Sean Sherk Claims BJ Penn in November!!!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Sean Sherk Claims BJ Penn in November!!!
« Previous Page
Rush
7/8/07 3:31:37PM

Posted by zephead

Where did i say that "GSP doesn't bring it like Sherk"

See below

Posted by zephead

BJ gassed against bot GSP and Hughes and neither one of those fighters bring it like Sherk does.

zephead
7/8/07 3:35:29PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by zephead

Where did i say that "GSP doesn't bring it like Sherk"

See below

Posted by zephead

BJ gassed against bot GSP and Hughes and neither one of those fighters bring it like Sherk does.

SNAP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, GSP does bring it but I don't think there are to many guys that push it like Sherk does. He just doesn't stop. He caught a vicious knee from Franca, dropped for a second and then kept coming. GSP caught a right from Serra and was grapping for air.

I'm not saying that Sherk could or would beat GSP. GSP is to big for him, but Sherks conditioning is out of this world. He probably could have fought another 5 rounds while Franca was done.
kimoron
7/8/07 3:50:33PM
sherk was overly cautious last night with his gameplan. it seemed like he would rather lay on hermes and control him then risk posturing up and punching or trying for a submission. a fight with bj will show us the most boring sean sherk to date. bj's submission game is better than anyones and while sherk is no slouch himself he will have no answer for bj and eventually get submitted sometime in the 2nd or 3rd round. i really hope this happens. sherk is a great fighter but the sooner he loses the belt the better imo.
warglory
7/8/07 4:00:47PM

Posted by zephead

Posted by pharside

I have and i know what its like to have some dude just hold you down cuss he's just stronger and not want to push the fight at all.

Where have you fought?

I know people want to see 2 guys stand in the center of the ring and just bang away, but the transitions in that fight are what I love. Not Griffin/Bonnar 1. Sher/FRanca was 2 ground guys cancelling out each other. Sherks going to do what he needs to, to win. Not please the crowd. The people that go to the UFC fights are looking for a bloodbath.

I went to UFC 53 and dealt with them. It's pathetic. the second the fight hits the ground or there's a 5 second break, they are booing.

Ground fighting is great, I am all for a good chess match of two master technicians. What I don't want to see is a simple wrestling match, or rather a wrestler who is physically dominant pressing his opponent so hard that the opponent has little chance of breaking out or putting on an offensive flurry. A guy straddling another guy for even 5 minutes is a waste of productivity in a 15 or 25 minute match.

Oh, and to answer the question, Penn would win quite easily in my opinion.
roadking95th
7/8/07 4:41:59PM
I just don't get it. If it is so easy to LnP, why doesn't everyone do it. It is not easy to control your opponent. I also disagree that Sherk was LnP-ing against Franca. He passed his guard at will. He had side control. He had mount. He had an iron cross, or whatever you call it. He had all of these several times. I believe Sherk had the cross twice and Franca got out of it, this is prob why Sherk didn't go back to it.

If one is a superior striker, he has only to land one punch to end the fight. If one is a superior BJJ, he has only to catch his opponent in one submission. However, if one is superior at wrestling, he has to control for the entire match unless he can unleash some GnP. What seems harder?

Now, no one wants to see a fighter bury his head in the belly of his opponent and lay there. This is not what happened nor would the refs allow it. Sherk did numerous things throughout the fight to maintain control. I am biased, as I am a wrestling coach, but Sherk put on a clinic, as well did Franca to an extent.

Does Sherk have finishing ability? He sure does. The problem is Franca can take a pounding. Hughes can too. As can GSP. Ken-Flo isn't a slouch either.

Sherk fighting Penn is going to be a good fight. Will Sherk be able to control Penn for 5 rounds, as I don't see him KOing him? Will Penn come in shape? He better or it will be a long night. Can Sherk neutralize BJ's ground game? Can BJ do the same to Sherk? We don't know.

We do know that Penn is not going to stand there with his feet planted because Sherk is an outstanding wrestler and will take him down. Sherk is not going to be reckless from top because Penn is an outstanding BJJ practitioner. These two things you can count on.
CanadianCripplr
7/8/07 4:49:02PM
Did some of you not see sherk almost get choked out early? He was VERY fortunate he escaped. Maybe the stump he calls a neck is made for being unchokeable. I thought he opened himself up a few times. BJ might be able to capitalize on that, imo.
hippysmacker
7/8/07 5:49:49PM

Posted by aceprone

This is a great matchup for 155, untile they build another contender for the 155. Sherk has got some crafting standup, but BJ's standup may not seem powerful at times, but everytime he connects on the feet, his opponents face just seems to turn into mush. GSP for example. I just don't know if Sherk can nutrilize alot of BJ's ground game. BJ is so unorthadox on the ground, it makes him so hard to beat. Who in the world do you know that's a black belt Ju Jitsu artist in the UFC who can sprawl with one leg and almost put you in a triangle with the other leg? BJ is an amazing human being and is for sure going to give Sherk a run for his money. But if Sherk can win, it will give him a good solid standings in the top five of the 155 division. If there's one thing BJ is good at, it's making his opponents extremely famous if they beat him.

All I do know for sure, it's a tough fight to call and a fight to risky to put money on. IMO.

