Sean Sherk Claims BJ Penn in November!!!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Sean Sherk Claims BJ Penn in November!!!
Next Page »
NatedawgThaM
7/8/07 3:58:52AM
On Sherdogs beatdown Sherk said he's fighting BJ in November!!

This fight will depend. Sean Sherk has the best Lay n prey in the game. He's so good he can make refs think he's working. I'm pretty sure BJ saw lots of wholes in Sherks game that could lead to submissions...

This would be a kikc ass fight that would get Sherk off his knees and give him a run for his money...

I got BJ 4th round sub...

thoughts?
JunCTion
7/8/07 4:01:12AM
i really hope bj stays at LW. he will dominate sherk and the division.
StorminYourman
7/8/07 4:34:23AM
Though not a fan of Sherk's style he seems to have an incredible chin.You would need someone like Penn in that weight class to beat him. I am not sure who else could take him down at LW .
veritas
7/8/07 6:11:34AM
this is awesome news, i cant wait for it. If theres anybody in the UFC right now that can dethrone Sherk its surely Penn. I can see Penn submitting Sherk somehow, I dont think either have a great advantage standing, slight edge obviously to BJ, but this fight is destined to go to the ground. I think Penn will find a way to submit him, hes got 5 rounds.
ac_gi
7/8/07 9:08:08AM
I'm seeing a lot of "Penn easy" comments. I really don't understand it. Sean has just beat 2 BJJ black belts in a row. Unlike Penn, he will never get tired. I see Sean stopping him in fine Sherk fashion, 5 round UD.
Manfred
7/8/07 9:22:29AM
^ If BJ really has a renewed desire to be in shape, he could get the w. Hermes and K-Flo don't have the rubber leg takedown defense of BJ.

If BJ keeps it standing, he'd outstrike Sherk, even if he can't KO him
MisFiT
7/8/07 9:38:21AM
Like I said in the News Forums... Sherk is going to impose his will and overwhelm BJ, he will break him down mentally and physically and it will completely break BJ, giving Sherk the opportunity to just beat him down from beginning to end.
painn3ck
7/8/07 10:53:19AM
War Penn!
I agree Sherk is going to manhandle BJ, but have a feeling Sherk is also going to get 'caught' in a nice armbar....
xchickox
7/8/07 10:59:14AM
sherk will destroy BJ Penn...call me a nuthugger i dont care, no-one at 155 comes close to sherk at the moment
Aether
7/8/07 10:59:35AM
man you guys are insane... Matt Hughes is easily stronger than Sherk and he did nothing to BJ until he gassed. If he goes in there in good shape at 155, that's not happening till maybe 4th round at the earliest. I give Sherk a decent shot at pulling out the victory, but if you think he's going to manhandle BJ you must not have seen BJ fight too many physically powerful opponents. I think Sherk would be very lucky to get through 25 minutes without getting caught at some point, and I really really don't see him TKOing BJ.
aceprone
7/8/07 11:15:57AM
This is a great matchup for 155, untile they build another contender for the 155. Sherk has got some crafting standup, but BJ's standup may not seem powerful at times, but everytime he connects on the feet, his opponents face just seems to turn into mush. GSP for example. I just don't know if Sherk can nutrilize alot of BJ's ground game. BJ is so unorthadox on the ground, it makes him so hard to beat. Who in the world do you know that's a black belt Ju Jitsu artist in the UFC who can sprawl with one leg and almost put you in a triangle with the other leg? BJ is an amazing human being and is for sure going to give Sherk a run for his money. But if Sherk can win, it will give him a good solid standings in the top five of the 155 division. If there's one thing BJ is good at, it's making his opponents extremely famous if they beat him.

All I do know for sure, it's a tough fight to call and a fight to risky to put money on. IMO.
Ydoc
7/8/07 11:24:51AM
I'll probably pick BJ in this fight but I may throw some money on Sherk if the odds are good. Should be a real interesting fight, really wanna see if BJ can sprawl Sherk's TD and if Sherk can hang with BJ on the feet.
Aether
7/8/07 11:53:38AM
odds will probably be very even for this fight. I'm guessing something along the lines of like +105/+110... probably not going to be a good one to bet money on at all.
zephead
7/8/07 12:02:22PM
BJ doesn't have the best conditioning and when you fight Sherk, it is 5 rounds of relentless pressure. BJ gassed against bot GSP and Hughes and neither one of those fighters bring it like Sherk does.

BJ is going to have a very tough time with Sherk. I picked the Franca/Sherk fight to go 5 rounds. Franca is a great BJJ player and Sherk is a great wrestler. They cancel each other out. Has nothing to do with "Lay n Pray." Styles make fights and those two are so good on the ground that it turns into a chess match.

People booing that fight just shows how much they need to learn about MMA. They just want to see 2 dudes get into the center of the ring and throw bombs. Very, very sad.
Rush
7/8/07 12:57:27PM

Posted by zephead

BJ doesn't have the best conditioning and when you fight Sherk, it is 5 rounds of relentless pressure. BJ gassed against bot GSP and Hughes and neither one of those fighters bring it like Sherk does.

