I thought I would do a trivia test for everyone. I am a scientist so I am going to base mine on science. I am also a Star Wars fan so I am going to throw in a bonus at the end.
One difference though, I am going to let you do your research .i.e you can use the internet, books or whatever source you want/need
. I look at it this way. I figure you will learn more if you search for the answer rather than me just giving it to you. You might learn something else in the process.
One thing. I am going to make at least some of these questions tough to answer. i.e. somewhat wiki proof.Do not post answers. PM me the answers. Top 3 scores get props.
1) In general (one word), what causes BSE/CJD in bovine/humans?Prion
- prions are essentially protein aggregates that form a foam like substance. BSE (Bovine spongiform encephalopathy) and Creutzfedlt-Jacob disease (CJD) are diseases caused by prions in cows and humans respectively
2) What is the smallest known ribozyme? How big is it in nucleobases?The leadzyme which is abour 30 nt long
- I actually posted this information in the discussion section of the ribozyme page in wikipedia. The ribozyme page on wiki is severely incomplete and outdated (I know because I am doing my PhD on ribozymes)
3) In 1978 what drug was approved to treat cancer?Cisplatin
- a very common drug used to treat cancer. The way it works is kind of cool. Look it up in wiki if interested
4) What metal is heaviest? Titanium, Zinc, Nickel?Nickel
- This was a tricky question. I was curious to see how many people would pick titanium. Contrary to popular belief, titanium is not a heavy metal at all. It is the lightest of those three. Zinc may have a higher molecular weight, and I am happy that people looked at that, at molecular weight is grams per mole of atoms. I asked about the metal, not the atoms. Nickel has the highest density of the three.
5) If your kitchen taps have an aspirator attached to it, is water flowing in a laminar or turbulent manner?Turbulent
The key point is if there is an aspirator hooked up. If you googled laminar flow, you probably got a lot of hits about water taps. When an aspirator is hooked up to a tap the flow is undoubtedly turbulent.
6) Can a diesel engine run on vegetable oil?Yes it can
it is not an efficient fuel (called a biofuel) but it will work. One of the main problems with these types of biofuels is that the oils have high gel points (i.e. the viscosity of the oil gets high (like gel) at temperatures higher than gasoline or diesel.
7) If you dispense a solvent (like xylene) from a metal container. Why do you have to ground the container?Ground the container prevents static and static will ignite flammable solvents like Xylene
- When you have non-polar liquids (non-polar in general means something that does not mix well with water) they can build up a lot of static charge. If they are suspended in a barrel with no ground, and you open the tap, static can shoot out of the tap (trying to ground) and ignite the fumes
8) Are chicken pox and small pox both caused by pox viruses?no
- Contrary to popular belief, chicken pox is caused by a herpes virus, not a pox virus.
9) If you accidentally lit a beaker of ethanol on fire, what would be the best way to put the fire out?Cover the top of the beaker
- one of the main causes of fire in a biological lab is ethanol fires. If ethanol catches fire the last thing you want to do is disperse it by throwing it in the sink or spraying water or other chemical on it. Covering the top of the beaker eliminates the oxygen source and it simply burns out.
10) How long would it take me to clone E. coli
with a recombinant plasmid?about 5 min.
- the standard protocol for cloning E. coli with plasmid is: add the plasmid to a competent cell stock. Let it sit for about 2 min., heat shock at 42 deg Celsius for 45 sec or so and put back on ice for a couple mins before plating. It can probably be even shorter if you have to.
bonus - In the Star Wars vintage figure line which two character names did Kenner mix up? 4-Lom and Zuckuss
- Two bounty hunters from the Empire Strikes Back had their names switched by Kenner back around the late 70s or early 80s when the toys were released for the second film.