Is Scott Coker Trying To Save Gilbert Melendez From The Wrath Of Eddie Alvarez?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Is Scott Coker Trying To Save Gilbert Melendez From The Wrath Of Eddie Alvarez?
DCRage
10/22/10 10:34:51AM
Both Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney and Alvarez seem to think so. Says Rebney: "There aren’t promotional issues. There aren’t any barriers. There aren’t any hurdles... What television network is it going to be on? We’ll do it on Showtime. Where will the fight happen? Well, let’s do it in San Jose. The answers to the questions are very simple. There’s no reason that fight shouldn’t happen but for the fact that the promoter of Gilbert Melendez doesn’t want it to occur." As for Alvarez, "Scott Coker doesn’t want it to happen. He’s trying to obviously protect his champion. I guess he has every right to. He has a business to run. Whatever... I want to be number one in the world, and the only way to do that is to fight people like Gilbert [Melendez]. If we can get our hands on him and the contracts work out, then that’s what we’ll do. Until then, it’s just talk. The paper’s gotta be signed. Let’s make it happen."

Article
BlueSkiesBurn
10/22/10 10:39:52AM
I think that Alvarez would win this fight handily. I haven't seen anything out of Melendez that would lead me to believe that he could win.
gartface
10/22/10 1:11:39PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I think that Alvarez would win this fight handily. I haven't seen anything out of Melendez that would lead me to believe that he could win.

It would be an interesting fight for sure. After seeing Eddie dismantle Roger last night, my only concern would be his takedown defense. Roger, with a hurt leg, still managed to take him down once, and control him for a little bit. I think that Melendez could take him down for five rounds and wear on him.

I'd love to see it. I love seeing Cesar Gracie guys fight, just due to the possibility of them losing.
jay98107
10/22/10 1:24:04PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

It would be an interesting fight for sure. After seeing Eddie dismantle Roger last night, my only concern would be his takedown defense. Roger, with a hurt leg, still managed to take him down once, and control him for a little bit. I think that Melendez could take him down for five rounds and wear on him.

I'd love to see it. I love seeing Cesar Gracie guys fight, just due to the possibility of them losing.

Eddies got great TD defense when he works on it. I'd bet he would practice sprawling a lot more before fighting Melendez then he may have against Huerta
gartface
10/22/10 1:34:33PM
I certainly hope he would. I don't want to see Gil lay on him for five rounds.
Twenty20Dollars
10/22/10 1:56:51PM
Damn I really want to see this fight now, I think it would be a close fight, if I remember correct gilbert has a pretty good chin and eddie can get rocked but always gets back up.

It would be like Melendez/Thomson 2 only better like FOTY.
gartface
10/22/10 1:58:10PM
Coker would be smart to push this fight.
jae_1833
10/22/10 3:10:37PM
Let's all hope that this fight doesn't end up the SF LW version of Fedor vs Overeem....great match up that makes tons of sense (regardless of how Overeem vs Werdum ends up) but never comes to fruition.
gartface
10/22/10 3:16:09PM

Posted by jae_1833

Let's all hope that this fight doesn't end up the SF LW version of Fedor vs Overeem....great match up that makes tons of sense (regardless of how Overeem vs Werdum ends up) but never comes to fruition.

I'm hoping to see it happen, and if it doesn't, I'd be happy to see Alvarez head to the UFC.
jae_1833
10/22/10 4:53:44PM
Oh for sure! He is very ready for the step up in competition....I think he'd do real well, in fact I'd like to say his first fight would be awesome if it were against Clay Guida!!
CCPRIDE99
10/22/10 8:28:46PM
i disagree. i think gilbert would win this fight
prozacnation1978
10/23/10 12:15:05PM
i do think that winner of this fight would be best lightweight in the world
but i would pick alvarez could see it going 5 rounds
bjj1605
10/23/10 4:01:33PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

i do think that winner of this fight would be best lightweight in the world
but i would pick alvarez could see it going 5 rounds

Agreed. With BJ off his throne and Edgar still an unproven champion, this is a unique opportunity for these organizations. It would be the first time since Pride FC that another organization could claim (legitimately) to have the number one guy in the world (outside of Fedor.)
Pookie
10/23/10 9:59:59PM
It would be pretty funny if Alvarez beat Melendez, because then Aoki suddenly gets thrown back into the mix.

Aoki < Alvarez < Melendez < Aoki

If Gilbert wins then i can see the #1 claim being made, but for Alvarez i think he needs to beat aoki(Or Penn,Edgar) to say he's #1.

I do think that these are the top 5 Lw's in the world though.

Aoki
Alvarez
Melendez
Penn
Edgar

CCPRIDE99
10/24/10 1:33:51PM
gray is the best lightweight in the world