And Sherk really brought it against GSP lol He got owned that fight.

I figure this is as good place as anywhere to post this.

Does anyone else think Sherk might be a little overrated? I know his record is one of the best in MMA, but I looked at his UFC/Pride record and it's not that great.

UFC 36 - Jutaro Nakao - Win by Decision
UFC 39 - Benji Radach - Win by TKO (cut)
UFC 42 - Matt Hughes - Loss by Decision
Pride Bushido 2 - Ryuki Ueyama - Win by Decision
UFC 56 - GSP - Loss by (brutal) TKO
UFC 59 - Nick Diaz - Win by Decision
UFC 64 - Kenny Florian - Win by Decision
UFC 73 - Hermes Franca - Win by Decision

So that's a UFC and Pride combined record of 6-2, where all but one win is by decision and the other is by a cut. Of the wins in the UFC, only recently has he beaten top fighters. The guy from Pride has a losing record and despite Nakano and Radach having decent records, they only fight in smaller events.

I'm by no means criticizing Sherk's ability, but I just think that his UFC/Pride record is not as great as people make him out to be.

I guess another question would be is how much stock do you put into wins in smaller (or non-UFC or Pride) events? I know Sherk beat Karo twice, but Ken Shamrock owned Bas Rutten in Pancrase and yet most people say Shamrock sucks because of his UFC and Pride record.
Naturaldisaster
7/8/07 1:06:41PM
Ok I'm not a big sherk fan but after last night, I don't think there is any LW in ufc that can beat him right now. I would love to see penn as the champ but I don't think it will happen.
gspfan31
7/8/07 1:33:46PM
bj is gonna be the huge fan fav. in that fight. from the reaction of the crowd last night, it looks like sherk is on his way to becoming the next sylvia
pharside
7/8/07 1:41:31PM
How can anyone say he's not just a great lay'n pray guy I didn't think he was even trying to do anything other than hold down Franca and stay on top without making any major mistakes. lame if you ask me
chickmagnet
7/8/07 1:45:08PM
hey, bj will win that fight. In the fight with franca, sherk was very
vulnerable standing up franca landed like 4 flying knees and one of them
almost finished the fight, on the ground sherk was clearly the more dominate fighter but he didn't try to finish the fight, sherk also got caught in some
submissions but muscled his way out, its not gonna happen with bj penn,
bj will catch him in some submission and finish the fight, GSP crushed
Sean Sherk and BJ Penn fought a close decsision with GSP, if they really
do fight you will see a replay of Hughes vs. Penn the first time they fought
at UFC46

Baby Jay all the way!!!!!
puppetmaster837
7/8/07 1:51:56PM
I disagree with all the people that are saying he just did LnP last night. did he not mount hermes? he was going to sideguard whenever he felt like it. he was always trying to improve his position. but Hermes is a BJJ black belt, he knows how to fight on the ground and he knows how to defend. Hermes wasnt able to stop the take downs, but on the ground he was able to neutralize him.
pharside
7/8/07 2:11:18PM

Posted by puppetmaster837

I disagree with all the people that are saying he just did LnP last night. did he not mount hermes? he was going to sideguard whenever he felt like it. he was always trying to improve his position. but Hermes is a BJJ black belt, he knows how to fight on the ground and he knows how to defend. Hermes wasnt able to stop the take downs, but on the ground he was able to neutralize him.

I'm not sure what fight you watched but sure he could get mount and side. However did you see him do anything that looked even close to a sub or was he really trying to do anything to finsh the fight?
puppetmaster837
7/8/07 2:42:12PM
Its a lot easier said than done to finish a BJJ black belt on the ground
zephead
7/8/07 3:03:14PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by zephead

And Sherk really brought it against GSP lol He got owned that fight.

I figure this is as good place as anywhere to post this.

Does anyone else think Sherk might be a little overrated? I know his record is one of the best in MMA, but I looked at his UFC/Pride record and it's not that great.

UFC 36 - Jutaro Nakao - Win by Decision
UFC 39 - Benji Radach - Win by TKO (cut)
UFC 42 - Matt Hughes - Loss by Decision
Pride Bushido 2 - Ryuki Ueyama - Win by Decision
UFC 56 - GSP - Loss by (brutal) TKO
UFC 59 - Nick Diaz - Win by Decision
UFC 64 - Kenny Florian - Win by Decision
UFC 73 - Hermes Franca - Win by Decision

So that's a UFC and Pride combined record of 6-2, where all but one win is by decision and the other is by a cut. Of the wins in the UFC, only recently has he beaten top fighters. The guy from Pride has a losing record and despite Nakano and Radach having decent records, they only fight in smaller events.

I'm by no means criticizing Sherk's ability, but I just think that his UFC/Pride record is not as great as people make him out to be.

