Is Secondary going to die? Nobody does picks!!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Is Secondary going to die? Nobody does picks!!
JoeWarren33
1/20/11 11:23:03AM
Ok I gotta ASK this.
Does anyone even care about Secondary league now that WEC is done?

Final event last season was a mess because we didn't have over 600 total picks on any fight, and the last event of the year was a dud because we couldnt wager.
I even tried to go look at how many picked on this event, and it wouldnt show me because we barely got any picks. Also we cant even wager yet again.

So I gotta ask, for the people who do care (like me) can we try and recruit friends or family to join the secondary site. We need to get it back to full power.
I know WEC is gone, but who cares lol
Recruit people!
emfleek
1/20/11 11:32:11AM
Part of the issue is explained in this thread...

LINK

However, I would definitely say that interest has diminished dramatically over the course of time. I'm even guilty of it. I find myself either forgetting or just not being able to find time to do get my picks entered.

Personally, I'd like to see the Secondary league absorbed into the Primary league. A mod said it best when he said this is MMAPlayground...not UFCPlayground.
Twenty20Dollars
1/20/11 11:51:25AM
And then the struggles with secondary to, losing WEC, SF doesnt always have a full card and putting together combo cards and DREAM or whatever with their late additions.
Franklinfan47
1/20/11 12:11:39PM

Posted by JoeWarren33

Ok I gotta ASK this.
Does anyone even care about Secondary league now that WEC is done?

Final event last season was a mess because we didn't have over 600 total picks on any fight, and the last event of the year was a dud because we couldnt wager.
I even tried to go look at how many picked on this event, and it wouldnt show me because we barely got any picks. Also we cant even wager yet again.

So I gotta ask, for the people who do care (like me) can we try and recruit friends or family to join the secondary site. We need to get it back to full power.
I know WEC is gone, but who cares lol
Recruit people!

It may not even have to do with numbers. If you look over in the game talk forum, it could be due to programming issues that these things are happening because its happening in the primary league now as well.

But ya, now that WEC is gone the secondary league is definately hurting. I dont know if combining is the answer though, I really wouldnt want to mix (for example) Tachi Palace Fights because I have no idea who 90% of the fighters are.
JoeWarren33
1/20/11 2:53:06PM
Well I think just getting the word out about this site is the only help (I can think of) to get Secondary strong again.
Also possibility Dream may fold now, so if anything Secondary will just lose more people.
I also agree with previous post (tachi fights)only lmerge into the Primary league only if it is Sengoku,Strikeforce and Dream (until it folds).
Cooler
1/20/11 2:53:55PM
Better question is, is this site going to die?
BlueSkiesBurn
1/20/11 6:20:39PM

Posted by Cooler

Better question is, is this site going to die?

It's certainly looking that way. I believe that DoTheMMAth purchased the site for 30k. Back in June of 2010 the site was worth just over 18k. Right now it's valued at a hair over 16k. $16,169.5 to be exact. The site itself is only pulling $22 a day in revenue based off ads.

We need to tell our friends, have them tell their friends, and have them tell their friends, because, realistically, it's becoming a drain of an investment and won't survive much longer with traffic slowing down as much as it has.
papercut
1/20/11 6:53:48PM
there are a ton (probably in the range of 100s) of posters that have disappeared from the site altogether. a lot of the members that joined within the first 6 months that still lurk or post will concur.

when I joined way back when, this site was blowing up. at any point during the day there were hundreds of registered members online and thousands of visitors. as everyone has noticed we're lucky to have over 100 registered users online at any one time. (I joined when we were still under the original betting system)

since then there have been several bans which included many of the daily posters. I do not fault the decisions of the mods and admins for the decision but I do believe the strict rules are what are doing it. I am by no means advocating that we ditch the rules and allow this to turn into sherdog. but we cannot ignore the the problem altogether. maybe look into renovating the game and maybe have the mods and admins discuss the current rules and regulations to see if there is any room for improvement.

I'd hate to see this site die. its my personal mma haven.
ncordless
1/20/11 7:04:00PM
I am not going to comment on the health of the site as a whole besides letting everyone know that there is a programming issue with the picks and wagers which is being worked on as we speak. Broader concerns which people have expressed are also being considered. Things are different than they have been in the past. We hear you. . . I promise. There will be more info. soon.

Now, addressing the Secondary league. In my opinion there is no doubt that the end of the UFC combined with the general consolidation of USA MMA into the UFC (really the only companies of note that are left are Strikeforce and Bellator) and the decline of Japanese MMA have left the Secondary league bare. But as long as there is quality mma going on outside of the UFC, I think we should keep the league. It might not advance as much as it used to, and it might have some more obscure combo cards, but it is still worth it.
BlueSkiesBurn
1/20/11 7:05:25PM

Posted by papercut

there are a ton (probably in the range of 100s) of posters that have disappeared from the site altogether. a lot of the members that joined within the first 6 months that still lurk or post will concur.

when I joined way back when, this site was blowing up. at any point during the day there were hundreds of registered members online and thousands of visitors. as everyone has noticed we're lucky to have over 100 registered users online at any one time. (I joined when we were still under the original betting system)

since then there have been several bans which included many of the daily posters. I do not fault the decisions of the mods and admins for the decision but I do believe the strict rules are what are doing it. I am by no means advocating that we ditch the rules and allow this to turn into sherdog. but we cannot ignore the the problem altogether. maybe look into renovating the game and maybe have the mods and admins discuss the current rules and regulations to see if there is any room for improvement.