I agree. This fight could go either way, and I want to see a ful motivated in shape Bj for this fight, so we get a true answer.
Vokes
7/8/07 6:24:13PM
That was a really overpowering & domintating bout with Franca.
Sherk's a strong machine and I don't see anyone at this time at 155 that can match his strength. However, Sherk has a hard time Finishing opponents.
I have to go with with BJ on this one. It's gonna be an awesome fight though
Pandaiga
7/8/07 7:16:12PM
I got Sherk with a 3rd round tko, GNP. I cant see bj being tough enough to withstand the gnp over and over, alongside sherks incredible work rate. Correct me if im wrong, but hermes and bj seem like similar fighters.
pharside
7/8/07 10:15:25PM
I think its crazy sherk and Jake O'brian fight about the same IMO but Jakes called a bumb and gets zero love on here or anywhere why is that?
I mean maybe he's not top level yet but i have to give my Indiana guys some hype.
pharside
7/8/07 10:19:59PM

Posted by zephead

Posted by pharside

I have and i know what its like to have some dude just hold you down cuss he's just stronger and not want to push the fight at all.

Where have you fought?

military and the STL area nothing big just something to do never made any money or anything.
Playground_Samurai
7/8/07 10:20:52PM

Posted by kbogarto

I like sherk a lot in interviews and his record is amazing, but its frustrating to watch a fighter who cant finish fights. This fight is a toss up i think and i hope BJ wins but if it goes pass the second round its going to be Sherk. BJ will be too tired and Sherk will be too slipperly to submit.

If BJ can take Sherks back, being slippery will actually help BJ's arm get under Sherks chin for a rear naked. Anyways, here's my analysis.

This is a really tuff fight to call. Penn is the only guy I can see right now in the LW division as even having a chance at dethroning Sherk.

Although Sherk may not be the biggest crowd pleaser, he is probably the strongest, best conditioned, and most dominant LW out there. I'm pretty sure Sherk will have no problem controlling where this fight goes. Knowing that, we can all pretty must rest assured that this fight is going straight to the ground.

That being said, i'm pretty sure that Penn is just as comfortable on the ground, if not more so than standing. Sherk is known for putting his opponents on their backs and Penn is known for having a excellent rubber guard. I believe this could leave Sherk very susceptible to a triangle choke.

Penn has five rounds to pull something off and I don't see Sherk being able to win by any other way than a decision. He's already known for not being a finisher, and I never like to make excuses for a fighter but Penn has only been stopped once in an occurance in which I think the broken rib played a large factor.

Therefore, the way I see this fight going is Sherk dominating and controling the fight until he gets caught in either a triangle or rear naked in the second. round.
GDK
7/8/07 10:21:39PM
BJ is a freak he'll show Sherk things he's never seen before.
ac_gi
7/8/07 10:57:49PM

Posted by zephead

People booing that fight just shows how much they need to learn about MMA. They just want to see 2 dudes get into the center of the ring and throw bombs. Very, very sad.

I couldn't agree more. This was a great battle. Submission attempts, position improvements, a few slams, knee's on the chin, Sherk was rocked and Franca's nose was busted up. I loved the fight. I think that Sherk is just one of those love him or hate him type of guys.
x_soa_x
7/8/07 11:01:50PM
BJ's going to take it hands down. Penn had documentation PROVING that he only 'gassed' against Hughes because he popped a rib on his website for a time. I think I'll be making a bet on this.
Manfred
7/9/07 12:55:57AM

Posted by Rush

And I totally disagree about BJ gassing against Hughes. You don't go from 100% to next to nothing AFTER a rest between rounds. He was injured and was owning Hughes the first two rounds.

+1 Bj even scanned and posted the medical report online so poeple wouldn't think he was making it up
akhillez
7/9/07 1:15:29AM
Sherk will eventually take Penn down, the question is whether or not he will be submitted. Penn's guard is top notch; much more versatile than that of Florian and Franca. It also depends on how aggressive Sherk will be. He might be even more careful this time because Penn is extremely dangerous on the ground, and this could cause Sherk to be content on retaining position.

Penn will have to sweep him and get his back like he did to hughes and go for a rnc. Or he will have to employ a high guard and look for a triangle/omoplata/gogoplata because I think Sherk is too powerful for a guillotine or conventional armbar/kimura/americana. The fact that its five rounds favours Sherks conditioning, but it also means there is more time for Penn to submit him. Depending on how aggressive Sherk is, he may or may not get subbed. And if Penn doesn't does not beat him, I don't think anyone in the near future will.

Prediction: Sherk by decision in fight of the year
LR
7/9/07 10:22:33AM
This fight will come down to BJ's conditioning. He still was looking to gas in the last fight although it wasn't till the very end of the fight, which is a vast improvement. But Sherk doesn't gas. Ever.

So.. will BJ be able to run off a submission on Sherk? If UFC 73 was any indication, Sherk looked unbeatable. He took 4 straight knees to the head, and still kept coming. Instead of stunning him, it causes his course of attack to change slightly to the left or right, that was it. A lot of people are saying this is a BJ Penn win easily, but Sherk is a monster on the ground, it was unbelievable.

SteedTheDeed
7/9/07 2:48:29PM
Sherk has a good chance of beating BJ, and BJ has the only chance of beating sherk.
putnwork4
7/9/07 9:05:02PM
Sherk will never get BJ to the ground.
TOMMYAYO05
7/10/07 3:28:20AM
bj is way too good for sherk
LR
7/10/07 9:22:45AM

Posted by SteedTheDeed

Sherk has a good chance of beating BJ, and BJ has the only chance of beating sherk.

LOL, almost every fighter BJ has faced has taken him down as of late. GSP slammed him down hard. Sherk is as good at his weight and stronger.
Pages: 1 [2]