I guess another question would be is how much stock do you put into wins in smaller (or non-UFC or Pride) events? I know Sherk beat Karo twice, but Ken Shamrock owned Bas Rutten in Pancrase and yet most people say Shamrock sucks because of his UFC and Pride record.

Randy didn't bring it against Chuck the last 2 times they fought. So I guess Randy isn't all that??? Sherk had to drop down in weight. GSP is 5'10" to Sherks 5'6" Yes Sherk brings it. He is like the energizer bunny. So because he got "owned" in a fight, it means he doesn't bring it. lol

Dennis Kang fought in smaller shows before he exploded in Bushido. Everybody is all over Cung Le, he fought in smaller shows. The same with Machido. Some guys need to be given a chance.

Some fighters have a off night. BJ gassed and got owned by Hughes. It's a fight and anything can happen
zephead
7/8/07 3:04:11PM

Posted by pharside

How can anyone say he's not just a great lay'n pray guy I didn't think he was even trying to do anything other than hold down Franca and stay on top without making any major mistakes. lame if you ask me

Feel free to go out there and fight.
pharside
7/8/07 3:10:45PM
I have and i know what its like to have some dude just hold you down cuss he's just stronger and not want to push the fight at all.
zephead
7/8/07 3:15:25PM

Posted by pharside

I have and i know what its like to have some dude just hold you down cuss he's just stronger and not want to push the fight at all.

Where have you fought?

I know people want to see 2 guys stand in the center of the ring and just bang away, but the transitions in that fight are what I love. Not Griffin/Bonnar 1. Sher/FRanca was 2 ground guys cancelling out each other. Sherks going to do what he needs to, to win. Not please the crowd. The people that go to the UFC fights are looking for a bloodbath.

I went to UFC 53 and dealt with them. It's pathetic. the second the fight hits the ground or there's a 5 second break, they are booing.
Rush
7/8/07 3:16:45PM

Posted by zephead

Randy didn't bring it against Chuck the last 2 times they fought. So I guess Randy isn't all that??? Sherk had to drop down in weight. GSP is 5'10" to Sherks 5'6" Yes Sherk brings it. He is like the energizer bunny. So because he got "owned" in a fight, it means he doesn't bring it. lol

Dennis Kang fought in smaller shows before he exploded in Bushido. Everybody is all over Cung Le, he fought in smaller shows. The same with Machido. Some guys need to be given a chance.

Some fighters have a off night. BJ gassed and got owned by Hughes. It's a fight and anything can happen

I never said Sherk never brings it, but I made the comment because you stated that GSP doesn't bring it like Sherk. Watch some GSP fights some time. That man pushes the action and is relentless. The only difference is that he finishes his opponents.

I agree that guys need to be given a chance, but that wasn't the question I was asking.

And I totally disagree about BJ gassing against Hughes. You don't go from 100% to next to nothing AFTER a rest between rounds. He was injured and was owning Hughes the first two rounds.

Oh and regarding Randy. As much as I like Randy (we even share the same middle name lol) and think he is a great fighter, However, how is a guy that is 15-8 (3-3 in his last six fights) is considered one the best fighters of all time? Easy answer. Because he has only fough the top guys over his career, which leads me back to my question about records, how a fighter is evaluated by their records and the events in which the fought.
cdbbigdaddy
7/8/07 3:17:24PM
This will be a hell of a fight, I was really impressed with the way Sherk handled Franca. Whenever Franca tried to get away from him, Sherk took him back down and never let him get any offense going, the only time Franca did anything was in the beginning of the rounds when he was on his feet and was able to land a knee. When it comes to Penn, he is a master of submissions and it looked like Sherk allowed himself to get caught in a couple of guillitines. I'm not sure if he will be able to escape from Penn as often as he did from Franca. As for stamina, Sherk is a cardio warrior and he will easily be able to go the distance with Penn, the big question is will Penn have the same cardio when Sherk is plowing him into the mat all night long.
kbogarto
7/8/07 3:19:55PM
I like sherk a lot in interviews and his record is amazing, but its frustrating to watch a fighter who cant finish fights. This fight is a toss up i think and i hope BJ wins but if it goes pass the second round its going to be Sherk. BJ will be too tired and Sherk will be too slipperly to submit.
zephead
7/8/07 3:26:38PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by zephead

I never said Sherk never brings it, but I made the comment because you stated that GSP doesn't bring it like Sherk. Watch some GSP fights some time. That man pushes the action and is relentless. The only difference is that he finishes his opponents.

I agree that guys need to be given a chance, but that wasn't the question I was asking.

And I totally disagree about BJ gassing against Hughes. You don't go from 100% to next to nothing AFTER a rest between rounds. He was injured and was owning Hughes the first two rounds.

Where did i say that "GSP doesn't bring it like Sherk"

I know GSP pushes the pace. BJ might have had a injury, but rewatch the fight, you can see his gas tank just flowing out. He went for a triangle and that put a hurtin on him
Pages: [1] 2