Sean Sherk Vs. BJ Penn for the title in November

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Sean Sherk Vs. BJ Penn for the title in November
Next Page »
richieb19
7/8/07 2:48:56AM
Source: Beatdown

Aperantly Sherk has officially stated that he will face Penn for the Lightweight championship in November.
xphycorx
7/8/07 3:00:46AM
if thats the case, then penn will whoop him.
TaporSnap
7/8/07 3:11:47AM
bj penn will smash him
FeelTheJoy
7/8/07 3:24:38AM
sherk has it. alot stronger than bj
poet
7/8/07 5:05:41AM

Posted by FeelTheJoy

sherk has it. alot stronger than bj

So was Matt Hughes and BJ choked him out once.

I worry about Sean's ability... inability... to finish.
You give anyone enough of a chance and you are asking for trouble.
Destroyer88
7/8/07 5:21:33AM
Really hard fight to call. Sherk is of course the stronger fighter with better wrestling, but BJ didnt have a problem with Matt Hughes so that wont come into play in this fight. BJ has the better submissions, the better striking, and IMO the more experience against high level fighters.

On one hand I can see BJ catching Sean with a punch or knee, then going for a submission and winning. But on the other hand I can see Sherk taking BJ down, laying in BJ's guard or half guard or butterfly guard trying to punish BJ. This fight is to far away to call so I will come back and give my opinion in a month or two. But BJ hasnt been the same movtivated fighter for a long time so I dont know if he can stop 155 pounds of pure muscle. But BJ was able to take GSP the distance and some say he should of won that fight, while Sean Sherk got dominated by GSP. And then BJ dominated Matt Hughes twice while Matt beat Sean. I know not to do MMA math but you have to take that into consideration.

I know if Sean gives BJ the oppourtunity for a submission, BJ will take a hold of Seans neck or arm and win the fight.
Aether
7/8/07 6:18:57AM
I see Sean trying to give BJ the old sherk blanket special and BJ eventually getting ahold of one of his limbs and twisting it in a funny direction. There's just no way BJ is going to get layed on for 25 minutes without pulling off a sub. Sherk better think about learning to finish his opponents if he wants to have a chance against BJ imo.
Piranesi
7/8/07 7:20:20AM
If Sherk performs like he did today, it's going to be a long night for BJ.
pizanne9
7/8/07 7:42:47AM
so... the beatdown got that straight from Sherks mouth
KingKash
7/8/07 8:00:55AM
If this fight does happen, then I am going to have to go with BJ with the win. He is too good of a fighter to just allow a guy to take him down at will. Sherk will cause problems for BJ, but BJ will be able to transition from one position to another a lot better than Franca did. The only thing I can see stoping BJ is if he gases in the fight. We all know that Sean will never gas out and will be able to push the pace the whole fight. It willl be interestig to see if he trains a lot more on his stricking for the fight against BJ and try to use it a little more, so he does not have to eat a knee everytime he shoots. I give Sean credit for being able to take the knees and keep going.
MisFiT
7/8/07 9:07:17AM
I was hoping this one wouldnt happen... They are both my favorite fighters. I see Sherk neutralizing him like he did with Franca though... Sherk has too much power on BJ.
jack
7/8/07 9:23:11AM
As long as BJ doesn't gas I think that he will take care of Sean. Sean is an phenom for his workouts but it seems like all he can do is transition to side control and then he doesn't know what to do. Franca's jui-jitsu is no where close to the smae league as Penn. Plus he is crazy legged flexible so keeping him down is not going to be easy. either way it will be an interesting fight.
silverbullet
7/8/07 9:30:20AM
It's going to be BJ all the way
MisFiT
7/8/07 9:34:38AM
What makes you all say BJ is gonna dominate Sherk? You have to be kidding me and it's obvious you aren't looking at this logically. Sherk can and most likely will overpower BJ and impose his will on him, wear him down and tear BJ's mental game all to hell and beat on him start to finish. That's the realistic way of breaking the fight down.
jack
7/8/07 10:42:44AM

Posted by MisFiT

What makes you all say BJ is gonna dominate Sherk? You have to be kidding me and it's obvious you aren't looking at this logically. Sherk can and most likely will overpower BJ and impose his will on him, wear him down and tear BJ's mental game all to hell and beat on him start to finish. That's the realistic way of breaking the fight down.

