Schafer on par with Thiago Silva?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Schafer on par with Thiago Silva?
gartface
1/18/09 12:46:36PM
I don't think they are, just trying to catch your attention. They do have first round wins over the same common opponents in their last two fights.

I think that Ravishing Red is an improving talent, and I think that a fight between him and Thiago Silva would be in order after Thiago gets knocked out by Machida.

Gipper
1/18/09 12:57:52PM
you will learn to respect how good t.silva is after his fight with machida.
nickcuc547
1/18/09 1:28:38PM

Posted by Gipper

you will learn to respect how good t.silva is after his fight with machida.

i sure hope you're right, i want to see machida actually get into a fight where it's a test of will, i hope silva gives it to him.
Twenty20Dollars
1/18/09 2:41:00PM
Too bad Thiago is going to tko machida and then schafer wont get to thaigo.
Ordep
1/18/09 8:31:49PM

hahahaha, at least this time is not someone saying "Machida should get his title shot after beating Thiago"..... errrmmmm but still the same idea.

People trying to be wizards and see the future just make me more excited about this fight, to see Machida getting KOed

but still no +2 underdog bonus for Thiago
jiujitsufreak74
1/18/09 11:37:42PM
well Thiago Silva is extremely overrated imo (he has the same amount of wins over top 10 opponents as i do Superbowl rings...) and Schafer is fairly underrated so i can see a fight between them being exciting. Schafer would just have to weather the storm and get the fight to where he needs it to be in order to impose his will (top game). i would pick Thiago in this match up but it would be fun to watch regardless.
gartface
1/18/09 11:55:33PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

well Thiago Silva is extremely overrated imo (he has the same amount of wins over top 10 opponents as i do Superbowl rings...) and Schafer is fairly underrated so i can see a fight between them being exciting. Schafer would just have to weather the storm and get the fight to where he needs it to be in order to impose his will (top game). i would pick Thiago in this match up but it would be fun to watch regardless.

Thank you for understanding the point of the post. I would prop, but I have to spread the love bro.
prozacnation1978
1/19/09 8:49:25AM
thiago hasn't fought anyone tough yet
this is the first
i would like to see him rematch james irvin
Diamondback2
1/19/09 10:54:53PM

Posted by gspfan

Posted by Diamondback2
Antonio Mendes: Was making his UFC debut and had never fought ANYONE every remotly UFC-calibur legit (this was made Pre-UFC 93, but Mendes lost to Schafer to make things worse.)

Houston Alexander: . Houston has a glass jaw and got beat by Eric Schafer. Not legit

Tomasz Drwal: Watch that fight than look at Drwal's record. Drwal gave him fits and both fighters gassed bad by the first rd. I know Thiago will be in condition for this fight im not questioning that but truely terrible once u realize Drwal has only beat cans (actually they might be lower than cans).

On Mendes having never fought ANYONE ever remotly UFC-calibur legit: You yourself said in your post that you don't watch other orginizations, so how would you know or not weather any of his previous opponents have potential to be UFC caliber? I actually think Kirill Sidelnikov has a pretty bright future. One things for sure, the dude is no joke. Kirill was actually working Mendes before the cut stoppage, but it still goes to show that you may have put a lot of work into a post that you didn't put to much research in.

On Houston Alexander: Houston may not be a good fighter, but that has nothing to do with Eric. Just because someone gets beat by Eric Schafer, doesn't mean they're not legit.

On Drwal: Same as Mendes. Just because you don't watch other orginizations and don't know a fighters name doesn't mean he's a slouch, or horrible fighter that belongs nowhere near a ring or cage, and you could beat up from your keyboard. Drwal is a good fighter and was winning the fight with Silva up until he gassed. I think beating Drwal says something good about a fighter, and losing to him is nothing to be ashamed of. He may not ever be a title holder, but he'll make for some great match ups.

