Who has the UFC screwed the most?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Who has the UFC screwed the most?
« Previous Page | Next Page »
thepunisher
8/21/07 3:40:13PM

Posted by loonytnt

imo CC for sure i know you all are reading this askin yourself ''now why CC''

because he had to fight gabriel lol some1 had to no he was going leg kick him !

No but really i think the ppl that dana bought the UFC from (not sure there names) bc dana and the other 2 owner probly didnt buy it for that much and now look at it. i dont think i said that right but GO VERA KICK TIM @$$

No i am reading this asking myself what the hell does this say

it is jibberish
Lord_Lenny
8/21/07 3:58:47PM
Still has to be Ken Shamrock. Pretty much force him to fight in a weight class he's not comfortable in. At his age its a lot harder to cut weight. They match him up against a guy they know he cant beat 3 times. Feed him to Rich Franklin. Basically tell him he's fighting Bisping and take it away. And now completely ignore him when all he seems to want is a legend's fight to go out on now that he's healthy. They basically used his name to build up Rich Franklin, and use his distaste for Tito to make some money. To my knowledge, other than UFC 2 (where there was no way he could fight) he's never turned down a fight, although he's often injured. He's risked his body and health for the ufc, helped to build the sport, repeatedly debated many people to inform people about MMA. He was one of the UFC's biggest draws and they basically abused him, and now that he has one request of his own he's completely ignored
Ultimate_fighter
8/21/07 6:09:21PM

Posted by loller90278

the fans -- for buying pride!!

Man that was the best thing in MMA History!!! If Pride wasn't sold to the UFC we wouldn't see matchups like Rampage vs Iceman or Wandy vs Iceman or Shogun in the Octagon.... man this is the best thing that has ever happened! UFC number one MMA Organization buying the number 2 MMA Organization.... man this is great, UFC makes tons of Money becuz they are giving us the dream matchups we have been waiting for!
Jackelope
8/21/07 7:49:34PM
If Forrest Griffin beats Shogun the UFC may have very well given him the best gift of his career. It's doubtful he'll beat him, but if somehow he pulls off that upset he'll have done the impossible and it will launch him light years ahead of the position he's in right now. If he loses to Shogun Rua everyone will say "I knew he would lose" and won't think of it as any big deal. He really has little to lose and the world to gain in this fight. I don't think that's getting screwed at all.

I tend to agree with people who say Matt Lindland. Lindland is a great competitor who's not afraid to take anyone on. Plus, he's team Quest so you can never count him entirely out of the fight.

On a side note I laughed when I saw the title of this thread. Sad when things have come to this point.
tommyprairie
8/21/07 8:10:59PM
Lindland, hands down
kaduey
8/21/07 10:43:08PM

Posted by spider1179

Posted by kaduey

Tim Sylvia, Matt Lindland, Trevor Prangley

How has Sylvia been screwed?

Like it or not Sylvia has beat some of the best in the heavyweight division. The UFC has never treated him like a champ since returning from his supension. He loses his title to Randy and drops of the planet for a few months. You think thats his decision?
AAfan
8/21/07 10:55:39PM
i agree Vitor
Damien6663
8/21/07 11:10:03PM
I believe he would not have to fight outside the us for a year, cause a steroid suspension, he fought overseas after a steroid suspension.
hippysmacker
8/22/07 1:25:25AM

Posted by We_Todd_Did

Posted by Lord_Lenny

For all the small things. Portraying it like he was ducking chuck when he was champ. Basically bashing him in the last 20 min of the "bad blood" thing. Erasing him from their record books while he was holding out. Only showing one winning fight on Unleashed. All the small stuff that damages his image

Point taken...but no one damages Tito Ortiz's image like Tito Ortiz.

