01:10PM
Everyone knows that anything is possible. Seemingly total underdogs can pull of spectacular upsets (See Randy Couture and Tim Sylvia). But the difference here is that Serra seems to have had his chances and never quite made it to that next level. During the season I was never really impressed with his abilities. He just doesn't seem to have the tools necessary to pull out a win come fight night.
skiba97
3/29/07 5:03:49PM
Ive got to say, id be very suprised if serra made it our of the first round. I quite liked him after watching tuf, but i just dont think hes got anything on gsp.
keith-hackney1
3/29/07 5:08:04PM

Posted by nubby

Everyone knows that anything is possible. Seemingly total underdogs can pull of spectacular upsets (See Randy Couture and Tim Sylvia). But the difference here is that Serra seems to have had his chances and never quite made it to that next level. During the season I was never really impressed with his abilities. He just doesn't seem to have the tools necessary to pull out a win come fight night.

I agree. Thats what makes it all the more possible for an upset, It always happens when we dont see it coming. I believe that the better trained fighter provails.
I know that serra has done all the right things in the build up to this fight and those things are simple things like, stay off the radio, stay out out the limelight, lock yourself away and train hard. Thats the only way he'd ever have a shot at the champ. I think that serra thought he would be facing hughes, and because the former champ slated the gracie name after he beat royce, Serra would of gone out to face hughes with that on his mind, to fire him up. Now he's fighting GSP its got to be a tougher challenge for him.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/29/07 5:30:44PM
IMO Serra would make a greater impact in the LW division than WW. Hes a smaller WW and his reach is a big dissadvantage to him IMO. Serra is good but GSP will take it for sure
ffforgottenx
3/29/07 5:34:12PM
i like matt serra as a fighter, i respect matt serra as a fighter and as a JJ instructor, but i just don't see him being able to take GSP out in any way, shape, or form.. I think knowing he is fighting Serra, GSP will put a little more time into his JJ, so IF the fight does hit the ground (which I don't think it will unless GSP takes it there), he will be ready for anything.. but I'm already seeing a first round KO for GSP..

but hey, its a fight, anything can happen
keith-hackney1
3/29/07 5:36:42PM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

IMO Serra would make a greater impact in the LW division than WW. Hes a smaller WW and his reach is a big dissadvantage to him IMO. Serra is good but GSP will take it for sure

Your right, with some hard training and some lower ranked fights in order to work up the lw division, he could be a great fighter. I dont believe its fair to put uf4 winners against the world champs. The only reason that serra is doing it is coz of the money and a shot out of nothing to a belt. The ufc should of kept it as a 6 figure contract to first place winners. I will be at least be happy if serra puts up a good performance, that way he might get another chance in ufc at lw.
pv3Hpv3p
3/29/07 6:00:20PM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Serra's def a natural lightweight... It's crazy what some of those guy do to get on that show... Didn't Florian fight at MW on the show? The guy looks a small 155 (and kinda like Ben Stiller)
Rush
3/29/07 6:33:47PM

Posted by nubby

Seemingly total underdogs can pull of spectacular upsets (See Randy Couture and Tim Sylvia).

Are you saying that Randy was the underdog? Did you watch UFC 68? Their poll suggested that over 75% of the people thought Randy would win prior to the fight. Mind you, it is hard to separate those that thought he would win from those that wanted him to win.

As for the Serra GSP fight.... From what I've seen from Serra is that he is 50:50 with subs and decisions (for his wins). His loss to Carter would've been a decision win had it not been for the famous spinning backfist because he dominated the whole match.

All of Serra's wins in the last 4+ years have been by decision. He has not been able to finish anyone in a long time.

Even if he survives all 5 rounds, I don't think he has enough talent on his feet to get enough points for a decision win and I don't think GSP is 'unskilled' enough as far as grappling for Serra to dominate him on the ground. If Hughes couldn't take GSP down, then Serra is not going to do it.

Also, Ivan Menjivar fought and lost to Serra by decision. Ivan trains with GSP and David in Montreal. I'm sure he's had some inside info for Georges.

The only way Serra can pull this off is is by something 'flukey' happening, like a slip or strange collision or something.
gimmper
3/29/07 7:17:36PM
Matt will beat GSP IMO of course....Soft spirits make for sore asses in this sport...look into GSP's eyes...the spirit never lies. Outcome IMO of course: GSP comes out strong swinging for the KO Matt ducks takes him down and within 1 minute of struggling gets the armbar...the rest is history...and my prediction priceless...thank you and long live the Gluttons
mkiv9secsupra
3/29/07 7:18:30PM
Serra is good with subs but this match isnt going to the ground. and the reach is going to be too much for serra to even get in close
hathcock32
3/29/07 8:42:35PM
Did Matt Serra take Chris Lytle down?? How in the world is he going to get GSP down. If somehow he does...is he strong enough to acually get GSP in a submission. Serra has no chance....not even on the ground, although a fluke punch is always a possibility. IMO this is the most lopsided match of all the crazy matches in the last few months.

