Scientists developing "stay-sober pill"

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Scientists developing "stay-sober pill"
Kpro
10/3/11 11:44:25PM
Scientists are developing a "stay sober" pill which allows you to drink as much as you want while limiting the effects of alcohol on their brains.

In tests for the drug, mice given the drug did not even display signs of getting tipsy, despite being fed enough alcohol to make them stumble and fall over.
The research paves the way for a tablet that stops people embarrassing themelves on nights out.

It could help explain why some drinkers are "cheap dates" who start slurring their words and losing their inhibitions after one glass of wine, while others can knock back glass after glass with few ill effects.

The American and Australian scientists who carried out the research focused on the way alcohol affects glial cells, which make up 90 per cent of the brain.
They play a crucial role in the immune system, helping to fight infections such as meningitis. In the experiment, shutting off this immune response produced a remarkable effect – it stopped the mice who were given alcohol from getting drunk the British Journal of Pharmacology reported

LINK
Twenty20Dollars
10/3/11 11:57:58PM
Every mouse in the cage gettin tipsy.

But will it reduce the amount of times I have to piss from all that drinking?

I still wouldn't drink with that pill.
grappler0000
10/4/11 12:53:43AM
That's a pretty sweet deal. I can spend 5 bucks a drink all night long at the bar...yet have the affect of drinking free water.

On the bright side though, unwanted pregnancies should see a sharp decline.
Kpro
10/4/11 1:17:59AM
I wonder if you can speedball it with Rohypnol.
grappler0000
10/4/11 1:23:28AM

Posted by Kpro

I wonder if you can speedball it with Rohypnol.

It's funny you said that, because my first thought on this was that it's the anti-roofie. Ya know, for those times when you want to get a girl back to your place for some sensible conversation and a game of scrabble.
Twenty20Dollars
10/4/11 3:16:58AM
I wouldn't want to drink and be sober.
Kpro
10/4/11 3:26:08AM
So with this pill, drinking enough alcohol that would normally make you stumble, fall over, and slur your words; instead you wouldn't even feel tipsy.

Sounds like a recipe for increasing drunk driving to me.
tattflash
10/4/11 4:31:56AM
Something like this was tried years ago, the story goes that the Russian KGB developed a tablet so they could drink heavily with the western intelligent agents with out getting drunk. It did not work, however what it does do is stop you having a hangover. It is available to buy and does actually stop hangovers. The downside is you have to keep taken the tablets during the night (1 every 2 hrs ) thus making you look like a shady pill popper. It is called RU21,
Kpro
10/4/11 4:46:22AM

Posted by tattflash

Something like this was tried years ago, the story goes that the Russian KGB developed a tablet so they could drink heavily with the western intelligent agents with out getting drunk. It did not work, however what it does do is stop you having a hangover. It is available to buy and does actually stop hangovers. The downside is you have to keep taken the tablets during the night (1 every 2 hrs ) thus making you look like a shady pill popper. It is called RU21,

I used to use Chasers and RU21's years ago. They are strictly for hangover prevention via breaking down the alcohol toxins. You're correct that RU21's were developed by KGB. However, they don't limit the effects of alcohol while you drink at all in terms of motor functions, slurred speech, etc. They just will prevent your head from hurting as you drink and the next morning.

This article is regarding a pill that is not for hangover prevention. It is about a pill they are working on that shuts down the immune response of the glial cells in the brain (rather than breaking down the alcohol toxins as RU21's do) to actually make you feel sober while you are drinking in terms of motor functions, slurred speech, etc. These pills the article links to are not for hangover prevention like RU21's.

But if you take them both you can maintain your composure while bar-hopping AND skip the hangover

But the point of drinking is to not be sober so I don't see how this product could take off if they ever get to the stage of testing on humans.
tattflash
10/4/11 6:47:48AM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by tattflash

I used to use Chasers and RU21's years ago. They are strictly for hangover prevention via breaking down the alcohol toxins. You're correct that RU21's were developed by KGB. However, they don't limit the effects of alcohol while you drink at all in terms of motor functions, slurred speech, etc. They just will prevent your head from hurting as you drink and the next morning.

This article is regarding a pill that is not for hangover prevention. It is about a pill they are working on that shuts down the immune response of the glial cells in the brain (rather than breaking down the alcohol toxins as RU21's do) to actually make you feel sober while you are drinking in terms of motor functions, slurred speech, etc. These pills the article links to are not for hangover prevention like RU21's.

When they first invented RU21 the initial idea was to allow heavy drinking without getting drunk. In other words to allow the KGB to get info from their drunken counterparts, it was not originally for a hangover cure from what I believe but to stay sober whilst others were drunk. So in theory a similar but failed idea.
I too do not see the point of staying sober by taking a tablet after spending all that hard earned money on drinking alcohol and losing the benefits of making a prat of yourself by falling over and puking and dancing like a disco dad
cowcatcher
10/4/11 9:31:06AM
Fat girls everywhere are calling emergency meetings to get their countermeasures ready.
prophecy033
10/4/11 6:48:51PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Fat girls everywhere are calling emergency meetings to get their countermeasures ready.

like a hummer as you step out of your car before you see the skinny hotties... I could handle that I guess