Have to agree that Tito seems to bring all this on himself. I still think he was ducking Chuck( yes I have heard all the arguments on both sides many times) , and I have seen him fight Shamrock, and Forrest on unleashed in the last year alone. I also think Vitor beat Tito, but also think we haven't seen a really good Vitor since .Then I see no reason to bring him back , other than to sell tickets and put someone over off his name. So while I think a Wandy/ Vitor2 fight would be good for Wandy's career, I think it would only benefit Vitor's bank account. I actually think the guy they have screwed the worse is GSP. There was talk of him fighting Trigg as a # 1 contender match. Then the same thing vs Sherk. Then Bj comes back , and he has to fight Bj as well, before he got that title shot . That seemed excessive to me.
Taylor8766
8/22/07 2:05:46AM
tito ortiz for sure he ruled the LHW devision for 5 years before losing his belt and going on a one year layoff and then the thing that really gets me the most is that he didn't even get invited back to the ten year reunion, in which he marketed for the longest time
johny_rotten
8/22/07 2:57:13AM
I am laughing at the thought that the UFC screwed Big Tim and Forrest.

Tim who tested positive for steroids, but was the first person to fight for the vacated title. Josh Barnett the only other champ to vacate a title due to steroids hasn't been invited back 35 PPVs later. Tim who lost the title, but since Mir broke he femur, was the first man to fight for the vacated title. Tim who is one of only two UFC fighters that got an instant rematch after losing their belt. Seriously though you could make a compelling argument that Tim has had the best treatment of any UFC fighter.

Forrest Griffin???? Forrest's PPV debut was against Bill Mahood. A man that has never fought in the UFC before or after this fight. A man that was 40 years old, and coming off a loss before this fight. The he gets the very tough Elvis Sinosic who was 1-3 in the UFC coming in to this fight. They also hand wrapped him a Xyience endorsement deal. Put him in the co-main event after his first loss in the UFC, to Tito. You can't be screwed by the UFC because they put you in there against good fighters. There business is good fighters, if you can't hang with them you don't belong in the UFC.
johny_rotten
8/22/07 3:05:21AM
I would like to add two names to the list.:

1.Josh Barnett: Yes he tested positive for steroids, but many have after him and the got to fight in the UFC again. It has been 5 years and Josh still hasn't got another shot.

2. Duane Ludwig: 2-0 in the UFC(both fights he was added as a late replacement,) but he has never been offererd a contract. His first win he was a huge underdog, and he shocked the MMW world. Not only did he take the fight on short notice, defeat a huge favorite, but it is also one of the most entertaining fights in UFC history. 3 years later he is finally invited back again as a relacement. Bangs then records the fastest KO in UFC history, and a year and half later they still haven't given him another shot.

I still think Vitor is the correct answer, but these guys have cases.
Rush
8/22/07 8:20:44AM

Posted by loller90278

the fans -- for buying pride!!

While I agree with this, I am biting my tongue in hope that my opinion will change.....

I agree with the comments about Vitor. He should be given another shot. I say three fights. Who knows, maybe he was offered something and turned it down (a while ago).

As for recent fighters, I really think the UFC screwed David Loiseau over. The guy loses an exciting fight by decision over Franklin, and then another to Swick (which I think Loiseau should've been able to win) and then he is let go. At that time MW and LHW divisions were the weakest in the UFC and they let go one of the best MW fighters.
Yaknowhaimean
8/22/07 12:23:21PM

Posted by Branwest

Also, I think Nick Diaz has been screwed too. Look what he did to Gomi (forget about the weed, it's not a performance enhancing drug), and Gomi was supposed to be the best at his weight, and one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world. (PS: I love Gomi, think he is one of the best at his weight, and he did go into that fight under-conditioned and wasn't ready for a war) Dana needs to let him come back (and get Lawler back as well).

I agree Diaz has been screwed. And speakign of Diaz, another who has been screwed (albeit not as badly as some of these guys) is Karo. How has he not had his title shot yet? Obviously it's tough with the belt changing hands so much, and now the TUF coaches and such... but still. Dude's got talent, even if he comes off as a huge prick.

Louiseau is interesting, but they felt he didn't have "it" to win the big fights (heart?). Now it looks like Arlovski is heading into a similar limbo after being promised a title fight and then having it revoked...
nubby
8/22/07 12:34:36PM

Posted by johny_rotten

I would like to add two names to the list.:

1.Josh Barnett: Yes he tested positive for steroids, but many have after him and the got to fight in the UFC again. It has been 5 years and Josh still hasn't got another shot.

