UFC schedules broadcast against Strikeforce event

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC schedules broadcast against Strikeforce event
Wolfenstein
8/12/09 6:17:47AM
LAS VEGAS (AP) - The Ultimate Fighting Championship will re-broadcast several bouts from its landmark UFC 100 show on Spike TV on Saturday night.

link
mrsmiley
8/12/09 7:39:08AM
I wonder if they will edit out the whole thing about Brock drinking Coors light and jumping on top of his wife?

I guess everyone was already expecting counter programming to happen though.
If anything,I guess it shows how much weight the "F" word (Fedor) has in the world of MMA.
DCRage
8/12/09 7:43:02AM
As expected. UFC & SF are no longer on friendly terms so this isn't the last time.
ncordless
8/12/09 10:02:43AM
This doesn't make a ton sense to me. The only peole who watch SF are hardcores... and hardcores have already seen 100 so there is not much of a chance they will draw fans from SF.
wrona666
8/12/09 11:46:39AM

Posted by ncordless

This doesn't make a ton sense to me. The only peole who watch SF are hardcores... and hardcores have already seen 100 so there is not much of a chance they will draw fans from SF.

I was thinking the same thing, but you know Dana is still going to do whatever he can to try and stick it to SF..........
teamquestnorth
8/12/09 12:40:06PM
yeah the only promotion that strikeforce does is on the showtime network so unless u already have showtime chances are are youve never even heard of strikeforce.(if you're a casual fan)
DCRage
8/12/09 12:43:04PM
Well, watch Saturday and you'll get to see prelims that didn't air on PPV. Although I don't know if I'd want to sit through some of them...
bootyclause
8/12/09 1:18:51PM
They are going to show JOnes v Obrien, Bonnar v Coleman and Gugerty v Grice. So its definitely worth catching......gotta have a DVR running Saturday night for the two shows.
telnights
8/12/09 2:59:09PM

Posted by ncordless

But maybe they are hoping to get the few of the non hardcore people planing on watching. Its not like it costing them anything to run an event that has already happened and I bet Spike is more than happy to do so. I couldn't find anywhere that it shows which fights they plan on airing. They maybe showing un-aired under card fights and if that is the case I would like to see some of them myself.
Brain_Smasher
8/12/09 3:17:55PM
Agree. It dont cost the UFC anything. They actually get money from spike TV from ad revenue. While at the same time drawing would be MMA interested eyes to the UFC while Strike Force is trying everything in their power to get those eyes on them. SF is marketing the Carano vs Cyborg fight to draw in casual fans. It has got talk on ESPN. As long as the UFC uses it rep to steal that interest it will take a chunk out of any growth SF may have had.

I'm glad the UFC has decided to play hardball. I want the UFC to be the home of the top fighters. The sport needs a single entity that makes money on the sport. So therefore has reason to invest in the sports future. Strike Force has used everything in their power to hinder the UFC in their latest signing of Fedor. So its only fair the UFC uses what tactics they deem fair also.
moob
8/12/09 3:30:45PM
Dana again showing that he has the mind of a child.

No doubt in some quarters, this will be 'good business sense'.
Brain_Smasher
8/12/09 4:28:34PM
Your welcome to tell us how this is bad business. Everything the UFC and Dana White has done for the last 9 years has been the right move to build the UFC into the company they want and build the sport into a threat to other major sports. This was the UFC. Not anyone else. It was the UFC who broke down barriers in over half the country to get accepted. They payed the money to get this done. But in the time. Built the sport to the point of mainstream acceptance. Got the sport on TV. Yet all the fan boys want the UFC to roll over while someone else comes in and takes credit for all their work.

I followed the sport closely since th sbegining. I know what it was like to only have fights every 3-4 months. Rule changes every other event. The only people who talk bad about Dana and the UFC are noobs or people who dont realize what the UFC has occomplished.

99% of the decisions they have made have been the right ones. Yet every keyboard warrior wants to second guess them. Ussually because they nutrider a specfic fighter who isnt in the UFC. Thats Fan boy by definition.
AGEMO
8/12/09 7:54:05PM
Re-broadcasting Mir's laying around naping and Lesnar's whole round, scared stiff neck-crank is so yawn.

15th august Strikeforce = Gina, Babalu, Gegard, Werdum, Ishida, Melendez... Holy #$^%
What is "a casual audience"? If anyone prefer something bygone instead of this, then I rather call him not casual, not even uneducated, but bluntly retarded
scoozna
8/12/09 10:23:03PM

Posted by moob

How so? Can you explain this?
prozacnation1978
8/13/09 12:51:51PM
i went there live curious and can't wait to watch ufc 100 on tv but no way i not see strikeforce this weekend, i am actually looking forward to the girl fight!!!!!!!!!
moob
8/13/09 1:19:25PM

Posted by scoozna

Posted by moob

What part?

GrandMaster313
8/13/09 7:20:58PM

Posted by ncordless

I think it makes total sense. I meen if the strikeforce card fails then people can turn to the UFC 100 card and say "Hey this is much better". Besides the UFC has a network deal so i'm sure they would be glad and say "Show us your goods" against competition.

If Strikeforce rocks then..... good for them. Either way it is a win/win situation for the UFC.
Aether
8/13/09 8:53:06PM

Posted by moob

Posted by scoozna

Posted by moob

What part?

LOL it's only 2 sentences long. I think he wanted clarification on the whole thing, as do probably a lot of people.

You seem to be interpreting this as a maneuver done out of jealousy or something. He's taking viewers away from his #1 competitor by counter programming, the same way that competing stores will try to compete for customers by having sales or whatever.

As to the people saying that it's not a smart move because the hardcores have already seen the event, I think that's exactly why it IS a smart move, because the undercard fights are the kind of thing that only hardcore fans would be interested in, so I think they are well aware of the market they're targeting.
moob
8/14/09 7:39:18AM

Posted by Aether

Posted by moob

Posted by scoozna

Posted by moob

What part?

LOL it's only 2 sentences long. I think he wanted clarification on the whole thing, as do probably a lot of people.

You seem to be interpreting this as a maneuver done out of jealousy or something. He's taking viewers away from his #1 competitor by counter programming, the same way that competing stores will try to compete for customers by having sales or whatever.

As to the people saying that it's not a smart move because the hardcores have already seen the event, I think that's exactly why it IS a smart move, because the undercard fights are the kind of thing that only hardcore fans would be interested in, so I think they are well aware of the market they're targeting.

Dunno, you seem confused.

On one hand you claim that a lot of people are looking for clarification on what I meant, yet on the other, you reply as though you did understand it.

I've stated on many previous occasions, that I simply do not agree with the way the UFC, and in particular, Dana go about their business. It's bully-boy tactics from the #1 organisation in the sport. The reason I don't like this is because, on the whole, it's bad for MMA.