Sean Sherk: ‘I hope I earned some respect and redemption from fans’

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Sean Sherk: ‘I hope I earned some respect and redemption from fans’
Next Page »
SmileR
5/26/08 10:37:17AM
Link to the video
Red-Dragon
5/26/08 10:39:32AM
Respect for getting beat up?

That just showed me that he is half the fighter without the roids.
thatfedorsohotrightnow
5/26/08 11:13:13AM
I respect that he took a beating. I still resent that he is denying the roids. He is probably a top 5 LW.

PS Shrek took roids.
tepid55
5/26/08 11:16:09AM
Sean Sherk has always had my respect.
D0wnUnd6e6r
5/26/08 11:27:11AM
he'd have my respect if he would finally f*cking come clean and just say it. Like come on, we all know he took roids, why still deny it. Anways till he does that he doesn't get shit.
teddythetuna
5/26/08 11:41:19AM
Didnt he pass 3 polygraphs? even BJ at the end told him to come by the gym anytime. i think what started as bad blood had to be kept up to hype the fight. i dont like the fact he got busted for taking roids, which should be a life ban, but when you pass 3 lie detector tests i start to question whether or not he actually knew.
Lay_N_Pray
5/26/08 11:43:58AM
Yeah, I'm not a Sherk fan at all and I have questions as to whether he knowingly took steroids. I really think it could have been accidental even though many athletes use that as a completely unbelievable excuse.

Either way he took his beating and he didn't complain. He stepped into the cage against one the best. He has my respect
The-Don
5/26/08 11:57:54AM
He passed the lie detector tests which the ones they give today are nearly impossible to beat and accurate up to like 98% percent or something like that now... Much better then the ones they had when they were disallowed in court rooms. He also passed a couple of random drug tests leading up to the fight.. Which all could mean many things. if he passes his next set of tests befre his next fight and all I would have to start to think maybe he did not know what he was taking.. I mean really have you all looked at all the suppliments that are out there and thigs that can be taken while many are not in essence steroids they can give readings similiar, plus if your doctor or a trainer you trust say here this is good for you and you have no reason to doubt that person to that point, how closely are you going to question them? be honest in that answer. wheather he did or not none of us are ever going to know for certian and unless he comes foward and says he did we only have his word.. and other then that one incident has there been any other reason to doubt him? personaly I have not followed his carear closely but this incident is the only negative I have heard about him...
thatfedorsohotrightnow
5/26/08 12:11:16PM

Posted by teddythetuna

Didnt he pass 3 polygraphs? even BJ at the end told him to come by the gym anytime. i think what started as bad blood had to be kept up to hype the fight. i dont like the fact he got busted for taking roids, which should be a life ban, but when you pass 3 lie detector tests i start to question whether or not he actually knew.

Lie detector is a joke.

How many people get exonerated after a failed roid test? It is like a 99% chance that Shrek is guilty. Marion Jones passed more than a few lie detectors. She is in federal prison now.

Life time ban? That is insane. What if a guy really did find himself in a situation like Shrek claims he is in, but he doesn't have the resources of Shrek? That guy is screwed unless he pays for and passes a lie detector? Shrek spent a lot of money on his "defense".

Escalating penalties are clearly the way to go. If you get popped a third time then you should be looking at a life time ban.
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/26/08 12:12:36PM
i dont respect Sherk, but i bet Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, Marion Jones, Jose Canseco, Jason Giambi, Raphael Palmeiro, Shawn Merriman & all the others respect him
thatfedorsohotrightnow
5/26/08 12:27:47PM

Posted by The-Don

He passed the lie detector tests which the ones they give today are nearly impossible to beat and accurate up to like 98% percent or something like that now... Much better then the ones they had when they were disallowed in court rooms. He also passed a couple of random drug tests leading up to the fight.. Which all could mean many things. if he passes his next set of tests befre his next fight and all I would have to start to think maybe he did not know what he was taking.. I mean really have you all looked at all the suppliments that are out there and thigs that can be taken while many are not in essence steroids they can give readings similiar, plus if your doctor or a trainer you trust say here this is good for you and you have no reason to doubt that person to that point, how closely are you going to question them? be honest in that answer. wheather he did or not none of us are ever going to know for certian and unless he comes foward and says he did we only have his word.. and other then that one incident has there been any other reason to doubt him? personaly I have not followed his carear closely but this incident is the only negative I have heard about him...

Anti Lie Detector site

Some of my favorites

The National Academy of Sciences concluded that "[polygraph testing's] accuracy in distinguishing actual or potential security violators from innocent test takers is insufficient to justify reliance on its use in employee security screening in federal agencies.

One of the most prolific serial killers in U.S. history passed the polygraph and killed again.

Spies Ignatz Theodor Griebl, Karel Frantisek Koecher, Jiri Pasovsky, Larry Wu-tai Chin, Aldrich Hazen Ames, Ana Belen Montes, and Leandro Aragoncillo all passed the polygraph.