Are you serious? Sherk got dominated by people like GSP, Hughes and had a heck of a time with Florian. I think that BJ has turned over a new leaf and is hungry again and that spells doom for everyone that he faces. Sherk is a strong WRESTLER, but that will only let him make it to the third round tops. I predict that Penn will win in the second round by rear naked choke. He is going to take SHerks back and then trap sherks left arm with his crazy flexible legs and sink in the choke.
grappler0000
7/8/07 10:44:08AM

Posted by MisFiT

BJ's boxing, wrestling, and BJJ are much better than Franca's. I wouldn't say that BJ will dominate Sherk, but I see him winning...Sherk has a slight wrestling advantage that will partially neutralize BJ. BJ has always been able to perform well against powerful opponents, so I don't see Sherks strength necessarily determining the fight.The bottom line is Sherk won't be able to keep BJ down as easily as he did Franca...and BJ has the distinct advantage in boxing and BJJ, so it will only be a matter of time. As long as BJ doesn't gas, he has 25 minutes to catch him, which should be more than enough time. I would normally pick Sherk against almost anyone, but this is a tough fight for him. If it does happen to go the distance, it will probably be a close call, as I see BJ taking the early rounds with Sherk taking the latter.
Aether
7/8/07 10:46:57AM
is that really a realistic way to break the fight down? Because I'm pretty sure that Hughes and GSP are both stronger than Sherk, and that was never an issue in his fights against them. As a matter of fact I think for BJ this will be like fighting a weaker less talented version of matt hughes at a weight where he isn't in danger of gassing after round 2. Look at what Sherk did tonight (same thing as every other night) he layed on top of franca and did _absolutely nothing_ with his "dominant position". In the combined 45 seconds they spent on their feet franca nearly took his head off with a knee at least 3 times.

Sherk might be able to put him on his back, but if he spends 25 mintues switching back and forth from guard to side control to mount and back to side control BJ is going to slap a triangle on his ass eventually. I have a really hard time believing Sherk will be able to TKO BJ, and an equally hard time believing BJ will spend 25 minutes on his back without finding any openings.
akumairon
7/8/07 10:53:47AM
good match up, but I think BJ will find a way to submit him
masodd
7/8/07 10:57:16AM
BJ wil win easy
Destroyer88
7/8/07 11:18:23AM
I like the nuthugging going on for BJ here.

This fight is even, so to say BJ will dominate or say Sherk will dominate just shows how biased you are towards that fighter. It's an equal fight, so I dont know why anybody thinks this will be an easy fight for either fighter. IMO I think Sherk and BJ are at the top of the 155 divison in the world. So to say this fight is an easy win for Penn or Sherk just makes you look retarded. Not to mention the whole Sherk/Penn fighting GSP/Hughes theory is retarded as well. Sherk was way to small for 170 so thats why he got dominated by GSP and beaten by Hughes. 155 is the perfect weight for Sean, there is nobody bigger or stronger then him at 155, he has an amazing chin and alot of heart, so IMO I think BJ will be in some big trouble if he doesnt truely work on his cardio.
Aether
7/8/07 11:41:59AM
"the whole Sherk/Penn fighting GSP/Hughes theory" is only retarded if you approach it by saying "sherk lost to matt and bj beat matt therefor bj beats sherk". It's actually a completely legitimate and valid argument to say that matt hughes and sean sherk have virtually identical styles, only matt is stronger, so if BJ wasn't overpowered by the stronger Matt Hughes, we can logically assume that Sherk won't have any easier a time overpowering him.

I don't think it will be an easy fight for BJ, but he is better in virtually every aspect outside of wrestling, strength, and conditioning. We already know that BJ is particularly good at dealing with strong wrestlers, and it seems like the move down to 155 is helping his conditioning a lot. I just don't see Sherk winning any way other than a 5 round Sherk blanket and he'll have a REAL hard time avoiding getting caught with some nasty shots on the feet or by a sub on the ground for 25 minutes.
Destroyer88
7/8/07 11:48:27AM
Hey, this isnt boxing or a jiu jitsu competition. This is Mixed Martial Arts and if you cant stand Sean Sherk dominating fighters on the ground then you need to go watch something else. Calling Sherk a blanket after his performance last night is just fighter bashing. Sure, Sherk didnt look like he was trying to finish the fight, but tell me again, how many times has Hermes Franca been stopped? Yeah, thats right, once out of all of his fights. So dont tell me that crap. Sherk was advancing his position the whole 25 minutes and was looknig to punch his face in and even got a few submission attempts in.

The difference between Sherk at 155 and 170 is that he was small for 170. Sherk is a totally different fighter at 155.
cmill21
7/8/07 12:00:16PM
I think BJ will win by doing one of his gumby moves. The man baisically has 4 arms. He also has a ton more dimensions then Franca, and france exposed a flaw....knee's when sherk shoots.
Aether
7/8/07 12:23:25PM
wow someone is obviously a sherk fan. Sorry but that's exactly how he fights, and quite frankly I didn't say anything about not being able to stand it one way or another, I said that if he wins at all that's his only chance, so maybe you should fix the knot in your panties. You can cite herme's stoppage records all you'd like, it has nothing to do with how much effort sherk was putting into finishing him in that fight. (none) You can call it fighter bashing if you want, it's just the plain truth, name me a fight sherk has finished where he wasn't fighting a vastly inferior opponent. Name a fight he has finished since returning to MMA. There are none, it's how he fights. single/double leg takedown, from guard to half, over to side, then to mount. Throw a few light jabs and go back and forth and the ref won't stand them up.