2. Duane Ludwig: 2-0 in the UFC(both fights he was added as a late replacement,) but he has never been offererd a contract. His first win he was a huge underdog, and he shocked the MMW world. Not only did he take the fight on short notice, defeat a huge favorite, but it is also one of the most entertaining fights in UFC history. 3 years later he is finally invited back again as a relacement. Bangs then records the fastest KO in UFC history, and a year and half later they still haven't given him another shot.

I still think Vitor is the correct answer, but these guys have cases.

Josh Barnett wasn't kicked out of the UFC, he didn't want to fight in the UFC after what he perceived to be a hit job by the UFC on his career. The fact is he tested positive for steroids and he didn't want to fight it because he couldn't get the money to fly out to the hearings to contest them. He then proceeded to bad talk the UFC for not sticking by him and stripping him of his title. He brought that pain on himself for using steroids and I have no doubts that if he doesn't come to the UFC now, it's only because he wouldn't be able to compete without them. It makes me wonder all those years ago would he have beaten Couture without the steroids. And that is the problem with having steroid users in the UFC.

Also to those saying that Tito brought his pain onhimself... that is the case with any outspoken person. But unlike other outspoken people Tito did what he claims. He lead the UFC through it's dark period and continued to draw out the fans during a time when the UFC almost got banned from the states. He never ducked Chuck and Chuck is a liar IMO. He always disputed being Tito's friend but you can watch old fights where Tito was cheering for Chuck and Chuck would throw him a thumbs up or would hug him in the ring after a win. They were friends and Chuck just doesn't want to admit it because he would look like a complete ass for saying Tito ducked him when in fact Tito didn't want to fight his friend. If Tito ducked Chuck why was he so anxious to fight him a second time and now even a third? You don'tbelieve it? Go on to UFC.com and download some of Chucks old fights before he was champ... Tito was right there in his corner or in the seats cheering him on.
fullerene
8/22/07 1:03:21PM
Dana has repeatedly tried to screw Tito Ortiz and Rachelle Leah, but they have also been trying to screw him at the same time.
Rush
8/22/07 1:27:56PM

Posted by Yaknowhaimean

Louiseau is interesting, but they felt he didn't have "it" to win the big fights (heart?). Now it looks like Arlovski is heading into a similar limbo after being promised a title fight and then having it revoked...

However, the bottom line was that he was an exciting fighter and considering how he almost knocked out Franklin late in the fight, I can't see how anyone would feel he wasn't "it". I agree his fire was dim in the Swick fight, but you would think the UFC would give him the benefit of the doubt. Besides, ibid on my comment regarding the lack of depth in the MW division. Loiseau was top 5 at the time. It didn't make sense to me to let him go.

Also, I can think of many fighters that do not appear to belong in the UFC for various reasons, yet they are still there.
Rush
8/22/07 1:31:20PM

Posted by fullerene

Dana has repeatedly tried to screw Rachelle Leah

I don't blame him. lol
Yaknowhaimean
8/22/07 2:34:13PM

Posted by Rush

However, the bottom line was that he was an exciting fighter and considering how he almost knocked out Franklin late in the fight, I can't see how anyone would feel he wasn't "it". I agree his fire was dim in the Swick fight, but you would think the UFC would give him the benefit of the doubt. Besides, ibid on my comment regarding the lack of depth in the MW division. Loiseau was top 5 at the time. It didn't make sense to me to let him go.

Yea I wasn't disagreeing that he was screwed, just thinking about the supposed why's. It didn't help that his next fight was also lackluster and he lost a decision. But you are right, none of this warrants his expulsion (especially after he basically co-headlined with the penn/hughes match against swick). I also think Arlovski should be in line for a title shot as originally promised, lackluster fight or not.
KissMyBallz
8/22/07 2:54:37PM
In all fairness, Vitor Belfort sorta brought it on himself. He pulled out of fight after fight. He pissed the UFC off by always managing to get injured prior to a major fight.

One of them was his scheduled fight on Sept 28th, 2001 vs Tito Ortiz who at the time was in his peak. THat wouldve been a good fight.

I think the most screwed fighter in The UFC?

Nick Diaz.

