Sean Sherk’s Future Decided This Week

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Sean Sherk’s Future Decided This Week
Muay-Thai
10/29/07 9:37:28AM
I saw this, and wanted to post it in the news section, but I don't have 25 posts. I thought it was worth a read anyway.

http://mmajunkie.com/2007/10/29/dayton-daily-news-mma-sean-sherks-future-decided-this-week/
Believe-in-judo81
10/29/07 9:43:52AM
Thanks for the link, but if you ask me it's a waste of time. If Sean hadn't be juicing or something else he would have been cleared by now. The man screwed up... big time, take his title, suspend him, and when he's done his time let him come back clean and give it another go. Best of luck to him and I hope all this was a wake-up call and will in the future become a positive turning point for Sean.
grappler0000
10/29/07 10:06:38AM

Posted by Believe-in-judo81

Thanks for the link, but if you ask me it's a waste of time. If Sean hadn't be juicing or something else he would have been cleared by now. The man screwed up... big time, take his title, suspend him, and when he's done his time let him come back clean and give it another go. Best of luck to him and I hope all this was a wake-up call and will in the future become a positive turning point for Sean.

I'm not arguing his innocence here, but how would he have been cleared by now if he was clean? His hearing isn't until Wednesday.
atlas777
10/29/07 11:39:02AM
Im hoping Sherk gets off clean hes a good champion all though he may not be very exciting hes extremely good but if he did juice then that sucks and he should get suspended and come back clean.
pv3Hpv3p
10/29/07 11:44:15AM
I just hope that something happens quickly... IMO the LW div is one of the most exciting divisions out there... And they've had the fewest title fights... I understand that Sherk had the rotator cuff thing, but now this... It just seems detrimental to a division that you brought back not too long ago
tepid55
10/29/07 1:31:17PM
Sherk will come out clean.
jocka
10/29/07 1:52:45PM
I don t care what happends to him i just want to see a LW Championship fight soon!!
JimiMak
10/29/07 2:20:09PM
1 year ban, $500,000 fine (that's standard right, maybe the fine is a % fo what you make). He got caught juicing BAN him. Right now BJ could be looking at a 2nd title defense. Now he's not looking to fight anyone for it til next year (dec at the earliest)
TNunley
10/29/07 4:38:00PM

Posted by JimiMak

1 year ban, $500,000 fine (that's standard right, maybe the fine is a % fo what you make). He got caught juicing BAN him. Right now BJ could be looking at a 2nd title defense. Now he's not looking to fight anyone for it til next year (dec at the earliest)

It's a 1 year ban, $2,500 fine.

BTW, he didn't get "caught" juicing... he tested 6 nanos above normal... not like someone seen him stick a needle in his hiny! They will decide on Wednesday, and if they drop it, they drop it... if they don't, they don't.
StriderXero
10/29/07 4:38:22PM
not for nothing but this whole Sean Sherk appeal is annoying, especially if they're going to deny his appeal. It'll be just a huge waste of time. Dam this guy even bores me outside of the cage.
MattHughesFan
10/29/07 4:56:03PM

Posted by TNunley

BTW, he didn't get "caught" juicing... he tested 6 nanos above normal... not like someone seen him stick a needle in his hiny! They will decide on Wednesday, and if they drop it, they drop it... if they don't, they don't.

\

Weather sherk did it or not it seems strange that he had a level of 12 nanos which is 6 over the normal. And Royce Gracie tested positive for the same thing and his was over 50 nanos above the normal. Actually they don't know how much he had in his system but the chart only goes up to 50 nanos. It just seems weird to me that 2 fighter have gotten "Caught" using the same substance but one was only 6 nanos above the limit while the other was over 50 nanos above the limit. The substance is naturally made in your body, the average level is 4 nanos for a normal person and 6 nanos after high psychical activity. My friend told me the same substance is used in cows to make them grow better so maybe Sherk had some steak b4 the fight or something because i just can't understand how one person's level is doubled and the other person used the same thing ans his was at least 4 X the normal possibly more.
nickcuc547
10/29/07 4:57:58PM
i hope he gets off, if he is found guilty he deserves the supension but im hoping he didnt do it. sherk is an unbelieveable lighweight and sherk vs. bj is the #1 and #2 lightweight fighters in the world by far imo. for the sake of that fight i hope he gets to keep his title and fight bj.
JimiMak
10/29/07 6:23:09PM

Posted by MattHughesFan

Posted by TNunley

\

Weather sherk did it or not it seems strange that he had a level of 12 nanos which is 6 over the normal. And Royce Gracie tested positive for the same thing and his was over 50 nanos above the normal. Actually they don't know how much he had in his system but the chart only goes up to 50 nanos. It just seems weird to me that 2 fighter have gotten "Caught" using the same substance but one was only 6 nanos above the limit while the other was over 50 nanos above the limit. The substance is naturally made in your body, the average level is 4 nanos for a normal person and 6 nanos after high psychical activity. My friend told me the same substance is used in cows to make them grow better so maybe Sherk had some steak b4 the fight or something because i just can't understand how one person's level is doubled and the other person used the same thing ans his was at least 4 X the normal possibly more.

