Schoolgirl Nets 9ft 200lb Monsterfish

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Schoolgirl Nets 9ft 200lb Monsterfish
Kpro
7/17/09 3:41:42AM
Jessica was nearly dragged into the water when the catfish weighing nearly 200lbs took her bait.

The plucky youngster spent 20 minutes fighting the beast and needed a helping hand from dad Mark to heave it out of the water.

At nearly 9ft long and weighing 13.7 stones, the impressive specimen dwarfed 11-year-old Jessica, who stands at 4ft 10ins and weighs 5.7 stones.

She is now broken the record for the biggest freshwater fish caught by a child in Europe.

LINK

Were they seriously using a 200lb rated fishing line, and if so, do you use that type of line in case this happens?

This story would've never made the news on a fishing trip of mine because my line would've snapped.

Anyone else fish on here? Whats your biggest catch?
shevtheman
7/17/09 8:29:57AM
ha ha WTF!
emfleek
7/17/09 8:43:44AM
20 minutes??? That's it?!?

I've read stories about it taking HOURS to real in MUCH smaller fish. This is incredible. I didn't read the article, but I'm assuming it was relatively close to shore?
Rush
7/17/09 8:54:38AM

Posted by Kpro

Were they seriously using a 200lb rated fishing line, and if so, do you use that type of line in case this happens?

This story would've never made the news on a fishing trip of mine because my line would've snapped.

Anyone else fish on here? Whats your biggest catch?

Some people just use a heavy rod and reel so they can muscle the fish in without that worry of it snapping. Those people tend to be the less experienced and patient fishermen.

I used to fish when I was young. It was all freshwater/ice fishing so most of them were not that big. Reeled in mostly trout, pickerel, bass, etc.
telnights
7/17/09 10:25:19PM
I just have a hard time think she didn't have some help with this. I have caught a 67 pound cat and a 115 pound Alligator gar. Unless her rod was locked in to something there is no way she free handed the rod on a fish that big without help.
StorminYourman
7/18/09 1:51:47AM
that ting with some spicy breadcrumbs ,eggs and tarrtar looks scrumptous
Rush
7/18/09 1:08:37PM

Posted by telnights

I just have a hard time think she didn't have some help with this. I have caught a 67 pound cat and a 115 pound Alligator gar. Unless her rod was locked in to something there is no way she free handed the rod on a fish that big without help.

I thought the article said her dad helped.

Another possibility is that the fish was on the brink of dying and didn't put up much a fight.
HulkRage
7/18/09 1:56:04PM

Posted by telnights

Agree, but impressive cat non-the-less.
emfleek
7/18/09 7:14:21PM

Posted by StorminYourman

I wouldn't touch it if 20 naked Swedish bikini models were spread eagle on top of it. Catfish is f'ing disgusting.
DJDark41
7/19/09 9:04:52PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by StorminYourman

I wouldn't touch it if 20 naked Swedish bikini models were spread eagle on top of it. Catfish is f'ing disgusting.

That's a lot of naked Swedish bikini models...

I fished for years when I was younger, and I failed to catch anything bigger then my leg... That fish could swallow her whole.