Sean Sherk talks UFC 84 loss to BJ Penn

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Sean Sherk talks UFC 84 loss to BJ Penn
SmileR
5/28/08 7:00:33PM
Former Ultimate Fighting Championship lightweight titleholder Sean "The Muscle Shark" Sherk was defeated by reigning champion B.J. Penn at UFC 84. Like most other perfectionists, Sherk is his own worst critic.

"There's a few things I should have and would have done different if I could do it again," Sean Sherk told MMAWeekly.com. "You know? You always look back after the fight is over and you say, “I should have done this, I wish I would have done that.” It's the same thing. There's a couple of things I could have done differently. All and all, I guess I came here with something to prove hopefully I did that."

Penn was consistently able to land his jab throughout the fight. Given a second chance, Sherk said he would have implemented more head movement among other things. "I know a lot of times when he was hitting that jab was when I stopped moving. I stopped moving my head, and his placement on punches was really good," said the Minnesota native.

"He kept finding, as you can see, he kept finding my eye. He was working that cut. He has a real fast jab and good placement on it, so I should have kept my head moving a little more."

Following the fight, many questioned Sherk's strategy to remain standing with Penn. "I wanted to show everyone that I can box,” said Sherk. "People want to see diversity in this sport. I'm not a one-dimensional fighter like people think I am, and I came here with something to prove.

"I wanted to gain respect back from the fans, first of all. Secondly, I wanted to give the fans something they paid for. People paid a lot of money to come see this fight, so I wanted to hopefully re-establish myself I guess is what I'm trying to say."

Sean Sherk finds himself back in the mix of UFC lightweight contenders. While it's not a career path he wanted to take, it makes for several interesting match ups for the former lightweight champion

Link
wrona666
5/28/08 7:14:26PM
Never been a fan of Sherk's, but i can definately respect him after this fight....Showing that he does have decent stand up skills and tried to impliment them instead of lay and pray for five rounds.....
thesteven5918
5/28/08 7:49:38PM
i thought sherk honestly had it... dont get it twisted i love bj and i wasnt surprised that he won i just thought sherk woulda won... but the best man won BJ... sherk will be back
holt8081
5/28/08 7:53:47PM
I dont think we watched the same fight, Penn had that fight won from the start.
wrona666
5/28/08 7:58:19PM

Posted by holt8081

He was definately winning the whole fight, but Sherk did impress me with being able to stand in there and throw for three rounds.....
jgtribbett
5/28/08 8:11:35PM
i think he looked good... i mean.. ppl say.. see he lost.. he was on steroids.. but the truth is.. he just fought BJ Penn.. thats ******* BJ Penn.. thats why he lost .. cause he fought bj penn haha.
but i think we'll see him come back strong
Wolf
5/28/08 8:19:56PM

Posted by holt8081

I think he was saying that he had sherk picked to win the fight in advance and was surprised at how the fight actually went.
jae_1833
5/28/08 9:53:41PM
I honestly think Sherk had a horrible game plan....IF BJ can stand and bang with Hughes and GSP...who are large WW....then he can sure stand and bang with Sherk (obviously) but BJ has shown that he has had trouble in the past with a long match against strong wrestlers who actually get the fight to the ground. I think Sherk should have shown a more well rounded game, got the fight to the ground and worked some GNP. However Sherks GNP hasn't been all that great lately. I think this game plan can get Huerta/Florian to victory.
aaa9erh8er
5/29/08 12:48:09AM
are you saying his gameplan can beat huerta/florian or thed beat him? i dont think honestly either one of them can beat sherk.(nothing against them at all)
StevieC
5/29/08 1:01:25AM

Posted by aaa9erh8er

are you saying his gameplan can beat huerta/florian or thed beat him? i dont think honestly either one of them can beat sherk.(nothing against them at all)

jakeiceman
5/29/08 1:02:00AM

Posted by wrona666

Never been a fan of Sherk's, but i can definately respect him after this fight....Showing that he does have decent stand up skills and tried to impliment them instead of lay and pray for five rounds.....

Well said man. Everyone complained because they thought all he did was take people down and lay on them, and when he tries something new like standing with BJ even though he was at a disadvantage......still everyone complains and calls him stupid for doing so. I thought Sherk put up a helluva a fight, Penn is more of a well rounded fighter and won the fight. No shame in losing
telnights
5/29/08 1:02:32AM
He will be back strong but don't think he has the tools to ever beat Penn. But he will always be a force at 155 hanging in the top 5.
MMAcca
5/29/08 1:26:41AM
So i wonder how many fights Sherk will need to win for Dana to give him another shot?

I think probably only one, but really he should have to win 2/3.

RMFG_187
5/29/08 1:42:25AM
depends on who he fights next, i say loser of KenFlo Huerta, or Rich Clementi
jae_1833
5/29/08 7:56:23PM
What I meant was the gameplan could get either Florian or Huerta a win over Penn....I know.....I'm about to get hated!!! Bj is on a tear right now but he can (and has) been beaten like this in the past.
StevieC
5/30/08 10:42:22AM

Posted by MMAcca

So i wonder how many fights Sherk will need to win for Dana to give him another shot?

I think probably only one, but really he should have to win 2/3.

It all depends on if Penn moves up to WW or not, which seems to be a given after Penn fights the Florian/Huerta winner.
EliasG
6/1/08 3:39:48AM
If they fought 20 times BJ would win 19. That's how good BJ is. Sherk is great, his only deficiency is tht he was not born BJ Penn.