I have a serious question.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » I have a serious question.
seanfu
8/17/08 3:38:35PM
Anthony Johnson vs Kevin Burns

Why is all hell not breaking loose over this. Not about the playground, but the fact that the UFC never overturned it after review. I mean, had it been a poor decision I understand there being doubt, but this was a fight with repeated eye gauging and a man jumping and screaming (could've been permanently blinded) after a confirmed gauge.

I don't understand this and am still outraged at it. Some (probably most) see it as a dead topic, but I see a guy getting shafted because he is not yet a top name.

And not necessarilly on the same topic, a palm stike is not fingers wide open and foreward. A palm strike is fingers in and palm foreward, so all the feel sorry cuz I can't jab or I'll break my hand is completely irrelivant.

I'm still completely pissed. It's like a guy getting Mike Tysoned in the ring and the ref says "if you want to quit you lose"
grappler0000
8/17/08 3:43:57PM
Well, the UFC can't overturn it...it would have to be the AC. Unfortunately, they don't have the benefit of instant reply. The ref thought he got caught with the uppercut, so that's how he called it. He knows it was a bad call...but hindsight is 20/20.
juanez13
8/17/08 3:51:06PM
the UFC cant overturn decisions, only the Athletic commissions have the power to do so. The decision has to be appealed for it to be reviewed, and rarely do they ever overturn decisions. Johnson's agent said he would appeal the decision, but thats the last thing heard about the subject, maybe he changed his mind. They could have possibly been compensated by the UFC and decided not to go through all the trouble to get the decision overturned, or simply didnt think it was worth it (would have to spend money on a variety of things).
ocho-cinco
8/17/08 4:11:54PM
I agree, it's trash that a guy gets screwed over on a fight stoppage and it's way to much of a hastle for it to get changed. I understand why, situations like this just aren't very common at all. If it wasn't hard, then people might be trying to appeal all the time. But this being a situation that truely should be over turned, you just have to feel bad for Johnson, and happy that it wasn't a more meaning full fight, like for a title shot or something. Johnson will be able to bounce back from this, and hoepfully live up to his huge potential.
Rush
8/17/08 5:08:09PM
I don't totally buy that the AC can't overturn it. I think they just don't want to because then they would be admiting that one of their own refs messed up. . . not that that would be anything we didn't already know. I think the most and best the UFC can do is give Johnson a rematch or a better fight next time and give Johnson the chance to put it behind him.
MikeyG
8/17/08 8:02:10PM
I heard Johnson was going to make an appeal in September, also heard he needed surgery. That alone should be enough.
seanfu
8/18/08 12:03:37AM
Thanks I didn't know about the athletic council having control over it.
cowcatcher
8/18/08 12:08:25AM
i think everyone is still shocked that it hasnt been overturned yet and we're waiting for it to happen because the decision was so blatantly wrong.
Mr_Dead_Sexy
8/18/08 2:38:15AM
Pretty sure it's been said, but the AC can only overturn fights. But that is pretty rare, usually only if a guy gets caught on the juice. Anthony Johnson is getting a very raw deal, and frankly, Kevin Burns would be lucky to get sanctioned again in the state, IMO.
pv3Hpv3p
8/18/08 10:01:53AM
i think it'll get overturned to a NC by the athletic commisions...

But on a side note, next time Johnson gets poked in the eye, turn your back, cover your face, jump up and down, but dropping like you got caught is not a good idea
holt8081
8/18/08 2:20:49PM
at least the ref admited he made a mistake
Dooletchetoreh
8/18/08 5:14:23PM

Posted by seanfu

Why is all hell not breaking loose over this. Not about the playground, but the fact that the UFC never overturned it after review. I mean, had it been a poor decision I understand there being doubt, but this was a fight with repeated eye gauging and a man jumping and screaming (could've been permanently blinded) after a confirmed gauge.

I don't understand this and am still outraged at it. Some (probably most) see it as a dead topic, but I see a guy getting shafted because he is not yet a top name.

And not necessarilly on the same topic, a palm stike is not fingers wide open and foreward. A palm strike is fingers in and palm foreward, so all the feel sorry cuz I can't jab or I'll break my hand is completely irrelivant.

I'm still completely pissed. It's like a guy getting Mike Tysoned in the ring and the ref says "if you want to quit you lose"

I wish I could give you multiple props on this topic. Your ******* spot on, so ******* spot on. That was a travesty to anyone who appreciates fair play. I dont care what avenue they have to go through that has to be overturned. It was so clear what happened. Theres no room for judgements like this in our sport.
Dooletchetoreh
8/18/08 5:17:00PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

But on a side note, next time Johnson gets poked in the eye, turn your back, cover your face, jump up and down, but dropping like you got caught is not a good idea

\

Oh my God, are you listening to yourself. He got poked in the eye how can you tell him how to react. When something happens like that, you get hit in THE MOST SENSITIVE part of your body, its all instinct, to tell him how he is suppossed to react is strange. You have no control over that, your not thinking about a way to show yourself so the ref figures it out, your just thinking holy shit what just happened. Come on bro think out the scneario that he went through.
MikeyG
8/18/08 10:08:56PM
Mazz should have known what happened what with the loud owww reaction and since he only warned Burns 3-4 times about it....Besides, who ever said oww really loud and kick and scream as they were being knocked out? thats right its never happened.

All that had to do be done was to check the replay and make the correction, the commission having the last word is pointless when it could be so much easier, what more proof is needed, has the commission not seen the fight replays? dosn't Johnson need eye surgery? does it really have to be a lagging process like the DMV?

This topic is frusterating, hopefully it gets changed to what it should be a DQ win for Johnson or a NC.

Mr_Dead_Sexy
8/18/08 10:15:35PM

Posted by Dooletchetoreh

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

\

Oh my God, are you listening to yourself. He got poked in the eye how can you tell him how to react. When something happens like that, you get hit in THE MOST SENSITIVE part of your body, its all instinct, to tell him how he is suppossed to react is strange. You have no control over that, your not thinking about a way to show yourself so the ref figures it out, your just thinking holy shit what just happened. Come on bro think out the scneario that he went through.

I don't think he was completely serious there homie, chill out a little.
Pitbull09
8/19/08 12:23:41AM

Posted by seanfu

Yea, Im still ticked at this. UFC cant fix it now, only the commission can and they are to stupid to not overturn it. I want to see a boxing match where a guy knees his opponent til he cant get up and the ref counts to ten and awards the cheaters. That would be the comparison with Anthony Johnson.

Johnson is on his way up the WW ladder regardless though and Im sure he will get better fights ahead and Joe Silva will see his last fight as a positive for Johnson as he was winning every round./
fonduktoe
8/20/08 3:14:31AM
johnson got screwed and if there is any justice in the world the decision will get overturned
i don't want to hate on mazzagati over this but this is one of many bad calls he has made in the past year