Kid gets no respect whatsoever.
Rush
8/22/07 3:00:54PM

Posted by KissMyBallz

That's because he's a bitch.
johny_rotten
8/23/07 12:41:38AM

Posted by Rush

Posted by KissMyBallz

That's because he's a bitch.

Bitch or not he is one of the most entertaining fighters in the history of the sport(It is so easy to throw the word "history" around when you talk about MMA since it isn't even 20 years old.) Look at his fights. There is classic after classic on his record.

Diaz/Lawler top 10 fights all time. I couldn't sit down for like 2 hours after that fight. Any hard core fan will tell you they have watched that fight 50+ times.

Diaz/Karro One of the best, if not the best, grappleing matches in the history of the game. Anyone who has taken BJJ, Judo, Sambo, etc...has to be huge fan of this match.

Diaz/Gomi Again another Diaz fight that people can't stop talking about. Countless people on this site have said it is their favorite fight ever. Not much more can be said about it.

Then his fights with Riggs and Sanches although not as epic as the other 3 were very good fights. There was a buzz about both well after the fight.

Bottom line love or hate Nick Diaz you know if he is on a card there will be at least one very exciting fight.
Jackelope
8/23/07 12:58:27AM
Nick Diaz is the man.

Lindland still got screwed worse, though haha
Rush
8/23/07 8:01:16AM

Posted by johny_rotten

Bitch or not he is one of the most entertaining fighters in the history of the sport(It is so easy to throw the word "history" around when you talk about MMA since it isn't even 20 years old.) Look at his fights. There is classic after classic on his record.

I was only poking fun considering what he says all the time (see silly smiley)

No argument about his fights being exciting. I still hate the guy, but love watching his fights.
nubby
8/23/07 5:06:22PM
I don't particularly like Diaz either. I can't really say he got screwed, he just kept losing.

Side note:
UFC agreed to sign him agian but he went with the gracie fighting promotion. That was his own choice.
optimusprime
8/23/07 5:26:45PM
I also think Nick Diaz. The guy always puts up a great fight. He was down against Gomi in the first minute and got beat up pretty bad but still managed to submit the #1 lightweight fighter in the world. Dana wouldnt even let Nick in the building when Nate was fighting Manny for the TUF contract. What was that all about? I think hes fighting 3 fights in EliteXC and hopefully things go well for him.
nubby
8/23/07 6:36:30PM

Posted by optimusprime

I also think Nick Diaz. The guy always puts up a great fight. He was down against Gomi in the first minute and got beat up pretty bad but still managed to submit the #1 lightweight fighter in the world. Dana wouldnt even let Nick in the building when Nate was fighting Manny for the TUF contract. What was that all about? I think hes fighting 3 fights in EliteXC and hopefully things go well for him.

What are you talking about, Nate even thanked the UFC for letting Nick in building, it was the Athletic Commission that wouldn't let him corner Nate. Get your facts straight.
KissMyBallz
8/23/07 6:44:44PM
I agree with all assessments on Diaz. The kid brings it, and since The UFC is so big on excitement with fighters? They should bring him back.

I'm not saying Nick is the most personable, marketable guy out there, but the fact is he's a fighter. He's never been totally dominated except you can argue by Jeremy Jackson, but that was a long time ago.

He put on a boxing clinic vs Gomi and of course we know his mastery on the ground.

The kid deserves more respect.
nubby
8/23/07 6:58:40PM
How has he been disrespected?
johny_rotten
8/23/07 7:13:50PM
Yeah Nick hasn't been disrespected by the UFC. His contract was up after he defeated Tibau. He then had a great oppurtunity fighting for Pride, and he took it. Since it wasn't an exclusive contract w/Pride he also signed with Elite XC. Nick was looking for a contract that was non exclusive, and the UFC doesn't offer that to anyone.

Back on subject...Does anyone know the story with Ricco? He only had one fight in the UFC after losing his belt, and he hasn't been back since. Was it the UFC not wanting him, or was it just Ricco getting so fat, and losing his motivation that caused this? I know when he apeared on the WFA card he looked as though he hasn't been training for year. I think he came in at 300.
Pages: 1 [2] 3