Sean Salmon Admits to Taking a Dive

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Sean Salmon Admits to Taking a Dive
emfleek
9/3/09 8:51:33AM
In his latest "Full-Time Fighter" column for MMA Junkie, former UFC light heavyweight (and eternal star of Rashad Evans' highlight reel) Sean Salmon makes a rather startling admission regarding his last fight, which took place in Ohio back in June.

Salmon says that he was training with members of the Wolfslair Academy in Cheshire, England, when he flew back to Ohio on June 3rd for a match against WEC veteran Allan Weickert (then with a record of 5-6 to Salmon's 16-7) on June 6th. He was set to return to England on June 7th, provided he emerged from the Weickert bout unscathed.

STORY
breakdown5
9/3/09 9:17:22AM
That is disgraceful. He'll never be a champion, but still. Have a little respect.
cowcatcher
9/3/09 9:19:27AM
im a sympathetic person, and id like to read the rest of what he said, but this is incredibly disgraceful.
emfleek
9/3/09 9:32:30AM
It's actually an interesting article but I'm torn on what to think...
postman
9/3/09 10:01:52AM
You know what I can't stand him and he is a peice......nevermind no fighter bashing. He was supposed to headline a show one of my training partners was in and he didn't take that seriously and didn't make weight by almost 15 lbs. I hope he is never given another fight. Sad
Mayhem13
9/3/09 10:15:14AM
I was actualy cageside for this event.

He was dominating the gy the whole first round..and like he said, in the second dude went for an armbar and wasnt even close...then like a few soconds later he sunk one in...it was weird...but I would have neve guessed Sean threw the fight.

thats pretty disrespectful to the sport, fans, orginization, and his opponent (who acted like an ass afterwardsa nyways...but still)
Wallass
9/3/09 11:09:12AM
On the risk of fighter bashing, ive never been a fan of Salmon. After getting ko'd by Rashad and being told he was going to fight Belcher I remember him saying that he was disappointed he wasnt fighting a name fighter and that Belcher was not close to being that caliber of fighter. What gives him the right to think that after getting KO'd by Rashad in one of the best highlight reel knockouts of all time that he deserves some big star? Laughed HARD when Belcher subbed him in less then a minute. This guy is far from a class act and should not be booked for another show ever, unless Vince McMahon is running the league.
KaibaThedon
9/3/09 12:40:14PM
Can't respect actions like these at all. Disgraceful.
Aaronno9
9/3/09 1:05:54PM
So he got hit with one elbow during a round and a half of a fight he was dominating - then decided to throw it incase he got hit again. Thats the stupidest thing I ever heard.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
9/3/09 1:26:17PM

