sean sherk will walk through BJ

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » sean sherk will walk through BJ
Next Page »
TheHitmanTL
7/13/07 2:03:40AM
idk but i think bjs only chance is a guillotine or a lucky ass punch
cmill21
7/13/07 2:16:10AM
Nah, Bj's beat hughes, probly could have taken GSP. His cardio issue was his biggest problem. If he keeps that figured out, you should ba asking the question will BJ walk through sherk?
ProfessorChaos
7/13/07 2:25:06AM
Cardio is a whole different story when you're fighting Sherk. Unless he drastically improves his cardio he will lose to Sherk.

If he improves his cardio then he stands a chance to hang with him. BJ with good cardio has a good chance of pulling off a sub over a 25 min fight. If he gases though he's done.

I'll take Sherk UD
cmill21
7/13/07 2:33:04AM
I see this as a fight that will be finished...BJ by round 3 sub, most likely a choke. Bj's stand up is signifigantly better then franca's. Expect BJ to take the LW belt.
Northrend
7/13/07 3:13:34AM
Well BJ beat Hughes and Sherk is a mini-Hughes...BJ barely lost to GSP (I mean barely) and Sherk got beatup by GSP. BJ Penn has looked in better shape then usuall lately. Sherk won't be able to take BJ down IMO, and get beatup on the feet. If Sherk gets BJ down I can assure you he will not be able to pass BJ's guard like he did Franca's.
buckndro
7/13/07 3:41:47AM
well i dont see sherk running thru bj, aslong as they stated he gets goin on his cardio he shall be able to defeat him for sure unless sherk sits on him like he did last fight he had but pj way better on ground an can stand up
hippysmacker
7/13/07 3:50:42AM
BJ has much better stand up and takedown defense than Franca. I think it will be a war, 50/50 fight, as long as Bj is in shape.
Twenty20Dollars
7/13/07 9:31:45AM
I think sherk is going to just explode threw BJ. 1,2 punch combo take down. Since he could possibly be the underdog but not to me. I'd rather see BJ move up and fight hughes again.

Sherk TKO in 3rd or 4th. Ground and Pound.
TheRealClayman
7/13/07 9:52:54AM
I don't think Sherk will run through Penn. penn is one of the most intelligent , versatile fighters out there. I think that Penn has just as much a chance to win off his back than any other position he would be in. I think it would make for an intriguing match up. That is for certain.
AchillesHeel
7/13/07 10:29:29AM
This fight could clearly go either way, which is exactly why I want to see it. Nobody in the Lightweight division other than Penn can give Sherk a fight, at the moment. I think some of it will depend on the referee. Someone who likes to stand guys up will advantage Penn.

Standup: Advantage to Penn, although Sherk's chin is better than I realized. Penn would easily win this fight, if it stays on it's feet long enough.
Sherk's takedowns vs. Penn's takedown defense: Advantage to Penn in rounds 1 & 2; Advantage to Sherk thereafter. This is probably the key to the whole fight.
In the clinch: Advantage to Penn. Don't forget his Muay Thai.
Fighting for position on the ground: Advantage to Sherk. Classic wrestler-v-BJJ fighter, once this hits the mat.
Penn's submissions vs. Sherk's submission defense: Advantage to Penn in rounds 1 & 2; Advantage to Sherk thereafter.
Cardio fitness: Advantage to Sherk. If Penn improves his fitness, he could win a 48-47 Decision, but I have to assume that Sherk has the edge in a 5-round fight.

I'm leaning toward picking BJ.
bayonetxwork
7/13/07 10:33:50AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

This fight could clearly go either way, which is exactly why I want to see it. Nobody in the Lightweight division other than Penn can give Sherk a fight, at the moment. I think some of it will depend on the referee. Someone who likes to stand guys up will advantage Penn.

Standup: Advantage to Penn, although Sherk's chin is better than I realized. Penn would easily win this fight, if it stays on it's feet long enough.
Sherk's takedowns vs. Penn's takedown defense: Advantage to Penn in rounds 1 & 2; Advantage to Sherk thereafter. This is probably the key to the whole fight.
In the clinch: Advantage to Penn. Don't forget his Muay Thai.
Fighting for position on the ground: Advantage to Sherk. Classic wrestler-v-BJJ fighter, once this hits the mat.
Penn's submissions vs. Sherk's submission defense: Advantage to Penn in rounds 1 & 2; Advantage to Sherk thereafter.
Cardio fitness: Advantage to Sherk. If Penn improves his fitness, he could win a 48-47 Decision, but I have to assume that Sherk has the edge in a 5-round fight.

I'm leaning toward picking BJ.

