Re: Scoring system update poll, important!

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » Re: Scoring system update poll, important!
Next Page »
POLL: Should the new scoring system be applied to the existing events?
Yes 61% (135)
No 39% (85)
DoTheMMAth
4/12/07 8:56:21PM
As was mentioned earlier today, the point scoring system has been revamped based on user feedback. This new scoring system has been applied to all events up to date... which leads to the question:

Should the new scoring system be applied to all existing events in order to keep things uniform?

or

Should the old scoring system be left in place (restored) for the events that have taken place already, then apply the new scoring system and rules only to future events?
CWall33
4/12/07 9:26:47PM
Voted NO. See my comments in the thread mentioned above for my reasoning.
Tamara
4/12/07 9:34:31PM
MODS please pay attention to this poll and I thank you for considering this poll as an option to view what your member want.

This to me is an outstanding way of showing that you really want to hear the "voice" of your playground!

And just defining the word UNIFORM

1. identical or consistent, as from example to example, place to place, or moment to moment: uniform spelling; a uniform building code.

I believe consistent is the key word here. :) Love ya Mods!
blove4343
4/13/07 12:04:33AM
Change it after the 1st season not during the middle.
JunCTion
4/13/07 3:30:19PM
MODs. just change all the points & $ back to what it was and start the new rules with UFC 70. that is the fair, respectful & logical way to handle this situation. although not me, this retro thing you did really screwed a lot of people.

you also need to figure out how to get this poll to the majority. only 25 votes really doesnt do much.
can you pm the whole playground? not the whole story, just the link to the to the "Important! Game scoring update. thread. there are a lot of users that dont post very often that might not know whats going on.
scissors61
4/13/07 3:53:06PM
The new scoring system should be insituted after this season is over, not in the middle of it.
Zvonimir
4/13/07 5:47:13PM
Change the events which have taken place back to old system, institute new system from UFC 70 forward. And send out a mass PM for god's sake, I just stumbled upon this, and no one in my camp had any idea.
Gomiera
4/13/07 6:43:58PM
I voted Yes. The change is fine by me if the general consensus likes it.
disorderlyvision
4/13/07 8:31:17PM
i dont really care either way, i definatly like the new scoring system better though.
JunCTion
4/14/07 12:08:05AM

Posted by Zvonimir

Change the events which have taken place back to old system, institute new system from UFC 70 forward. And send out a mass PM for god's sake, I just stumbled upon this, and no one in my camp had any idea.

thats what i told them to do but no mod has commented on it. i hope their not avoiding it. this is major. i know its a free site and a free game but come on, be reasonable.
CWall33
4/14/07 6:29:59AM
Yes 19 48%
No 21 53%

Cannot believe this is so close right now. Wow.
CWall33
4/14/07 6:31:48AM

Posted by disorderlyvision

i dont really care either way, i definatly like the new scoring system better though.

Then I hope you didn't vote.

I like the new system too, but that isn't what the poll was asking about.
CWall33
4/14/07 6:33:40AM

Posted by Gomiera

If you were leaving it up to the general consensus, then you wouldn't have voted yes.
johnafirth
4/14/07 6:49:15AM
I say wait until season 2 before changing the scoring. Even though it's moved me up the rankings.
npayant
4/15/07 11:57:43AM
I think it is only fair to keep the old system in place for the events that have occured, and then use the new system on every event from here on out. I think there are more people that were effected negatively due to the change....rank was dropped, etc. I know some people like it because they moved up...but it seems more people don't like it.

Just my opinion.
Ultimate_fighter
4/15/07 6:08:29PM
YES!!!
berzeck
4/16/07 1:44:06AM
For those who voted NO : Please people, you have to understand that the site is in BETA state, meaning that features must be well tested before upgrading to version 1; that means that we must accept the radical change of rules in this phase until we accept a set of rules that we consider the final "untouchable" ones.

Most of you said that you like the new rules better, well... now is the time to test the new set of rules and not the next season, because if that's the case, the site will have to be in BETA stage who knows how much time.

Lets test NOW all the changes until next season PLEASE vote YES otherwise you will SLOW the process to "freeze" the new set of rules and we will have this problem for many seasons from now.

PD: Sorry my bad English
Gomiera
4/16/07 2:27:51AM

Posted by CWall33

Posted by Gomiera

If you were leaving it up to the general consensus, then you wouldn't have voted yes.