What a disgrace

Never in my wildest dreams did I think that my column would cause this much nonsense...let me explain/clarify...
First of all, I did NOT throw the fight. I went into the cage as I always do - expecting to win. In hind sight, I also went in there with more on my mind than I could ignore. The bottom line is, I quit. I gave up when things got hard. It was a horrible situation for me to deal with, but opening up about it has made things easier/better for me. Further more, than only people that I own an apology too is my family and training partners.
And I don't give a **** about anyone that may have made or lost money on that fight. I am not a gambler (one problem I have managed to avoid), but I think betting on MMA is about as risky as getting in the cage.
About Wolfslair, let me start by saying that I trully like everyone I met there. They are a great group of guys that I will always consider friends. In this situation, I was a paid training partner. I had an agreement to get paid a certain amount of money to do whatever was asked of me. I held up my end of the deal and have not yet been paid. Mentioning this situation in the column was little more than an attempt to get them to return my calls, texts, or emails. Nothing more.
For the person that made a comment that somehow I was disrespetful towards Duke or his gym, but saying that they are now good, because they are bigger or better. You could not be more wrong. I even stated that I was the one that didn't take advantage of my opportunity while I was there. I suppose I should have said...they were great the first time I was there, but now I am ready to embrace a new enviorment and learn as much as I can. I am returning to Milwaukee right after my fight next weekend and would appreciate if you didn't try to make things awkward for me:)
Finally, my life is not longer out of control (no more than the rest of yours), I have goals that I am reaching for everyday and at the end of the day, that is most important.
I am not the first person to have ever quit and gave up during a fight, I will not be the last, but I will never do it again. However, I might be the only dumbass to write about it. Thats alright...I did it for me, not for you. If you can learn from my mistakes, great. If you are no longer a fan of mine, I'm sorry, but keep watching I might be able to win you back. If you think the fact that I quit is the worst thing in the world and you will never cheer for me again, just promise me you won't respond to anything I write again.
If you are reading this and post on MMAJunkie, please copy and past this, I forgot my password to log in. Thanks. If you have anyother questions (serious), email me directly at salmonsean@yahoo.com.
Sean
Wallass
9/3/09 4:21:04PM
I still dont forgive Sean. Thats what makes people a fighter, Neer was extremely close if not going to jail at some point and the guy goes in there and gives his all, Randy has divorced many of his wives around big fights and always gives his all, Ed Herman and Chris Tcuhsherer shouldnt have even been fighting after what happened to them on saturday and they still went in and gave it their all. He quit on himself and the truth is, thats even worse then the fans quiting on you.
Rush
9/3/09 4:30:37PM

Posted by emfleek

As was I. In fact, given what was written in the article and what was posted at above this, it makes me wonder what the definition of "throwing a fight" really is.

If what Sean said is true, I don't think he threw the fight. He just quit (no different than a fighter quitting because he is too tired or hurt.

With that said, I officially consider throwing a fight to be defined as intentionally losing a fight based on the interests of others.

I've never been a fan of Salmon and this incident doesn't change anything, but I am going to cut him a bit of slack.
emfleek
9/3/09 4:39:06PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by emfleek

As was I. In fact, given what was written in the article and what was posted at above this, it makes me wonder what the definition of "throwing a fight" really is.

If what Sean said is true, I don't think he threw the fight. He just quit (no different than a fighter quitting because he is too tired or hurt.

With that said, I officially consider throwing a fight to be defined as intentionally losing a fight based on the interests of others.

I've never been a fan of Salmon and this incident doesn't change anything, but I am going to cut him a bit of slack.

I agree. Things he mentioned in the article were a little fuzzy and everyone jumped to conclusions.

I'll definitely cut the guy some slack.
BustedKnuckle
9/3/09 5:27:18PM
Damn some things are better left unsaid. He might have doe it to get his name back on the MMA blogs and all the hype surrounding......any exposure is good exposure!?!?!?!?!
scobac
9/3/09 6:11:53PM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

What a disgrace

Never in my wildest dreams did I think that my column would cause this much nonsense...let me explain/clarify...
First of all, I did NOT throw the fight. I went into the cage as I always do - expecting to win. In hind sight, I also went in there with more on my mind than I could ignore. The bottom line is, I quit. I gave up when things got hard. It was a horrible situation for me to deal with, but opening up about it has made things easier/better for me. Further more, than only people that I own an apology too is my family and training partners.
And I don't give a **** about anyone that may have made or lost money on that fight. I am not a gambler (one problem I have managed to avoid), but I think betting on MMA is about as risky as getting in the cage.
About Wolfslair, let me start by saying that I trully like everyone I met there. They are a great group of guys that I will always consider friends. In this situation, I was a paid training partner. I had an agreement to get paid a certain amount of money to do whatever was asked of me. I held up my end of the deal and have not yet been paid. Mentioning this situation in the column was little more than an attempt to get them to return my calls, texts, or emails. Nothing more.
For the person that made a comment that somehow I was disrespetful towards Duke or his gym, but saying that they are now good, because they are bigger or better. You could not be more wrong. I even stated that I was the one that didn't take advantage of my opportunity while I was there. I suppose I should have said...they were great the first time I was there, but now I am ready to embrace a new enviorment and learn as much as I can. I am returning to Milwaukee right after my fight next weekend and would appreciate if you didn't try to make things awkward for me:)
Finally, my life is not longer out of control (no more than the rest of yours), I have goals that I am reaching for everyday and at the end of the day, that is most important.
I am not the first person to have ever quit and gave up during a fight, I will not be the last, but I will never do it again. However, I might be the only dumbass to write about it. Thats alright...I did it for me, not for you. If you can learn from my mistakes, great. If you are no longer a fan of mine, I'm sorry, but keep watching I might be able to win you back. If you think the fact that I quit is the worst thing in the world and you will never cheer for me again, just promise me you won't respond to anything I write again.
If you are reading this and post on MMAJunkie, please copy and past this, I forgot my password to log in. Thanks. If you have anyother questions (serious), email me directly at salmonsean@yahoo.com.
Sean

