Scott Coker on Fedor vs. Overeem: ‘Let’s build that fight up’

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Scott Coker on Fedor vs. Overeem: ‘Let’s build that fight up’
emfleek
8/4/09 8:35:52AM
“FEDOR SIGNS WITH STRIKEFORCE”, screamed the headlines all over the Internet yesterday afternoon. After close to two weeks of frantic behind the scenes negotiations with every single one of the major power players in mixed martial arts, Strikeforce ultimately won the bidding war for the hottest free agent in the sport.

STORY
postman
8/4/09 9:08:43AM
Because your stable of HW allows you to brew that fight and grip our intrest anymore than it already is.
prozacnation1978
8/4/09 9:27:39AM
obvious fedor will fight for title first, no big suprise there
postman
8/4/09 9:47:35AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

obvious fedor will fight for title first, no big suprise there

No they are saying he won't
brooklynbadass
8/4/09 10:10:27AM
I am hoping for a flash KO from one of the tomato cans they are going to feed him!
bootyclause
8/4/09 10:27:26AM
its insane that there is a faction of mma fans who wanted UFC to lose out on Fedor. Now those people are getting what they asked for I guess. Totally irrelevant Fedor fights on a pay cable channel that many people dont bother getting.

Now you got Coker trying to say they have to "build up" a fight with Overeem?! If Fedor fought Overeem in Pride people would have said "why did they make that fight? Alistair isnt worthy". Strikeforce is saying "Fedor has to prove himself in our organization so he can eventually get a title fight against our amazing champion, AListair Overeem". This is crazy.

I hope they pick a no-name guy to fight Overeem and he beats AListairs arse so the whole thing blows up in their face.
postman
8/4/09 10:43:37AM

Posted by bootyclause

its insane that there is a faction of mma fans who wanted UFC to lose out on Fedor. Now those people are getting what they asked for I guess. Totally irrelevant Fedor fights on a pay cable channel that many people dont bother getting.

Now you got Coker trying to say they have to "build up" a fight with Overeem?! If Fedor fought Overeem in Pride people would have said "why did they make that fight? Alistair isnt worthy". Strikeforce is saying "Fedor has to prove himself in our organization so he can eventually get a title fight against our amazing champion, AListair Overeem". This is crazy.

I hope they pick a no-name guy to fight Overeem and he beats AListairs arse so the whole thing blows up in their face.

I don't know Showtime has really good shows like Weeds and Dexter they also have great boxing coverage and Inside the NFL I pay for it every month for the last 4 years.

I agree back 3 years ago when Pride was around Fedor v Overeem would have been a joke concidering one was at HW and the other was at LHW. But now Overeem is Huge and his Striking has looked good I mean he beat Badr. AA was beating Fedor on the feet...so you never know. I think Fedor will take this fight to the ground and win easily but to dismiss any hope of Fedor losing isn't fair to the sport.
xxdeadpoolxx
8/4/09 11:14:46AM
I always liked Overeem and would absolutley love to see him beat down Fedor. He has a chance if he comes in 100% best we've ever see him
SamPan
8/4/09 11:29:20AM
Fedor will KO him. Probably quick. I think Arlovski would beat Overeem and Fedor made short work of him.
postman
8/4/09 11:32:20AM

Posted by SamPan

Fedor will KO him. Probably quick. I think Arlovski would beat Overeem and Fedor made short work of him.

No way Overeem would put AA to sleep
george112
8/4/09 12:21:38PM
interesting fight that im actually looking forward to

overeem has improves vastly with his striking since pride imo.and cant wait to see how this one turns out.obviously im going to go with fedor on this one.because i see him as a more complete fighter.if fedor feels hes getting beaten on the feet hes gonna take it to the ground.and theres no way overeem can match him on the ground.
shevtheman
8/4/09 4:32:41PM
Overeem has improved a lot and is obviously at his wait now but he'll get canned by Fedor on the ground, hes really on a different level to Overeem there.
Aether
8/4/09 5:32:36PM
wow... Like everyone else I'm wondering how exactly they plan to "build this fight up". What are they going to re-sign Kimbo and have him fight Fedor? Who could they possibly use to build this fight up other than significantly less popular unknown fighters who will offer no drawing power.

I think they need to strike while the iron is hot and get Fedor fighting the biggest fights they can as soon as possible. Paying him a million dollars to kick the piss out of Brett Rodgers is not going to help make Fedor much more popular IMO, and interest will start to fade out like it did with Affliction 2 when they delayed it for a year.

They've run a good strategy building up their business slowly but I don't think a 3 fight contract and their current roster really give them the liberty of building this up slowly. The thing with Fedor seems to be the longer you "marinate" him the more money you lose.
EliasG
8/4/09 5:44:24PM
Here's the thing, when it comes to Fedor, he has an established group of fans and MMA hardcores that know about him. Then there are a few that kind of know about him but think he's a douche because he didn't sign with the UFC and that's the only MMA they watch. And then....there are the people who hardly know anything about MMA but like it when they occassionally catch a fight. They know a Lesnar or a GSP......maybe. But to them it's just a more wild form of boxing--all balls and brawls. These people don't know hardly anything about him at all.

MMA is funny in that the talent pool is pretty small over all and people are always looking for "superfights." I get it. But at the same time, if it was boxing, you would let a guy have a 'tune up' fight, especially when transitioning to a cage which is a different animal altogether.

I think he should fight on CBS not Showtime so that more people can see him. He doesn't have a big fanbase in the US and he needs to build one. He can't be the ONLY person that is hyped there but certainly he can be one component since they are a smaller organization and will continue to be for a while.

Fedor makes good money on the back end of this deal though by owning all foreign broadcasting rights---Europe and Asia go through M-1. That's a lot of marketing. Even if they got 100,000 buys throughout all Europe at 40 Euros that is still over 500,000 extra. My guess is they'll do a lot better than that (have you ever seen how expensive everything is in Moscow?) without having to pay any production costs or promotion costs.
MMAcca
8/4/09 11:57:49PM
telnights
8/5/09 1:20:20AM
I don't understand how Overeem is even considered a top 10. The guy was just a mid level LHW and he hasn't beat any top level HWs so not sure how he is ranked in the top 10.
mentalcase
8/5/09 1:40:47AM

Posted by telnights

I don't understand how Overeem is even considered a top 10. The guy was just a mid level LHW and he hasn't beat any top level HWs so not sure how he is ranked in the top 10.

totally not interested in fedor fighting a guy that was finished 5 times in 06, 07

but he beat Buentello, Hyun Lee, Hunt, Goodridge since then he must be top ten HW now

the only relevant fight is Brett Rogers similar record to Shane carwin 10 wins and destroying a top ten to cap it off