Sean Sherk reinvents himself at UFC 90

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Sean Sherk reinvents himself at UFC 90
MMAcca
10/26/08 12:53:52PM
“This was a great fight and a great opportunity for me to come out and show some stuff that people haven’t seen before. I want to show everyone that I’m growing as a fighter and show everyone that I’m three dimensional. I though I did that tonight. And hopefully I get to fight the winner of Joe [Stevenson] and Kenny [Florian] next. That’s my goal.”

At the ripe old age of 35, former lightweight champion Sean Sherk talks after defeating Tyson Griffin via unanimous decision at UFC 90: “Silva vs. Cote” last night about the improvements he has made to his all around mixed martial arts game. Primarily known for his overwhelming wrestling, Sherk demonstrated a much improved striking attack and was not as one dimensional, earning him and Griffin the “Fight of the Night.” It’s a match up that many fans predicted going in would be dull because of the wrestling backgrounds of both fighters. That simply was not the case.

LINK
stock
10/26/08 1:17:53PM
Am I the only one that scored the fight in favor of Griffin?
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/26/08 1:31:02PM

Posted by stock

i thought Sherk got hit by some good punches, but no way in hell did i have him losing....& i wanted him to lose
Budgellism
10/26/08 1:45:09PM
There's no way Tyson won that fight. Ya, it was kind of close but it was 29-28 for Sherk IMO. with Tyson winning the last round, just barely. Amazing fight though, It was an excellent way to start off a great night of fights (excpet the Maynard fight of course).

Yes, Maynard has excellent wrestling skills and he's very strong, but he's quickly coming one of the most boring fighters in the LW division. This kid needs to stop relying on his lay and pray style to win him fights, he needs to develop more as a fighter and put on some more exciting fights if he ever wants to get a title shot in a stacked LW division.
bullettdodger
10/26/08 1:59:21PM

Posted by stock

Probably, well actually no... i bet one of my buddies probably scored it for Tyson, but i wouldn't read too much into that because he is totally bias in that he has a huuuge man crush on the guy.
jae_1833
10/26/08 2:02:55PM
Whenever I have that problem I watch it a second time with a change in my mindset and try to be non-partial watching it a second or third time. You will see, Sherk actually got the better of most of the stand up, was more aggressive, controlled where the fight took place, ect.... all the things the fights are supposed to be judged on.
Porch28
10/26/08 3:08:50PM

Posted by bullettdodger

Posted by stock

Probably, well actually no... i bet one of my buddies probably scored it for Tyson, but i wouldn't read too much into that because he is totally bias in that he has a huuuge man crush on the guy.

nickcuc547
10/26/08 3:18:05PM

Posted by stock

I'm sure you aren't the only one but I thought sherk won two out of three rounds. Great fight though and I was impressed with both guys willingness to throw and land bombs.
juanez13
10/26/08 3:18:10PM
Sherk is beast, IMO he'd run through Florian right now.
xtra_chewy
10/26/08 3:25:45PM
I thought Sherk won, but by a split decision rather than UD. I thought the 30/27's were BS, IMO that fight was alot closer than that.
Bloodhound
10/26/08 4:27:49PM
very good fight i definitly give it to Sherk but Tyson Griffin put on a good performance
jgtribbett
10/26/08 5:14:11PM

Posted by stock

yes you are..
if tyson woulda won that would be fight number three that griffon won by decision but didnt deserve... i hate watching that guy
jocka
10/26/08 6:58:14PM
No way Griffin won that fight but it should of been a 29/28. It was cool to see Sherk fighthing a guy his height for once, he actually got better striking that I thought.
stock
10/26/08 8:40:31PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

Posted by stock

i thought Sherk got hit by some good punches, but no way in hell did i have him losing....& i wanted him to lose

Yeah, I am not upset by a long shot.... I was rooting for Sherk and picked him to win via UD.
I guess if you score it like an olympic boxing match, Sherk clearly won. I just didn't see any urgency to finish the fight on Sherk's behalf and really thought he looked off. Neither fighter landed any big shots. Every single time he had Griffin off ballanced and backing up, he would just back off to the center of the ring again.
Maybe I was just upset at Sherk's lack of CONSTANT relentless pressure like in the Florian and Franca fights.
Wolfenstein
10/26/08 10:25:06PM
I really thought this was going to be a boring fight. It wasn't in the least. Awesome fight and definetly looking forward to seeing both guys again. I gained a great deal of respect for both guys in this one.