I love how many people go right for the PR spin. The lie detector is not evidence of Shrek's innocence.
thatfedorsohotrightnow
5/26/08 12:30:21PM
Also, Shrek said he passed a polygraph. Is that one of your new "modern" lie detectors?
Red-Dragon
5/26/08 1:07:38PM
See this from the flip side as to why people get banned for roid abuse.

If you are taking a performance enhancing drug then it is unfair on your opponent who through losing to you can suffer heavily financially imediately with not getting a win bonus. Then suffer more in the long run as it would knock them down the contender rankings and they would have to have more lower paid fights to get back to the top. Also they have a - on their fight record where they could have had a +.

To train so hard and get beaten by someone who has taken drugs that gave them an advantage must be sickening. Far more sickening than taking drugs and getting caught.

Sherk was found guilty and therefore in my eyes he is guilty. I have no respect for cheats.

To the post before saying that this was the one time he has done anything bad

He got caught once. No-one can say how many times he didin't get caught.
Manak
5/26/08 1:12:14PM
durin his defense didnt one of his supplements get tested and it was tainted n eyxencie recalled it right after this happened, but im not sure anyone else known for sure?
89vision
5/26/08 3:56:24PM

Posted by teddythetuna

enough with the damn excuses and lie detector excuse, many many many murderers and criminals have passed the lie detector, it takes a certain state of mind and only shows hes a good liar

to get on topic, he earned a little respect when he hugged BJ after all the pre fight drama, that took balls to embrace someone you hate and congradulate them
jiujitsufreak74
5/26/08 4:03:57PM

Posted by teddythetuna

polygraphs are so unreliable. the fact he past a lie detector test proves nothing to me except that he has control of his physiological responses. a polygraph merely tests blood pressure, pulse, respiration and skin conductivity; changes in which are correlated with lying...not caused by lying. you can simply be nervous or stressed by a certain question and get false positive. in the opposite direction you can control your physiological responses so that you don't come up as lying. it isn't even admissible in a legal court...so why should it be admissible in the court of public opinion?

He took steroids, he got caught for taking steroids and he got punished for taking steroids. i lost respect for him and it will take a long time for him to gain it back.
The-Don
5/26/08 4:37:15PM
I persoanlly am not saying either way if he was guilty.. I don't know.. And as for what type of detector was used.. again.. I don't know... the newest detectors used by most major police departments with in the last 2-3 years are vastly improved and nearly impossible... key word being nearly.. personaly I do not think Sherk has the mental skills to be able to beat one.. I know of very very few who can beat one... I doubt anyone who ever reads this post has the skills to beat one... I belive sherks tests were on older models which are able to be beaten... But again.. the average person still could not beat these.. a high level fighter who can control pain and such under stressful situations may be able to but I don't know...

A recent episode of mythbusters put the newer machines to the test and could not beat it... granted these were 3 average people no one special.. but I really doubt most fighters have the training to beat a lie detector test...
Lay_N_Pray
5/26/08 5:32:12PM
No one is saying the lie detector results prove he didn't take steroids, I am saying it is POSSIBLE he may not have known about the steroids in his body.

Either way, like I said previously, I have to respect anyone who gets in the cage at the UFC level of fighting (except Melvin Guillard cause he just seems like a horrible human being)
tdietel01
5/26/08 6:40:11PM
i personally dont think he took roids on purpose. when you have guys putting alot of time and money into a fighter i dont find it too hard to believe they would say here take this its cool. any fighter that comes to fight has my respect. sherk has an amazing work ethic and may not be real exciting but he still comes to fight. him and bj both have my respect for being men at the end of the fight.
JimiMak
5/26/08 7:05:45PM

Posted by The-Don

He passed the lie detector tests which the ones they give today are nearly impossible to beat and accurate up to like 98% percent or something like that now... Much better then the ones they had when they were disallowed in court rooms.

Uhhh, sorry buddy, there still not allowed in court rooms cuz they're not hard at all to pass. Anyone who meditates, or works on cardio as much as he does, can pass one most of the time. They never will be allowed in court rooms as they are unreliable and unscientific.
JimiMak
5/26/08 7:08:25PM

Posted by Manak

durin his defense didnt one of his supplements get tested and it was tainted n eyxencie recalled it right after this happened, but im not sure anyone else known for sure?

They did find themselves able to get a false positive. It wasn't for nandrolene. He relies on a lot of you guys going "well I guess I should give him the benefit of the doubt, even tho he's been convicted and appeals held up the original finding. But he says he didn't, so maybe he didn't" do you believe Roger Clemens too?
ufcboss
5/26/08 9:29:27PM
Ive finished with the juice bashing, Its old news now and he payed the price for being caught so its over now I think.

I think more of Sean now after his fight with BJ, Im still not his biggest fan but know he doesnt really bother me.

Rush
5/26/08 10:05:34PM
I think I can answer the original question

No, because

the people that believed he didn't take them the first time have not changed their opinions about them.

The people that thought he used them will just look at it from the perspective that he lost his first fight without using them.

Hermes Franca retained and will probably gather more respect and redemption than Sherk will from fans when he returns.
imanidiot777
5/26/08 10:39:19PM

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by Manak

They did find themselves able to get a false positive. It wasn't for nandrolene. He relies on a lot of you guys going "well I guess I should give him the benefit of the doubt, even tho he's been convicted and appeals held up the original finding. But he says he didn't, so maybe he didn't" do you believe Roger Clemens too?

