UFC security guards!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » UFC security guards!
Naturaldisaster
7/8/08 3:08:32PM
Why do they have old men walking the fighters out to the octagon? Seriously, what the hell would these old guys be able to do if some fans decided to try to attack a fighter or somethin? I've never understood this
Rush
7/8/08 3:12:03PM
Maybe some/all of them are cops. ???? Other than that I generally quesiton the stock of security guards in general.

Why do they have old men, woman, out of shape men (young and old) and tiny little 100lb girls as security guards in any mall, event, store?

When someone can answer that, I'm sure the answer to your question will be answered.
EON
7/8/08 3:14:24PM
thats a good point, there not always old

Actually ive always wondered why theres an extra security guard next to the fighters in the introductions... like the fighters are actually gonna fight the other guy and get DQ'd and probably put in jail or go after bruce buffer... its kinda dumb to think that these fighters dont have self control.
Naturaldisaster
7/8/08 3:21:57PM
Maybe they have an AK47 hidden underneath their red jackets
bullettdodger
7/8/08 3:42:20PM
It is probably because they don't want dumb ass fans jumping the barrier and rushing the fighter thusly impeding the fighter or possibly injuring the fighter on the way to the ring/octagon. Basically they are a wall of flesh, so the stockier the better. As for why people hire old and stocky people in malls and stuff, i guess it is more deterrence that anything, people are less likely to do something if they think someone is watching them.
EON
7/8/08 3:45:33PM

Posted by bullettdodger

It is probably because they don't want dumb ass fans jumping the barrier and rushing the fighter thusly impeding the fighter or possibly injuring the fighter on the way to the ring/octagon. Basically they are a wall of flesh, so the stockier the better. As for why people hire old and stocky people in malls and stuff, i guess it is more deterrence that anything, people are less likely to do something if they think someone is watching them.

I see your logic here, however dont they have lots of security outside the cage?
mkiv9secsupra
7/8/08 4:01:33PM

Posted by Naturaldisaster
Seriously, what the hell would these old guys be able to do if some fans decided to try to attack a fighter or somethin? I've never understood this

probably pull out there firearms and possibly shoot you....

...........i dont think they carry it for looks...................
TWITA
7/8/08 4:37:31PM
I actually attended UFC 86 (first one) and was pretty amazed at the length (or lack thereof) of travel from the entrance area to the octagon. The distance the fighters travel from the exit of the locker room area to the front of the octagon at the Mandalay Bay Events Center is really only about 100 feet (or less). It seems like much more on TV. Plus, the crowd (eventhough they can reach down and touch the fighter's) wouldn't (easily) be able to jump down into the entrance area.
Naturaldisaster
7/8/08 4:44:41PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by Naturaldisaster
Seriously, what the hell would these old guys be able to do if some fans decided to try to attack a fighter or somethin? I've never understood this

probably pull out there firearms and possibly shoot you....

...........i dont think they carry it for looks...................

Ive never seen one of them with a gun
Matimus
7/8/08 6:42:50PM
they've never had to pull them.
JimiMak
7/8/08 6:53:04PM
security guard =/= body guard
warglory
7/8/08 7:06:42PM
I bet they are more there to babysit the fighter and his entourage than to "protect" them. I have seen the red coated devils hustling the fighters along when they lallygag with fans or people they know in the audience. The UFC are masters at keeping the matches isolated in a three hour time slot, and this is probably one of those reasons. You notice how Elite XC didn't have these guys when Phil Baroni came out? Took that dude forever!
big_timmy
7/8/08 7:31:37PM
I've always wondered...

Does a dude like Anderson Silva really need protecting? What could a guard do that the Spida couldnt?
holt8081
7/8/08 10:29:23PM
I think they would protect the fans against the fighters
bigbubbano23
7/8/08 10:33:37PM
they are there to deter any actions that might take place if they were not there. I know that they are old and hefty but the fact that they are there stops many actions from taking place, and if they do they are more serious because it was against a law enforcment official.
Rush
7/8/08 11:27:30PM

Posted by big_timmy

I've always wondered...

Does a dude like Anderson Silva really need protecting? What could a guard do that the Spida couldnt?

considering I have seen UFC events where they let them drink from beer bottles (I know can you believe it) I am sure the fighter's well being is of concern.

What happens if a fan hits a fighter or pokes him in the eye or cuts him with something? That fight gets canceled. Then what happens

Fans upset?
Fighters don't get paid?
Lawsuits?

The fighter is supposed to be focused on his job to fight in the ring, not be focused on the idiots that might hurt him on his way to the ring.