Just had my second mma fight yesterday

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Just had my second mma fight yesterday
kamikaze15208
12/15/08 1:33:16AM
I just had my second amateur mma fight yesterday. I am normally a 145 pounder but the promotor was having trouble finding me a 145 so I told him I could fight at 155 and he found me a guy right away. I am the one in the red and black board shorts. Feel free to give me advice/criticism and I hope you enjoy it I had a lot of fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpSvTzG5kvU

by the way this was at ICE 37 in Cincinnati.
scoozna
12/15/08 11:26:08AM
Nice toss right into full mount. That guy looked a bit bigger than you, although tough to tell in the grainy video.

Congrats and keep the wins coming.
The-Don
12/15/08 1:00:03PM
to me he looked like he had a good 30-40 pounds on you, yea and great toss and getting the mount..
BigEvil
12/15/08 1:19:42PM
Congratulations! keep on trucking and keep us posted on when and where you are fighting.
4u2nv
12/15/08 1:29:38PM
wow he did look much bigger then u. But u did a great job and kept ur cool when he was in ur guard, protected urself from his strikes and looked like u had a triangle maybe and he couldn't slam u bc u had a over hook on his leg. It was all good only thing i can say is work on keeping ur hands up a little more bc u dont want anyone to just get lucky.
higdon10
12/15/08 6:48:11PM
Nice fight bro. Really impressive.
kamikaze15208
12/15/08 6:55:27PM

Posted by 4u2nv

wow he did look much bigger then u. But u did a great job and kept ur cool when he was in ur guard, protected urself from his strikes and looked like u had a triangle maybe and he couldn't slam u bc u had a over hook on his leg. It was all good only thing i can say is work on keeping ur hands up a little more bc u dont want anyone to just get lucky.

Yeah its a good thing I taped the fight because I honestly did not realize just how low I was carrying my hands. Luckily from watching it and getting feedback on it (not to mention the right hook I caught square in the face in round.2) I can fix that for my next fight. It funny how you do something and you dont even realize it until its brought to your attention or you see it. Thanks for the advice.
The_Ho_Bag
12/15/08 10:23:09PM
that's dumb when i do ama MMA i gotta wear safety gloves and shin guards
no head kicks and no GnP to the face. nice job though i like
kamikaze15208
12/15/08 11:49:08PM

Posted by The_Ho_Bag

we have no kicks to the head standing, no elbows period, and no knees to the head. That sucks about having to wear shin guards and safety gloves but safety is really important. What state are you from?, you guys' athletic commission must be really strict.
Diamondback2
12/16/08 2:49:19AM
Yeah aside for your hands (which you said you noticed already) you looked pretty good man. That toss was A-1.

U crossed ur legs in the armbar which isnt highly recommended but it looks like u did that more to keep control as u fixed it right away.

I'm impressed

Yea and that dude looks like he cut form 165-170 lol!
kamikaze15208
12/16/08 12:17:44PM

Posted by Diamondback2

Yeah aside for your hands (which you said you noticed already) you looked pretty good man. That toss was A-1.

U crossed ur legs in the armbar which isnt highly recommended but it looks like u did that more to keep control as u fixed it right away.

I'm impressed

Yea and that dude looks like he cut form 165-170 lol!

yeah crossing my legs is a bad old habit right when I did it I just remembered one of my bjj coaches erin miller yelling at me to keep my left leg as tight as i can over his face and I fixed it right away. lol thanks for the advice and compliments.
Wolfenstein
12/16/08 2:09:09PM
Yeah I'm surprised you guys don't have to wear shin guards. I've had two amateur bouts, one in Massachusetts and one in Connecticut, and in both states we had to wear shin guards.

Looked good, as others have mentioned you did tend to drop your hands, particularly when throwing kicks. Pivoting or walking up the fence is another area you might want to continue working on. I don't know, maybe you feel comfortable on the fence, personally I hate being pressed against the fence. Looked like you were thinking triangle, then went to the armbar, couldn't see how he got out, looked like you had it deep, just no room to roll over.

Nice wizzer at the end, you just ragdolled him to the ground. Mount looked solid as well, very technically sound. Good luck in the future.
The_Ho_Bag
12/16/08 11:09:52PM

Posted by kamikaze15208

Posted by The_Ho_Bag

we have no kicks to the head standing, no elbows period, and no knees to the head. That sucks about having to wear shin guards and safety gloves but safety is really important. What state are you from?, you guys' athletic commission must be really strict.

NJ, CT area
Diamondback2
12/17/08 1:52:09PM

Posted by kamikaze15208
yeah crossing my legs is a bad old habit right when I did it I just remembered one of my bjj coaches erin miller yelling at me to keep my left leg as tight as i can over his face and I fixed it right away. lol thanks for the advice and compliments.

Yeah i tend to cross my legs too alot. It just feels like the best way but u got a good corner so they noticed that!

Keep it up man!

Just out of curiosity how long have you been training?
kamikaze15208
12/25/08 1:01:03AM

Posted by Diamondback2

Posted by kamikaze15208

Yeah i tend to cross my legs too alot. It just feels like the best way but u got a good corner so they noticed that!

Keep it up man!

Just out of curiosity how long have you been training?

I have been training on and off for about two years and got serious about 4 months ago. I wrestled for three years in high school and was just adding little bits to my bjj game from instructionals and working with a few assistant coaches/friends who did mma and once i got out of high school got in with a local gym.
MisterPatron
12/27/08 2:36:22AM
Has anyone heard of Victory Tap out in illinois?