If you're going to get upset and cry when someone makes an objective analysis that doesn't favour your favourite fighter, you should probably just go to sherdog. It's really annoying to have people like you come into a normal conversation and start calling people nuthuggers because they predict something different from you or to say "go watch another sport" because someone says that a fighter you like doesn't finish fights. If you have a point to make, make it like a grownup and quit throwing around insults.
Destroyer88
7/8/07 12:38:47PM
Hey I'm not even a Sherk fan, but his performance last night should not be pissed on by some people who just want to see a KO. You are probabley one of those idiots in the crowd last night booing Sean Sherk.

All I'm saying is I wish people would stop making BJ seem unstoppable. Sherk got outmuscled by Hughes and GSP because he was at the wrong weight class. So using the fact that Penn was able to keep Hughes and GSP off of him so Sherk cant touch BJ is retarded.

And as for Kennys little statement last night poking at Sean Sherk, hey, I'd rather see a guy dominate another guy for five rounds then see someone try to win a fight with a cut everytime he fights.
blowe1983
7/8/07 1:04:57PM

Posted by Destroyer88

Hey I'm not even a Sherk fan, but his performance last night should not be pissed on by some people who just want to see a KO. You are probabley one of those idiots in the crowd last night booing Sean Sherk.

All I'm saying is I wish people would stop making BJ seem unstoppable. Sherk got outmuscled by Hughes and GSP because he was at the wrong weight class. So using the fact that Penn was able to keep Hughes and GSP off of him so Sherk cant touch BJ is retarded.

And as for Kennys little statement last night poking at Sean Sherk, hey, I'd rather see a guy dominate another guy for five rounds then see someone try to win a fight with a cut everytime he fights.

bj is unstoppable, and sherk getting outmuscled has nothing to do with him being in the wrong weight class. so now that sherks in 155 does that mean every person in that weight class is in the wrong one because sherk will out muscle them. MMA isnt about how ******* strong somebody is!!!!! i'm not even gonna go on because i could bash your post all day. its just that rediculous
Destroyer88
7/8/07 1:13:16PM
Ok so when Mike Swick got outmuscled by Okami, he wasnt in the wrong weight class? Strength has alot to do in this sport whether you believe that or not. BJ is not unstoppable, never has been and never will be. He is the most gifted fighter out there, but by no means is he unstoppable. Nobody is unstoppable in this sport, besides Fedor but meh, hes Fedor.

If a guy who weighs 20 more pounds then you at fight time, and has way more muscle then you and way more strength, lays on you for an amount of time, you will gas out quickly. You will be exhausted and frustrated. BJ's cardio has never been top notch, so the possibility of Sean Sherk smothering BJ Penn for a few rounds and tiring BJ out is very good.
blowe1983
7/8/07 1:27:53PM

Posted by Destroyer88

Ok so when Mike Swick got outmuscled by Okami, he wasnt in the wrong weight class? Strength has alot to do in this sport whether you believe that or not. BJ is not unstoppable, never has been and never will be. He is the most gifted fighter out there, but by no means is he unstoppable. Nobody is unstoppable in this sport, besides Fedor but meh, hes Fedor.

If a guy who weighs 20 more pounds then you at fight time, and has way more muscle then you and way more strength, lays on you for an amount of time, you will gas out quickly. You will be exhausted and frustrated. BJ's cardio has never been top notch, so the possibility of Sean Sherk smothering BJ Penn for a few rounds and tiring BJ out is very good.

if a guy puts on 20 pounds in one night. look im a trainer and wrestler and you dont put on 20 pounds in one night after cutting weight. two strength has little to do with it. what the hell do you think BJJ is for. no no im sorry was created for. and how do you know who will and who wont gas out because somebody is laying on them???? oh but since somebody is 20lbs heavier that means that they have an advantage. why do they have the open weight tournaments then? since weight and strength has everything to do with it. why did royce gracie submit a guy that was 300lbs heavier than him? since that 20lbs will get someobody frustrated and exhausted???? look just because somebody is heavier and stronger doesnt mean they're going to win. if his opponents a better fighter it doesnt matter who the hells stronger or heavier. for ex. bj and sherk. look bj has fought in the same classes as sherk. so you cant give any advantage to sherk.

if a guy is a better fighter it doesnt matter how strong anybody is. so your argument has no point
komodo20
7/8/07 2:04:06PM
BJ penn will beat Sean Sherk for the title in november
kerazzle
7/8/07 2:28:15PM
BJ at 155 means he will be in shape. I don't see Sherk being able to take BJ down very often. Penn via tko.
Pages: [1] 2