Science Test -Trivia - now with answers

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Science Test -Trivia - now with answers
Rush
11/13/07 11:37:17PM
I thought I would do a trivia test for everyone. I am a scientist so I am going to base mine on science. I am also a Star Wars fan so I am going to throw in a bonus at the end.

One difference though, I am going to let you do your research .i.e you can use the internet, books or whatever source you want/need. I look at it this way. I figure you will learn more if you search for the answer rather than me just giving it to you. You might learn something else in the process.

One thing. I am going to make at least some of these questions tough to answer. i.e. somewhat wiki proof.

Do not post answers. PM me the answers. Top 3 scores get props.

1) In general (one word), what causes BSE/CJD in bovine/humans?

Prion - prions are essentially protein aggregates that form a foam like substance. BSE (Bovine spongiform encephalopathy) and Creutzfedlt-Jacob disease (CJD) are diseases caused by prions in cows and humans respectively

2) What is the smallest known ribozyme? How big is it in nucleobases?

The leadzyme which is abour 30 nt long - I actually posted this information in the discussion section of the ribozyme page in wikipedia. The ribozyme page on wiki is severely incomplete and outdated (I know because I am doing my PhD on ribozymes)

3) In 1978 what drug was approved to treat cancer?

Cisplatin - a very common drug used to treat cancer. The way it works is kind of cool. Look it up in wiki if interested

4) What metal is heaviest? Titanium, Zinc, Nickel?

Nickel - This was a tricky question. I was curious to see how many people would pick titanium. Contrary to popular belief, titanium is not a heavy metal at all. It is the lightest of those three. Zinc may have a higher molecular weight, and I am happy that people looked at that, at molecular weight is grams per mole of atoms. I asked about the metal, not the atoms. Nickel has the highest density of the three.

5) If your kitchen taps have an aspirator attached to it, is water flowing in a laminar or turbulent manner?

Turbulent The key point is if there is an aspirator hooked up. If you googled laminar flow, you probably got a lot of hits about water taps. When an aspirator is hooked up to a tap the flow is undoubtedly turbulent.

6) Can a diesel engine run on vegetable oil?

Yes it can it is not an efficient fuel (called a biofuel) but it will work. One of the main problems with these types of biofuels is that the oils have high gel points (i.e. the viscosity of the oil gets high (like gel) at temperatures higher than gasoline or diesel.

7) If you dispense a solvent (like xylene) from a metal container. Why do you have to ground the container?

Ground the container prevents static and static will ignite flammable solvents like Xylene - When you have non-polar liquids (non-polar in general means something that does not mix well with water) they can build up a lot of static charge. If they are suspended in a barrel with no ground, and you open the tap, static can shoot out of the tap (trying to ground) and ignite the fumes

8) Are chicken pox and small pox both caused by pox viruses?

no - Contrary to popular belief, chicken pox is caused by a herpes virus, not a pox virus.

9) If you accidentally lit a beaker of ethanol on fire, what would be the best way to put the fire out?

Cover the top of the beaker - one of the main causes of fire in a biological lab is ethanol fires. If ethanol catches fire the last thing you want to do is disperse it by throwing it in the sink or spraying water or other chemical on it. Covering the top of the beaker eliminates the oxygen source and it simply burns out.

10) How long would it take me to clone E. coli with a recombinant plasmid?

about 5 min. - the standard protocol for cloning E. coli with plasmid is: add the plasmid to a competent cell stock. Let it sit for about 2 min., heat shock at 42 deg Celsius for 45 sec or so and put back on ice for a couple mins before plating. It can probably be even shorter if you have to.

bonus - In the Star Wars vintage figure line which two character names did Kenner mix up?

4-Lom and Zuckuss - Two bounty hunters from the Empire Strikes Back had their names switched by Kenner back around the late 70s or early 80s when the toys were released for the second film.
madmarck
11/14/07 7:48:08AM
i havent dont science from high school and even then i almost failed Chem in Gr10.
Wow i suck.
Rush
11/14/07 8:24:59AM

Posted by madmarck

i havent dont science from high school and even then i almost failed Chem in Gr10.
Wow i suck.

You can use the internet to answer these.
Rush
11/14/07 8:31:28AM
Scores

TNunley - 7/10

tuvok500 - 7/10 (after mutiple PMs )

roadking95th - 6.5/10

cowcatcher - 5.5/10

madmarck - 2/10

D0wnUnd6e6r - 1.5/10
tuvok500
11/14/07 10:27:37AM

Posted by Rush

Posted by madmarck

Wow i suck.

You can use the internet to answer these.

but i did not use the internet or anything else. i was thinking that it was only the wrong answer after the first try without help that we were allowed to use the net !!

anyways, my 4 is a real 4 !!

Rush
11/14/07 10:35:35AM
If you guys want to re-submit after doing some internet searching you're welcome to do so.
TNunley
11/14/07 11:56:31AM
Talk to me, Goose... What'd I score?
tuvok500
11/14/07 12:00:55PM
LOL !! cool i have 510 good answer on 11 possible !!!

it is now repaired !!
Mastodon2
11/14/07 12:53:46PM
Well I'm now doing a Forensic BIology degree at Northumbria University, and I certainly havnt got the balls to try my hand at these. I understand the keywords and topics, and could talk all day about Animal and marine Biology, or Forensic biology, but again, as with History, I'm poor at reciting facts!
cowcatcher
11/14/07 1:02:52PM
i sent mine in, i hope i pass so i dont have to go to summer school, although that mark harmon makes it look like fun.
Rush
11/14/07 1:42:16PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Well I'm now doing a Forensic BIology degree at Northumbria University, and I certainly havnt got the balls to try my hand at these. I understand the keywords and topics, and could talk all day about Animal and marine Biology, or Forensic biology, but again, as with History, I'm poor at reciting facts!

As I stated in the original post, you're welcome to research for the answers. My goal is to encourage people to learn and not just test them on the facts that they know.

Scores are updated. It is interesting to see some of the answers. Some have been answered as I predicted though.

I'll keep the questions up until tomorrow afternoon (ish), after my committee meeting. Then I'll post answers/explanations.

This was fun to make and the turn out is decent so far. I will definitely do another one soon.

Only one person has gotten the bonus so far.
roadking95th
11/14/07 3:12:33PM
Just sent my reply. I think I did ok, maybe 7/10 plus the bonus. I still don't have a clue what the hell I was reading most of the time. It was too much work, but needed work for my brain
Rush
11/15/07 3:44:20PM
Answers are uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuppppppppp!!!!

thanks to all those that participated. Props will be given out now or as soon as I spread the love.
madmarck
11/16/07 7:22:33AM

Posted by Rush

If you guys want to re-submit after doing some internet searching you're welcome to do so.

Research. Thats like study. Thats why i did bad at Chem in the first place!
Rush
11/16/07 9:44:58AM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by Rush

Research. Thats like study. Thats why i did bad at Chem in the first place!

Grasshopper. You will never be the UFC champion if you do not train.