I'd hate to see this site die. its my personal mma haven.

Site traffic appears to be steady, actually on the rise. Or at least that's what the statistics indicate. It was ranked 163771 three months ago and now it's ranked 152954.

Traffic appears to be on the rise *crosses fingers.*

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a less strict forum for premium members. Maybe a forum where topics that aren't allowed on the normal playground can be discussed but still moderated.

I understand that premium member doesn't mean quality poster, but the vast majority of our premium members that are regular posters are people that I would consider to be quality posters. People who can handle political-esque and other topics that normally get locked.

Or if not "premium" members, maybe a forum that's only available to those that are "heavyweight champs" or better. At least by then you have a good idea of how many posts they have made without being banned.

It offers an incentive for people to post regularly in the forums so they can build up their status to see what's in that forum.
BlueSkiesBurn
1/20/11 7:09:42PM

Posted by ncordless

Now, addressing the Secondary league. In my opinion there is no doubt that the end of the UFC combined with the general consolidation of USA MMA into the UFC (really the only companies of note that are left are Strikeforce and Bellator) and the decline of Japanese MMA have left the Secondary league bare.

UFC ended!?!?! Now the site's really screwed
ncordless
1/20/11 7:45:48PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by ncordless

Now, addressing the Secondary league. In my opinion there is no doubt that the end of the UFC combined with the general consolidation of USA MMA into the UFC (really the only companies of note that are left are Strikeforce and Bellator) and the decline of Japanese MMA have left the Secondary league bare.

Sorry, too many things at once right now. I meant the WEC. I am writing two cover letters for job applications, a legal brief of Mapp v Ohio, a persuasive memo about "reasonable accommodation" for a muslim police officer who has grown a beard even though police policy forbids it who is suing under title VII (anyone know what kind of gas masks muslim countries use?), and a nasty email to Bob Reilly for his recent facebook status vowing to do everything in his power to keep MMA out of New York.

I am not sure I am making sense in any of them.
BlueSkiesBurn
1/20/11 7:48:15PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by ncordless

Sorry, too many things at once right now. I meant the WEC. I am writing two cover letters for job applications, a legal brief of Mapp v Ohio, a persuasive memo about "reasonable accommodation" for a muslim police officer who has grown a beard even though police policy forbids it who is suing under title VII (anyone know what kind of gas masks muslim countries use?), and a nasty email to Bob Reilly for his recent facebook status vowing to do everything in his power to keep MMA out of New York.

Photo of a muslim wearing a gas mask
sbulldavid
1/20/11 7:54:22PM
I like that this is a very respectful site, but I don't think everybody needs a lifetime ban. I see a few names banned from the forums that are among the best in playground history, I think everybody deserves a second chance.
ncordless
1/20/11 7:59:03PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by ncordless

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by ncordless

Any idea what kind of gas mask that is?
What I am searching for is what, if any, kind of gas mask works with a beard.
BlueSkiesBurn
1/20/11 8:11:21PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by ncordless

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by ncordless

Any idea what kind of gas mask that is?
What I am searching for is what, if any, kind of gas mask works with a beard.

It didn't give the specifics, but Jae1833 or Jackelope might actually know the answer to that.
Chael_Sonnen
1/20/11 8:25:53PM
This is my personal favorite MMA website....I look forward to my daily playground fix....I hope it's alive and healthy for a long, long time.
Kpro
1/22/11 9:43:44AM
I say we pool all of our money together and put the MMAPlayground logo on a fighter's shorts. I got a crisp twenty spot on it, anyone willing to put up five figures ?
DCRage
1/22/11 9:52:44AM
One word: CondomDepot.
prozacnation1978
1/27/11 3:58:29PM
I enjoy doing secondary

With dream add adding tpc mfc strikeforce challengers
And in march bellator. Doing a two week grouped together for bellator u can get a 9 fight card out of it.
Even without wec. Secondary will survive
pmoney
1/28/11 4:01:55PM
I love this site a ton. Everyone I talk to, be it co-workers, friends, etc, I ask them, "5o you like MMA?" If they say yes I tell them about the site. I have had a few friends create accounts, and I am definitely looking in to paying for premium membership.

I love secondary too. I don't know as many of the combatants since WEC is in UFC now, so I have to spend a pretty good amount of time trying to find videos on these guys, checking out their records, etc... Maybe some people are not interested in spending that kind of time on their picks... I love it though, I love the sport, I love the site, I am gonna do everything I can to try and get traffic this way