I'm with you on this one. But the single most underlying factor is going to be BJ's cardio. We've all said this time and time again for most of his recent fights, but this time its REALLY going to matter.
Aether
7/13/07 10:40:23AM
If it goes the distance sherk will win by sherk blanket. No way in hell is Sherk TKOing BJ if he can't do it to Florian or Franca, although him knowing that BJ is significantly more dangerous might motivate him to TRY to finish this time. There are a number of ways for BJ to win, but the only way I see Sherk pulling this out is UD, which I doubt he'll be able to do.
AchillesHeel
7/13/07 10:48:59AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Oh, another thing I forget to mention here is the judges. Remember Tyson Griffin's win over Clay Guida?
johny_rotten
7/13/07 11:36:56AM
Before Sherk destroyed Hermes I had Penn all the way, but now I am not as sure. The thing that has changed my mind is his chin. Hermes nailed him with 3 knees that should have dropped Sean, and they didn't even phase him. BJ would need to land a blow, and drop sean, then get the top postion to finish the fight. That is hard to do when the guy has a steel head. I don't see BJ submitting him due to his tiny arms, lack of a neck, and great disapline in his postioning. It really is a tough fight to call.
thepunisher
7/13/07 11:38:32AM
I think BJ will be able to handle Sherk wrestling he did well against Hughes

BJ by omoplata in the3rd
warglory
7/13/07 12:24:47PM
BJ has better stand up, and with his rubber guard and just overall incredible flexibility, I think Penn will tool Sherk on the ground as well. Sherk will actually have to work on the ground instead of LnP.
Mv356
7/13/07 12:31:24PM
BJ would win a 3 round fight 90% of the time imo, but i'm not so confident about a 5 rounder
ocho-cinco
7/13/07 12:32:14PM
It seems like Sherk should be able to overpower anyone in the lightweight div. but BJ is not your average fighter. Sherks only chance is to keep taking down Penn the way he did to Franca. The problem is that Penns TDD is amazing. I'm always in awe of his ballance especially on one foot. I think Sherk will be able to get him down sometime in the fight but I can't see him doing it consistently, or being able to keep him there. Also Penn can more then handle himself on the ground and doesn't seem have to much trouble getting up when fighting stronger fighters. I think Penn will have a hard time finishing Sherk, just because it's hard to submit someone so strong and compact, plus he did show his chin is made of cast iron during the Franca fight. Seriously how did he not break his jaw with thoes Knees? But I don't think that will be enough to stop Penn from assuming control for the majoity of the fight. I take Penn in a close decision. (as long as his cardio is there, which I think it will be. Being a light weight forces BJ to be in better shape and I think he will realize he is going up against someone who is second to none when it comes to fitness)
bayonetxwork
7/13/07 1:18:31PM

Posted by thepunisher

I think BJ will be able to handle Sherk wrestling he did well against Hughes

BJ by omoplata in the3rd

lol, I'm surprised you didn't call a gogoplata, since an omoplata is already going to be nearly impossible to catch Sherk in.
adamsb
7/13/07 2:02:00PM
i dont see sherk walking through BJ but he will bet him cuz u cant walk through anyone at that level of compotishon
cowcatcher
7/13/07 2:52:31PM
the only LW capable of beating sherk if they got into the octagon right now is BJ IMO, but a 5 round fight favors sherk. having seen the kind of shape BJ was in during the fight with jens makes me think he has a fire lit under his ass and that means BJ might start becoming the dominant fighter everyone has thought he shouldbe all along(hes always been really good, just not as good as he could be). if this ends under 3 rounds its bjs fight otherwise sherk.
thepunisher
7/13/07 3:47:38PM
In all honesty i don't see anyone be able to walk through BJ Penn and i mean no one not Fedor not anybody. I am by no means saying BJ can beat every fighter out there but that being said I think BJ is going to put up a pretty damn good fight against anyone he may lose but it aint going to be a walk in the park
Violence108
7/13/07 3:54:02PM
i dont think anyone could walk over sean sherk i see Sean Sherk with another win 5 round
thepunisher
7/13/07 3:56:38PM

Posted by Violence108

i dont think anyone could walk over sean sherk i see Sean Sherk with another win 5 round

Did you see the GSP fight
argile
7/13/07 5:04:35PM
I like Penn, but i think Sherk will just muscle through to the ground and sit through a boring decision win. Either way i'll still be rooting for Penn.
kimoron
7/13/07 6:03:43PM
i dont think anyone at 155 is capable of walking through bj. sherk will definately be able to out work him and dominate the pace but lets face it its a lot harder to finish a fight on cardio alone then anything else. superior takedowns and cardio is what won the fight against franca for sherk. sherk was on top for about 80% of the fight and never had franca in trouble. look at francas face after the fight, it sure doesnt look all that bad for having a guy on top of you for about twenty minutes. sherks cardio and takedowns wont carry him for very long especially with the ever changing mma landscape. i see his title reign coming to an end once he faces penn.
bayonetxwork
7/13/07 6:44:19PM

Posted by thepunisher

Posted by Violence108

Did you see the GSP fight

Thats exactly what came to my mind too.
JunCTion
7/14/07 1:08:57AM
BJ by rear naked choke then a kiss on the lips and give him the belt
loller90278
7/14/07 4:03:03AM
better title for this thread would be:
"sean sherk will lay through BJ"
cmill21
7/14/07 4:04:17AM
Agreed, Sherk is a very boring fighter IMO.
Pages: [1] 2 3