is this a quote from an article?
Aether
9/3/09 7:53:46PM
"He went for an armbar, I defended it (only to prove to myself that he couldn't get it), and then I put my arm back in to give him the win so that I could return to England, healthy."

I don't see how anyone can say that this does not fall under the banner of throwing a fight. It doesn't matter who benefits, what does the word "throw" mean in relation to a competition? Unless you're talking about the physical movement of throwing an object, it means to lose intentionally. It's right there in the title. Whether someone else benefited from it or not is not relevant. It might not be considered FIXING the fight, since it wasn't prearranged, but this is absolutely throwing a fight.

I also don't believe it's fair to say that anyone jumped to any conclusions, it's a direct quote straight from the horse's mouth, all of the excuses he makes about being sad, stressed or afraid of being cut frankly I have no sympathy for at all.

Vitor Belfort had his sister kidnapped and murdered and still stepped into the cage and gave it his all every single time, what is this dude's excuse? He might get cut? He chose to do drugs? Just about every fighter goes through extreme stress, physical injuries, and personal issues and they don't all throw fights anytime their life gets tough or they think they might get cut. And to explain it in such a way as to say "well I could have beaten him if I wanted to, but I just let him have it". Not only is he admitting throwing a fight, but he's stroking his own ego while doing it. Amazing.

And then to completely backpedal, saying "I did not throw the fight I gave up when things got hard" That's funny because you were just talking about how easily you were manhandling the guy, even making a point to say "I defended the armbar only to prove he couldn't get it.". Wow. Are people supposed to be impressed by that comment?

The second part is clearly written in an indignant, defensive tone,how about these classy, humble quotes: "the only people I owe an apology to are my family and training partners." "And I don't give a **** about anyone that may have made or lost money on that fight" "I still haven't been paid". All of this plus the attitude he exhibited towards his opponents in the UFC. He really seems to think that he's above everyone, even in the middle of admitting to throwing a fight.

This is a new level of classlessness, I don't think any of the words that I'm allowed to use on this forum would adequately convey my distaste for this guy. I'm definitely not remotely torn.
Rush
9/3/09 8:21:46PM

Posted by Aether

I don't see how anyone can say that this does not fall under the banner of throwing a fight. It doesn't matter who benefits, what does the word "throw" mean in relation to a competition?

So by your definition anyone that quits a fight for any reason other than pain or injury is throwing a fight?

To me there is a difference by influencing the outcome of a fight BEFORE the fight takes place, thus implying outside benefactors vs. deciding that you want to quit/lose DURING the fight.

I'm not defending what he did, but I believe there is a difference between the two scenarios.
Aether
9/3/09 8:52:45PM
throw (thro)
v. threw (throo), thrown (thron), throw·ing, throws

v. tr.

17. Informal To lose or give up (a contest, for example) purposely.

It's not really a matter of what I think, that's the definition of the word, there are no requisites for the reason you choose to give up.

BUT as I said, I do agree that FIXING a fight and THROWING a fight are not necessarily the same thing. In order to fix a fight someone has to throw a fight, but someone who throws a fight is not necessarily doing so because the fight has been fixed ahead of time. I think that fixing is the word you are looking for, where it is planned ahead for some specific reason, usually profit, which yes, I agree is explicitly different from throwing a fight without premeditating it.