Mendes may have done good in Brazil but he has stumbled all over the place in the UFC. The only guy he did decent against was Silva, whom he almost KO'd with a kick. I could say some fighters from the MCL (Michigan Combat League) dominated the org and did very good there but that does not mean they would do good in the UFC. And Mendes beat Krill in Krill's second professional fight!

Houston Alexander is not a good fighter we both agree on that. But tell me one Top 10 fighter in a wieght class that Schafer has beaten.............................................................. TRICK! it does not excist.

Drawl: Drawl holds a total of 0 UFC belts, and has not fought any Top 10 comp. actually..

All Thiago's opponents hold a combined record of 0 UFC belts.

Machida's opponents hold a combined total of 13 UFC Belts.

I think Thiago is a good fighter to have in the UFC, he has some CRAZY GNP but i cannot see ANY area where he can beat Machida, he will be a good fighter to have around for the UFC to test newcomer's ability at 205 to survive GNP.

But Machida is SOOOO the wrong fighter to go against him.

Wolfenstein
1/19/09 11:12:02PM
It's tough to persuade anyone to believe that Thiago is a legit top 10 talent, until he beats a few top ten guys, and he'll probably lose his next fight and people will be up in arms that, "there you have it...not top ten."

Personally I don't believe that's the only way you can gauge a top ten fighter. Performance has to play some role as well--and Thiago is 13-0 with 12 finishes. While Drwal, Mendes, and Alexander aren't world beaters, they're not pushovers either, and Thiago finished them. I don't think there are many fighters that could take on that same list of 13 fighters and perform as well and come out unscathed.

It's not as if Thiago is avoiding top ten fighters either. He's schedueled to fight Lyoto and before that he was scheduled to fight Rashad Evans.

There's a big difference between Schafer and Thiago. Thiago is a well rounded fighter, and Schafer is one dimensional. Thiago has the better BJJ as well in my opinion, but he hasn't had the oppurtunity to display it in the UFC as of yet.

I like the matchup with Eric Schafer should Thiago lose, or possibly a bad blood matchup with Luiz Cane.

hippysmacker
1/19/09 11:38:18PM
To me Thiagio is like Kang. Until he beats a top 10 fighter, while they are ranked in the top 10, I will still be a tad skeptical.
gartface
1/20/09 11:17:37AM
This thread really went haywire and all over the place.
emfleek
1/20/09 11:21:41AM

Posted by gartface

This thread really went haywire and all over the place.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm lost...
telnights
1/20/09 3:01:29PM
Thiago is a good fighter but has yet to prove he is a top 10. I don't think he has anything Machida hasn't seen before. Machida is a bad match up for him and would have rather he taken on someone like Bonnar or Jardine. Its still a MMA match and anything can happen but I don't think Thiago has the skill set to beat Machida.
HumanTarget
1/20/09 5:32:03PM
LOL at these fools who I yet again have to set the record straight for. Silva is CLEARLY overrated and will lose badly to Machida. Thaigo has no gas tank and has sloppy striking. I don't see anyway that Thaigo can win this fight.
gartface
1/21/09 12:04:57PM

Posted by HumanTarget

LOL at these fools who I yet again have to set the record straight for. Silva is CLEARLY overrated and will lose badly to Machida. Thaigo has no gas tank and has sloppy striking. I don't see anyway that Thaigo can win this fight.

This thread is not about the Silva Machida fight...It's about Schafer and Silva. Good god...
cowcatcher
1/21/09 12:32:26PM
schafer has one thing working for him as far as development as a complete MMA fighter goes, and thats training at duke roufus's place. his ground game is there, he is legit and can beat anyone there, theress no arguing that, but hes working with one of the best kickboxers in america in duke roufus, and has guys like pat berry and alan belcher to train with. i think that since erics striking was so far behind the curve, he just has a lot more room to improve, whereas, although thiago is young, his striking and BJJ are probably getting much closer to topping off.