" dont forget to Use your foot stomps", Matt.

Serra 1rd KO (FOOT STOMPS) is his only chance
hippysmacker
3/29/07 9:34:51PM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

yep, I give Serra a 1% chance only. GSP is that good IMO
Gladiator
3/29/07 11:26:12PM

Posted by gimmper

Matt will beat GSP IMO of course....Soft spirits make for sore asses in this sport...look into GSP's eyes...the spirit never lies. Outcome IMO of course: GSP comes out strong swinging for the KO Matt ducks takes him down and within 1 minute of struggling gets the armbar...the rest is history...and my prediction priceless...thank you and long live the Gluttons

please send me a wager for this fight after april 5th im serious! this fight is either going to be a reenactment of Hughes vs Gracie or an amazing KO addition to GSPs highlight reel.... my bet is on the latter
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/30/07 12:10:25AM

Posted by gimmper

I will bet you all my e-money when hughes/gsp2 happens
Svartorm
3/30/07 3:00:59AM
Serra is a very good pure BJJ guy, but his takedowns are sub-par and his stand-up is less than fantastic as well. Unless GSP goes in, loses his head, and gets caught I can't see him dropping his belt.
keith-hackney1
3/30/07 7:30:42AM

Posted by Svartorm

Serra is a very good pure BJJ guy, but his takedowns are sub-par and his stand-up is less than fantastic as well. Unless GSP goes in, loses his head, and gets caught I can't see him dropping his belt.

Dont you all agree on this post that serra would have a much better career in the ufc as he is now, if he was to drop down to light weight and worked his way up in that division. ???
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
nubby
3/30/07 11:46:57AM
I just don't see Serra as a top contender in any division. He's a middle tier fighter and I don't think he will ever get past that.
nellyhiphophead
3/30/07 11:50:57AM

Posted by nubby

I just don't see Serra as a top contender in any division. He's a middle tier fighter and I don't think he will ever get past that.

i feel the same a good gatekeeper. he is like the guy that if you can get past him you cna move up to the main card and off the undercards.
u_f_c
4/7/07 1:39:08AM
no....... just no....... sure in a fight, anything can happen, but Serra vs. GSP? are u kidding me, GSP is a way bigger athlete than Serra by far, and is way more well rounded.
Nacho
4/7/07 4:53:37AM
Serra likes the pasta too much to be a light weight. This fight will force a diet though. He can't take guys like Hughs and St. Pierre. Too small.
Nacho
4/8/07 2:54:30AM
Serra can eat his pasta. I will eat my words.
Ydoc
4/8/07 3:01:36AM
keith-hackney1 just pulled one over on us. Great job man... you got one guy to give you 5 to 1 odds.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
ronco_loid
4/8/07 3:28:07AM
I'm glad GSP lost. i picked him to win but i hate him
ronco_loid
4/8/07 3:29:56AM

Posted by nubby

NOW HE IS THE CHAMP
keith-hackney1
4/8/07 10:10:55AM

Posted by Ydoc

keith-hackney1 just pulled one over on us. Great job man... you got one guy to give you 5 to 1 odds.

I dont blame y'all for thinking i was mad, GSP is or should i say was considered as the best welterweight on the planet. It might of been a shot in the dark to pick serra as a winner. I dont believe there is any easy fight, especially now ufc own pride, mma fighters are all training at top level because of the amount of cash involved these days, its a full time job now where as a few years back most were semi pro. I knew serra would do it, hence all the bets i took. He is very underated, he has defenately surprised me as he has clearly upped his stand up game.
Fair play to the guy, cant wait to see him bust up hughes !!!!
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
JunCTion
4/8/07 11:35:59AM
im not gonna get overconfident with anybody for now on wandy, now gsp. whos next, chuck?
nubby
4/8/07 1:59:13PM
Props to Matt Serra, I was definitely wrong on this one. He looked damn good in that fight. 100% deserves that belt.
JunCTion
4/8/07 2:19:22PM

Posted by nubby

Props to Matt Serra, I was definitely wrong on this one. He looked damn good in that fight. 100% deserves that belt.

i dont know if i would say you (or the 98% of us) were definitely wrong on this one. he did what none of us expected. i would assume that most fighters prepar to fight by working on their strengths and how to defend their opponents strengths, or like chuck who only works on his strength and gameplan nomatter who hes fighting. not one single person (not even the 2%) would have guessed that serra would leave his grappling outside the cage door and come prepared to fight his opponents style and win by tko.

none of us were wrong. he dupped usall. hats off to serra who ive always liked but would never pick to win the way the ww are stacked now..
Rush
4/8/07 2:45:38PM

Posted by ronco_loid

I'm glad GSP lost. i picked him to win but i hate him

Why do you hate him?
Pages: [1] 2