That being said I do not believe that what he did is comparable to a fighter in a battle having his resilience broken by a fighter with more heart. He's pretty adamant about how easily he was winning the fight, about how his opponent could not possibly armbar him unless he physically placed his own arm in the lock etc. I just don't buy the "when things got hard I quit" He uses the word "easily" to describe how he handled his opponent. To me, those statements are utterly and completely contradictory. All that looks like is him backpedaling after taking the flak he deserves.

Do I think that he rigged the fight for money? No. Do I think he threw the fight? Yes.
ncordless
9/3/09 9:29:08PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by Aether

I don't see how anyone can say that this does not fall under the banner of throwing a fight. It doesn't matter who benefits, what does the word "throw" mean in relation to a competition?

So by your definition anyone that quits a fight for any reason other than pain or injury is throwing a fight?

To me there is a difference by influencing the outcome of a fight BEFORE the fight takes place, thus implying outside benefactors vs. deciding that you want to quit/lose DURING the fight.

I'm not defending what he did, but I believe there is a difference between the two scenarios.

The difference between quitting due to injury or exhaustion, losing on purpose, and throwing a fight for personal gain are pretty clear.

Salmon lost the fight on purpose for reasons having nothing to do with his ability to carry on in the fight.

People expect that when they are watching a sports contest the athletes are going to try to win to the best of their ability. Doing less than that as an athlete is an affront to the sport and its fans. And even more so if the athlete is intentionally trying to lose the contest.

I can see what you mean rush about him not really "throwing" the fight in the sense that he didn't pull a Blacksox-type of move. But what he did was still completely outside the bounds of what is acceptable.

I am sure there have been other times where a fighter has given up an easy loss on purpose, but to my knowledge no one else has been dumb enough to write about it.

I imagine there will be some reprecussions from all this, and I can't say that I care too much about what kind of trouble this causes him because fighting with any intentions other than 1) winning and 2) providing an exciting show is not acceptable in MMA or any other sport.

Imagine if a MLB player said he struck out to lose the game on purpose because he didn't want to get hurt on the basepath... or an NFL safety didn't tackle a player and let him score the winning touchdown because he didn't want to hurt himself.
Rush
9/3/09 10:16:54PM
Well, I don't consider the baseball, football, etc examples to be the same because those are team sports whereas this is individual competition (though that can also be debated, but I believe that MMA competition is individual.) and the fighter only lets themselves down.

I guess the way I look at it is that if the fight was lost purely for the reasons he stated, I don't see anything wrong with that. There was no (to our knowledge) scheme involved to win money or do anything illegal. He just gave up for his own reasons. His punishment is the loss on his record and I think that is sufficient. The same goes for any guy that says he is too tired to continue. His loss for "throwing" the fight is the L on his record. I guess it all goes back to what I asked a little while back and whether or not these fighters owe us anything, to which I responded "no".

To be honest, if he should be criticized for doing the dumb thing and mention all this publicly. Because really that is what all this is about. Had he kept his mouth shut, nobody would have thought differently.

If a fighter chooses in mid-battle to not give 100% I am ok with that. In the end they get what is coming to them, usually in the form of an "L" and possibly alienation from big orgs. Likewise, I don't hold a higher standard for fighters that make stupid decisions in vain either. Ed Herman for example, IMO, made a big boo boo continuing the fight with a messed up knee and then throwing a kick too boot. To anyone with half a brain, it was obvious he was not going to win that fight and him trying to look like a "warrior" probably cost him an extra month or two on the couch with a worse injury. Had he said "that is enough" after the first round, I would have accepted that. If it was going into round 3 and he clearly won round 1 and 2, I would think there was more reason for him continue, but it was obvious that he was not going to win that fight as it was coming out of round 1. (I'll probably get blasted for this, but that is how I feel)