They didn't hold up any ruling they shortened his suspension, and if they did that then that means there was some doubt, and if there was some doubt then he shouldn't have been suspended. Last time I check American law requires "sure beyond a reasonable doubt". If they were sure they wouldn't have cut his suspension to 6 months.
Porch28
5/26/08 10:40:03PM

Posted by thatfedorsohotrightnow

Posted by teddythetuna

Lie detector is a joke.

How many people get exonerated after a failed roid test? It is like a 99% chance that Shrek is guilty. Marion Jones passed more than a few lie detectors. She is in federal prison now.

Life time ban? That is insane. What if a guy really did find himself in a situation like Shrek claims he is in, but he doesn't have the resources of Shrek? That guy is screwed unless he pays for and passes a lie detector? Shrek spent a lot of money on his "defense".

Escalating penalties are clearly the way to go. If you get popped a third time then you should be looking at a life time ban.

Not many people have the resources of Shrek being those movies made hundreds of millions of dollars..
jakeiceman
5/27/08 1:24:18AM

Posted by The-Don

Anti Lie Detector site

Some of my favorites

The National Academy of Sciences concluded that "[polygraph testing's] accuracy in distinguishing actual or potential security violators from innocent test takers is insufficient to justify reliance on its use in employee security screening in federal agencies.

One of the most prolific serial killers in U.S. history passed the polygraph and killed again.

Spies Ignatz Theodor Griebl, Karel Frantisek Koecher, Jiri Pasovsky, Larry Wu-tai Chin, Aldrich Hazen Ames, Ana Belen Montes, and Leandro Aragoncillo all passed the polygraph.

I love how many people go right for the PR spin. The lie detector is not evidence of Shrek's innocence.

Have you ever taken a polygraph?? I'm just wondering because you seem to think you are an expert on it after reading a website and I find it funny that you talk about PR spin....the site you quote from is a bunch of conspiracy bullshit. I have actually taken MULTIPLE polygraphs and they are VERY VERY VERY hard to pass you can talk about how much they dont work but I assure you that I have sat through the process more than a few times. Go back to reading your webistes and pretending like you know everything but try to stick to things you have personally experienced because everything you have said is hearsay.

P.S the name is Sherk, not "Shrek" its not that clever
89vision
5/27/08 2:12:24AM

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by The-Don

Anti Lie Detector site

Some of my favorites

Have you ever taken a polygraph?? I'm just wondering because you seem to think you are an expert on it after reading a website and I find it funny that you talk about PR spin....the site you quote from is a bunch of conspiracy bullshit. I have actually taken MULTIPLE polygraphs and they are VERY VERY VERY hard to pass you can talk about how much they dont work but I assure you that I have sat through the process more than a few times. Go back to reading your webistes and pretending like you know everything but try to stick to things you have personally experienced because everything you have said is hearsay.

not only is it true that you can easily pass it.... 4 other people on here have mentioned about how the lie detector works including its flaws which can be taken advantage of (like emotion control, and heart-rate control) ....do people seriously still believe a lie detector over a positive test for a steroid that has to be injected? (it cant be "planted" in your pee) Sherk wants you to think this is a conspiracy, but its a scapegoat, if he didnt admit it by now he never will, so who cares
jakeiceman
5/27/08 3:47:37AM

Posted by 89vision

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by The-Don

Anti Lie Detector site

Some of my favorites

not only is it true that you can easily pass it.... 4 other people on here have mentioned about how the lie detector works including its flaws which can be taken advantage of (like emotion control, and heart-rate control) ....do people seriously still believe a lie detector over a positive test for a steroid that has to be injected? (it cant be "planted" in your pee) Sherk wants you to think this is a conspiracy, but its a scapegoat, if he didnt admit it by now he never will, so who cares

Well hold up there just a minute....did you even bother to read what I wrote??? I'm sorry if it came off as me defending Sherk, I actually think he is guilty as charged so I guess thats my bad. Here is my point....HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT POLYGRAPHS ARE EASY TO PASS? My point was that I have actually taken a couple unlike everyone that seems to think they know everything about them. And all I know is that it was hard as hell to hide anything from them. But I completely agree with that last part, he never will admit to it either way so yes, who cares.
Kpro
5/27/08 3:53:49AM

Posted by imanidiot777

Last time I check American law requires "sure beyond a reasonable doubt". If they were sure they wouldn't have cut his suspension to 6 months.

While the above statement is often true, it is not fact.

If you get charged with a DUI for instance (any crime applies here), yet the police (or those in charge) did not properly read you your rights or handled the process incorrectly, you can have the charges waived or reduced when in fact it has nothing to do with how innocent you are.

That is the true way American Law works.

In no way am I saying this is what happened in Sherk's case; just pointing out that it is a possibility.
TSaL
5/27/08 2:42:37PM
Just let it go..... respect all fighters that get in the ring.
/End of THREAD
Pages: [1] 2