Why say WAR?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Why say WAR?
The_Metal_Maniac
12/5/08 9:42:26AM
Why when declaring favoritism in any manner towards a fighter do we feel the need to write WAR? Are we as a fan declaring war on a fighter? Does war in the context that we use it refer to some acronym that I'm unaware of? I think I've developed a petpeve towards this saying. I'm just curious because when I hope a particular fighter wins, I simply say I hope he wins. lol WAR!!!!!!
mentalcase
12/5/08 11:28:44AM
i think your reading to much into it, i only discovered this saying when i first went on mma forums and people say stuff like WAR SILVA

fighting is war so that's why people say war
DCRage
12/5/08 11:41:37AM
Because RAW IS WAR. Or it used to be anyway.
aaa9erh8er
12/5/08 12:51:08PM
my interpretation is like the ones above. your wishing your fighter good luck basicaly you like "hey buddy go out and fight a good war!" i dont know i do it i say it. i kinda like it shows support
Twenty20Dollars
12/5/08 1:00:12PM
WAR!

SeanSalmonisGod
12/5/08 1:46:21PM

Posted by DCRage

You sir are wrong......RAW..........IS...........JERICHO
The_Metal_Maniac
12/5/08 1:57:46PM
With the diversity of all these answers I am now satisfied knowing what war means lol.
ncordless
12/5/08 2:51:45PM
To the best of my knowledge, WAR is in the same catagory as PWNED, n00b, and things of that nature. They are just words made up by internet users.

I would be interested in hearing the etymology of the word WAR as used as an encouragment.
Pookie
12/6/08 5:05:33AM

Posted by SeanSalmonisGod

Posted by DCRage

You sir are wrong......RAW..........IS..........

The Rock DOESNT GIVE A DAMN what Raw is! You Rudypoo candyass...
hippysmacker
12/6/08 6:24:46AM

Posted by The_Metal_Maniac

Why when declaring favoritism in any manner towards a fighter do we feel the need to write WAR? Are we as a fan declaring war on a fighter? Does war in the context that we use it refer to some acronym that I'm unaware of? I think I've developed a petpeve towards this saying. I'm just curious because when I hope a particular fighter wins, I simply say I hope he wins. lol WAR!!!!!!

Actually it got its start at Auburn University. It is their football teams battle cry. They are called the war eagles. People all around town say war eagle as a greeting and goodbye like" Aloha" Jim Rome visited there and found it entertaining. So he started saying " War Eagle " as a joke all the time on the radio . Then it became " war" just about anything. Fans started calling/faxing in saying the same . Like " War The Phillies" when they were in the world series. Or My personal favorite was when Alabamas brand new football coach Mike Price got busted with some strippers( hookers?) the day he got the job. That day things like" war throwing away your dream job for a couple of skanks": or " war pissing away 10 million becuase I got too freaky the day before I signed my guaranteed contract" and similar sentiments.
DCRage
12/6/08 7:39:01AM
Beat me to it...I had been meaning to suggest that it started with "War Eagle" but never got around to it.
big_timmy
12/6/08 6:17:08PM
I believe its actually become law that after you WAR anything, that one thing must be present....

WAR EVERYTHING
jiujitsufreak74
12/6/08 6:25:18PM
i made a thread about this a while back. the answers were scattered but i think we got it down to a source, although it is sketchy.
LINK to thread

here is the best answer (given by Rush who said hippysmacker wrote this):

This is probably gonna bum you out, but it actually stems from the Auburn Tigers college fans rally cry. It was made a part of pop culture by Jim Rome on his radio show. Having observed this phenomenon while it was happening it always makes me smile when someone throws out " war" anything . Rome was in Alabama for the Auburn/Alabama game and he noticed everyone said " war eagle " right after goodbye or have a nice day. He said they said it in such a normal tone of voice that he realized it was a part of daily life for everyone. He told the story on the air, and fans started saying war" the cowboys" or chicks with big cans" ,or whatever they supported at the end of their calls and e-mails . 6 months later a guy at my work , who I know doesn't follow sports at all, threw out " war Milanos" when my boss said he was buying us free lunch from there. I knew it had spread ,and I had witnessed this with a lot of other pop culture phenomenons . Since Auburns team is the " Tigers' and Alabama are the " crimson tide" I was curious where war eagle came from . Heres a updated link to anyone who is curious what the phrase that started it all means. Svartom, as you are a fan of military history , I am sure you will appreciate this. For those of you who just want the short version.

War Eagle = The 2 words that a WW 2 Alabama American Army Captain most thought described " Pure American Glory" and he carved them on the Great Sphinx of Giza Egypt right before his troops went to a battle against the Nazis. A lot of fans say it's stands for " ever to conquer, never to yield"
LINK
bls1919
12/6/08 8:33:24PM
Dude the Rock emoiticon is awesome. I think i over use it, but it's like overuseing the "thats what she said" joke. It really is never over used......woah thats what she said.