Serious Question

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Serious Question
rface1988
11/3/10 3:57:46PM
I was thinking about how weight advantages can effect the outcomes of fights. Got me thinking...........dead serious

Who would win a boxing match
Brock Lesnar(265) vs Manny Pacquiao(at say 160)???

would brock ko him with ease?
would manny tool him and outpoint him..

Not trolling just starting a fun topic
SmileR
11/3/10 3:59:31PM
If Brock Lesnar connected with a punch on Manny Pacquiao, Pacquiao would explode into dust!
State_Champ
11/3/10 6:54:40PM

Posted by SmileR

If Brock Lesnar connected with a punch on Manny Pacquiao, Pacquiao would explode into dust!

Brock wouldn't touch Pacquiao.
I'll take Pac Man.
tcunningham
11/3/10 7:32:17PM
the problem is theres no dirty boxing in the real boxing so brock would have to actually land a solid punch from outside the clinch. that being said the ring is only so big so IMO manny couldnt run from brock forever. i see it much like the ernesto hoost vs bob sapp K-1 bout. hoost was f**king sapp up with body kicks until sapp got him cornered and handed his giant canned hams on hoost.
FireballKid
11/3/10 7:40:41PM
Agreed, Brock would have to try and land an outside punch and you know dirty boxing is his thing. Brock would have to get an unbelievably lucky shot because Pacquaio's main strategy would be to evade.
jiujitsufreak74
11/3/10 8:18:56PM
there are reasons there are weight classes...i'll take brock in a twelve round fight. if it were one round, pac man can avoid damage, but brocks gonna connect eventually and bully his way to winning the majority of rounds.
Pookie
11/3/10 8:32:39PM
Oh if this is boxing, Brock gets stopped before he lands a punch.

He's too slow with his delivery, he never throws a punch without first rolling his shoulder into it. Pacquaio would parry and counter-punch for as long as it took. But add in the fact that brock doesnt respond well when he gets hit, and i think its a pretty obvious conclusion that Pacman beats him in the first round when brock realizes that he's not going to stop getting punched, even for a second, and gives up.

If the sports were reversed and it was a Klitschko brother against Jose Aldo in MMA, than i would give the edge to the bigger guy. But brock is just not built for boxing. All the wrong tools and area's developed.
Playground_Samurai
11/3/10 9:49:42PM

Posted by Pookie

He's too slow with his delivery, he never throws a punch without first rolling his shoulder into it. Pacquaio would parry and counter-punch for as long as it took. But add in the fact that brock doesnt respond well when he gets hit, and i think its a pretty obvious conclusion that Pacman beats him in the first round when brock realizes that he's not going to stop getting punched, even for a second, and gives up.

If the sports were reversed and it was a Klitschko brother against Jose Aldo in MMA, than i would give the edge to the bigger guy. But brock is just not built for boxing. All the wrong tools and area's developed.

You may be right about PacMan/Lesnar, I don't know. However, i'd have to think Klitschko would end up getting submitted in an MMA fight with Jose Aldo.
Pookie
11/3/10 10:03:14PM

Posted by gspfan

Posted by Pookie

You may be right about PacMan/Lesnar, I don't know. However, i'd have to think Klitschko would end up getting submitted in an MMA fight with Jose Aldo.

Yeah, i think across the same sport, the bigger man holds a decisive advantage. But transferring from Mma to boxing or boxing to mma is going to be an uphill struggle if your fighting the best at a weight class.

I can see Aldo getting the W, but i can also see Klitsko's reach being the equalizer with the type of fast hands he has. However, i can not see brock lesnar beating any top level boxer in a boxing match, regardless of weight.

warglory
11/3/10 11:51:49PM
I doubt Manny could knock Brock out with both of Brock's bands tied behind his back. He's too small to generate the power to knock out a man the size of Lesnar.
FastKnockout
11/4/10 1:01:14AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

there are reasons there are weight classes...i'll take brock in a twelve round fight. if it were one round, pac man can avoid damage, but brocks gonna connect eventually and bully his way to winning the majority of rounds.

And what if it doesn't end in round 1? Or 2? Or 3? Who has the better gas tank hand made for boxing? I'd take Pac.
TimW001
11/4/10 3:13:20AM
Pac Man by having boxing experience. If you have ever been in a boxing gym and watched sparring sessions, you'll notice that regardless of size, the more skilled and experienced fighter tends to get the better of the exchanges.
Pookie
11/4/10 3:25:56AM

Posted by warglory

I doubt Manny could knock Brock out with both of Brock's bands tied behind his back. He's too small to generate the power to knock out a man the size of Lesnar.

If both of brock's hands were tied behind his back, im pretty sure Pac-man would permenantly disfigure him by the beginning of round 2. Brock may take a heavyweight hit(debatable), but when he gets bombarded by constant punches he literally runs away. Pacquiao has the power to leave bruises the size of melons on your face, and thats against people who move out of the way well.
AchillesHeel
11/4/10 10:16:22AM

Posted by Pookie

Yeah, i think across the same sport, the bigger man holds a decisive advantage. But transferring from Mma to boxing or boxing to mma is going to be an uphill struggle if your fighting the best at a weight class.

I agree. With few exceptions, the best people in a particular discipline don't become the best in another, even with training. Many MMA fighters who we call "wrestlers" would get taken to school by a world-class wrestler in a wrestling match, for instance, and while I don't know a lot about boxing, I imagine that many MMA fighters who we call "boxers" would be taken apart by a champion boxer in a boxing match.

I think size is a bigger factor in wrestling than in boxing, so while I think Floyd Mayweather Jr would humiliate Brock Lesnar in a boxing match, I think Tim Sylvia would probably do better against a small wrestling champion. With no wrestling skill whatsoever, Sylvia could probably lift a 145-lb man off the mat and bring him down, which scores 3 points in Greco-Roman even if the smaller man scrambles out from under.
AchillesHeel
11/4/10 10:30:54AM

Posted by warglory

There's this little thing called "technique."

I've never studied boxing, so I can't speak specifically about that. As a rule, though, I think most sports fans don't even realize how skilled the pros really are. At a guess, if I were to box Pacquaio with his hands tied behind his back, I probably wouldn't lay a hand on him. Literally. I might not be able to hit him even once, and I probably wouldn't even know why.
AchillesHeel
11/4/10 10:37:52AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

if it were one round, pac man can avoid damage, but brocks gonna connect eventually and bully his way to winning the majority of rounds.

Even in an MMA match, Lesnar is the kind of fighter we give "a puncher's chance" (e.g. the Heath Herring and Randy Couture matches). In a standup exchange, Lesnar wouldn't "win the majority of rounds against" against an MMA-level boxer, never mind a boxing-level boxer.

I don't know how easy it is to club someone with one punch when you're wearing boxing gloves. If someone familiar with boxing says that Lesnar could one-punch Pacquaio if he connected, even with the fat gloves on, I guess I would have to believe them. However, I expect the chances of Lesnar being able to "bully" Pacquaio and win on points is next to zero. As mentioned already, Pacquiao bullying Lesnar is probably more likely.
hate4thestate
11/4/10 8:34:08PM
Darchinyan>Lesnar