I'm by no means an expert on juicing, but from what I understand he most likely got caught at the very end of a cycle. That's the simplest explanation as to why his levels were "low", you still have to consider they were TWICE the allowable limit. If it were that easy for athletes to work their way up that high more ppl would be failing for that reason. He isn't the only one that works like an animal.

This is the way the Athletic commissin sees it and now it is up to him to irrefutably prove he didn't even accidentally take anything. I can't think of how that is possible. But this is an appeal, so burden fo proof is on him. I can seee how some say it's a waste of time, but all athletes are offffered the same appeals process, most are just willing to accept the consequences for what they did.
Tailgunner
10/29/07 6:27:27PM
Sherks lay and pray style of fighting is boring..........the Hermes fight was pathetic as are most of Sherks snoozefests!

The guy is a juice monkey and he finally got caught, we will see him next year.
ac_gi
10/30/07 1:50:15AM

Posted by Tailgunner

Sherks lay and pray style of fighting is boring..........the Hermes fight was pathetic as are most of Sherks snoozefests!

The guy is a juice monkey and he finally got caught, we will see him next year.

Sherk doesn't lay and pray. He is active on top, passing guard and delivering strikes. It's not his fault that the guy on bottom can't escape. Well, I guess it is.

I was on the edge of my couch the entire Sherk/Hermes fight. I thought the fight was exciting and an excellent display of ground skill mastery by both.

I really don't understand where the "Sherk is a lay and pray artist" comes from. Because he is a superior wrestler? Someone help me out here.
TNunley
10/30/07 10:38:12AM

Posted by ac_gi
Sherk doesn't lay and pray. He is active on top, passing guard and delivering strikes. It's not his fault that the guy on bottom can't escape. Well, I guess it is.

I was on the edge of my couch the entire Sherk/Hermes fight. I thought the fight was exciting and an excellent display of ground skill mastery by both.

I really don't understand where the "Sherk is a lay and pray artist" comes from. Because he is a superior wrestler? Someone help me out here.

I'm with you on this man! Sure, it wasn't a KO/Submission, but it was one hell of an exciting fight. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time as well. All I could think was how Hermes had destroyed so many guys before this fight, and Sherk hadn't fought in a while.... yet he was completely destroying Hermes. At that point I thought to myself that their is no one in the LW division that can even come close to taking the belt from him if he fights every fight the same as that one.

BJ is an animal when his cardio is great (and even when his cardio isn't great until he gasses), but I still see Sherk being able to control him. Matt Hughes wasn't able to control BJ, but I think Sherk is a far better wrestler, and far better ground fighter than Hughes. IMO, I think Sherk has the best ground game in the business... arguably as good as Tito's ever has been. He may not be an amazing striker, but with that fight I felt he proved he was definitely in the top 5 (or even top 3) P4P fighters in the world. Props to you for a well said post!
JWils
10/30/07 4:28:54PM

Posted by TNunley

Posted by ac_gi

I'm with you on this man! Sure, it wasn't a KO/Submission, but it was one hell of an exciting fight. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time as well. All I could think was how Hermes had destroyed so many guys before this fight, and Sherk hadn't fought in a while.... yet he was completely destroying Hermes. At that point I thought to myself that their is no one in the LW division that can even come close to taking the belt from him if he fights every fight the same as that one.

BJ is an animal when his cardio is great (and even when his cardio isn't great until he gasses), but I still see Sherk being able to control him. Matt Hughes wasn't able to control BJ, but I think Sherk is a far better wrestler, and far better ground fighter than Hughes. IMO, I think Sherk has the best ground game in the business... arguably as good as Tito's ever has been. He may not be an amazing striker, but with that fight I felt he proved he was definitely in the top 5 (or even top 3) P4P fighters in the world. Props to you for a well said post!

I agree with the comments about the Sherk/Franca fight being exciting. I know I enjoyed that fight. Sherk showed amazing toughness by absorbing all of those knees Franca nailed him with. Sherk's wrestling was unbelievable in that fight. Very entertaining to me.

Now, I have to remind you TNunley that Hughes owned Sherk when they fought a few years back. IMO, if BJ doesn't gas when/if he fights Sherk he will submit Sherk. But that's a big if.