Uhh from the general consensus it seems pretty even. Just cause you dont like it does not mean the rest of the people feel the same.
JunCTion
4/16/07 2:45:27AM

Posted by Gomiera

Posted by CWall33

Posted by Gomiera

Uhh from the general consensus it seems pretty even. Just cause you dont like it does not mean the rest of the people feel the same.

if you read all the posts most nos dont have a problem with the rule change. its the retroing of the rule to events that have already happenned. the change helped me. but changing past points was not right.
berzeck
4/16/07 2:51:57AM
It is right because its a BETA set of rules, by definition those rules can and may change until we find the 'right' set of rules for us ...
the real goal in this season its not to measure who is the 'best' but to stablish a framework so in the future we can determine who is the 'best', so the changes must be retroactive in order we can measure their impact and their 'correctness'

PD: sorry my bad english
Tamara
4/16/07 1:46:48PM

Posted by berzeck

the real goal in this season its not to measure who is the 'best' but to stablish a framework so in the future we can determine who is the 'best', so the changes must be retroactive in order we can measure their impact and their 'correctness'

If the intention of the site is not to determine who is "best" then why is there a prize for the person with the most points at the end of the season as quoted below from the site in their introduction to their site?

"At the end of each MMAPlayground.com fight season the person with the most points will be announced and win a prize (this season's prize is $500*)."

Why is their a ranking system with season leaders and the wealthiest players? I see it simply because it is a competition to determine who is the "best".

D-Boy
4/16/07 2:19:09PM

Posted by Tamara

Posted by berzeck

If the intention of the site is not to determine who is "best" then why is there a prize for the person with the most points at the end of the season as quoted below from the site in their introduction to their site?

"At the end of each MMAPlayground.com fight season the person with the most points will be announced and win a prize (this season's prize is $500*)."

Why is their a ranking system with season leaders and the wealthiest players? I see it simply because it is a competition to determine who is the "best".

With the previous ruleset we wern't being shown the "best" as people who could have picked the fight worse than others could have a higher rank when they didn't deserve it.
berzeck
4/16/07 2:24:25PM
because this feature is also BETA, like any other feature its being tested.

the main goal of this page is to quantify the mma knowledge among users, to achieve this, the software must pass through a series of phases, including the BETA phase where features and the quantification algorithms are tested among users and changes are normal at this phase

many users said that the retroactive change isn't fair, and they are partially right, but technically speaking its senseless to maintain two different algorithms in a BETA state because any upgrade in the software must be revised twice ( once for each algorithm ) so the cost of upgrading increases for the developers

this is the reason of a beta stage in the first place... to have only one consistent and tested set of rules so when the page reaches "gold" ( aka version 1) we never go through this inevitable phase again

nellyhiphophead
4/16/07 3:03:37PM
ya like this is the 1st season ever and i think they ment for it to be for more getting ppl hear to the sight and working things out seeing how everything is working out and changing them and some far every change they have made has been great and have worked out great in the end.
titorican
4/16/07 11:59:30PM
Probably should have kept the results that were already over with and started the new system with the next 'season'.
Tamara
4/17/07 12:14:47AM
Ok, the yes votes are taking a commanding lead. So that leaves me to these questions -

Can cookies be cleared to vote twice or more?
Can we send (the mods of course) a mass email out to all members to inform them of the pole?

I am new to this so the questions are looking for real answers, because I am truly looking to be educated.
berzeck
4/17/07 12:59:15AM
I don't really think that it is a cookie thing, probably somewhere in the database is stored the votes per user per poll, so it's improbable that the users can manipulate this ( at least i would have implemented the feature that way )

peppermintfatty
4/17/07 2:05:58AM
I have to agree. We arent far from the finish of the first season, lets just keep the scoring lik it is for the remianing events, and then do a good job of publicising that they wuill be changed for season 2.
Dramacydal
4/17/07 3:46:11AM
I voted "No" but this is a invalid vote anyway.

More people are gonna have gained points that lost them. But it still doesn't change the fact that some people will have gained more points that others if you see what i mean.

I'm surprised the vote is as close as it is.

This vote should have been done BEFORE you implemented the changes.

Now people get to see what it does to their score and everyone elses around them.
Dramacydal
4/17/07 5:15:46AM
I agree.

Even a comprimise would be ok.

For example ... applying the new round/method of winning rules to existing results ... but keeping the previous Hot Bouts the same ..

I mean it seems ludicrous that I have LOST points for getting hot bouts spot on and then they get changed to normal bouts.

At least this way it is completely fair and no-one actually loses points. Keep the hot bouts from previous events the same .. and apply the new rules to existing events .. this would be "fair" in so much as it rewards people who got the most right results.

However, in principle I still disagree with changing the rules mid-season and altering previous scores ... very dubious.
Pages: [1] 2