can you say awkward.?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » can you say awkward.?
shackle
2/9/07 10:14:35PM
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/rumors.asp?articleid=2568&zoneid=14

Joe Lauzon maybe learning from Jens Pulver.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather not learn from someone I just beat.

This will be so awkward if lauzon end up on Pulver's team.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/9/07 10:58:53PM
TUF will make Joe Lauzon a much better fighter...cant wait till April 5th..

TUF is like crack man....kick ass show,but in the same time sucks having to wait 7 days=168 hours=10,080 mins=604,800 seconds...to watch the next show..

but i'll still be there at 9pm like this
hippysmacker
2/9/07 11:04:24PM
Obvious ploy to create tension on the show. That being said, it should be entertaining.
Svartorm
2/10/07 12:15:21AM
Theres the drama factor, but honestly just because you beat someone in a fight doesn't mean you know more than them. Pat Militich, for instance would get rolled by a good chunk of the guys he trains. Jens has a ton of experience and the folks on his team would do well to listen to him.
strikefirstgear
2/10/07 1:50:00AM
As I recall Jens was Joe Lauzons hero prior to the fight. He had a great game plan and it worked flawlessly. He is the first to say that he was lucky. Taking nothing away from the great win.

That being said I agree with Hippy. I predict this will consume 2.5 episodes worth of story line including the intial team selection and whenever Joe Lauzon is due to fight.
Ydoc
2/10/07 2:43:50AM
It'd be so much more awesome if Penn picks him for his team, takes him off to the side and asks him how to beat Pulver.
loller90278
2/10/07 2:46:19AM

Posted by Ydoc

It'd be so much more awesome if Penn picks him for his team, takes him off to the side and asks him how to beat Pulver.

i dont think penn needs any help on how to beat pulver

pulver never really imprssed me
hippysmacker
2/10/07 2:53:21AM

Posted by loller90278

Posted by Ydoc

i dont think penn needs any help on how to beat pulver

pulver never really imprssed me

You should try to find a video of their 5 round war. I think you might be impresseda little. he hasn't looked as good since he got beat by Gomi though.
Svartorm
2/10/07 2:57:44AM
I've always liked Pulver. A very good all-around fighter.
OchoCinco
2/10/07 8:06:13AM
Why should Lauzon have to go on TUF? I think he proved himself. I know if he wins he gets a guaranteed contract, but still come on. I think this is kind of dumb. Give him another fight.
nate22
2/10/07 8:08:00AM
The UFC have no shame putting a fighter on TUF who just beat the coach...
shackle
2/10/07 8:39:41AM
Yea I like Pulver too, but UFC is going to have a hard to explaining this to alot of fans lol.

I have to agree winning only a contract after beating one of the couches is silly.

I guess we will see, but sounds to me like Lauzon is getting screwed after winning a huge upset.
shackle
2/10/07 8:42:21AM
Yeah good point I guess.

Posted by Svartorm

Theres the drama factor, but honestly just because you beat someone in a fight doesn't mean you know more than them. Pat Militich, for instance would get rolled by a good chunk of the guys he trains. Jens has a ton of experience and the folks on his team would do well to listen to him.

nate22
2/10/07 8:45:59AM

Posted by shackle

Yea I like Pulver too, but UFC is going to have a hard to explaining this to alot of fans lol.

I have to agree winning only a contract after beating one of the couches is silly.

I guess we will see, but sounds to me like Lauzon is getting screwed after winning a huge upset.

Tell me about it, he beats Pulver, had already put in a few impressive wins and performances in his previous fights, now he has to fight two/three times just to get a contract? Talk about being screwed, what does that say to what would of happened to him if he would of lost against Pulver as expected?
shawneth
2/10/07 12:07:56PM

Posted by nate22

Posted by shackle

Tell me about it, he beats Pulver, had already put in a few impressive wins and performances in his previous fights, now he has to fight two/three times just to get a contract? Talk about being screwed, what does that say to what would of happened to him if he would of lost against Pulver as expected?

I think he wants to put himself on the map. He probably believes that he can smash every competitor on TUF 5 (not to make him sound cocky) and then have the recognition of the TUF 5 champion. You would think beating the former LW champ would be enough recognition though.
Unkoman
2/10/07 2:08:22PM
A lot of these fighters on the show are great fighters already. The UFC wants these fighters names popular, cause the casual fan doesn't give a f@#K about lightweights.

I think it is a smart move for Lauson cause on the show he can tell everyone he beat jens already- good way to promote your lightweights and to hype a rematch.
shackle
2/10/07 2:23:25PM
If it was me I'd be pissed Pulver may get a title shot now.

And all Lauzon is gonna get is a contract?...

If anything it should be Lauzon vs penn (or a top lightweight) for the #1 contender Until Pulver gets back on track.

Anyways ... it will be a interesting TUF season I guess. ( make up for the last one I hope lol)

Posted by Unkoman

A lot of these fighters on the show are great fighters already. The UFC wants these fighters names popular, cause the casual fan doesn't give a f@#K about lightweights.

I think it is a smart move for Lauson cause on the show he can tell everyone he beat jens already- good way to promote your lightweights and to hype a rematch.

shackle
2/10/07 2:28:46PM
I know Penn nutt huggers are gonna be after me for this.. but oh well lol...

I Also think it's pretty funny that penn will be training people when he gasses out in all of his latest fights. He is lazy, and if he doesn't change it will ruin is career. I really don't understand the penn nutthuggers I'd hate him for not training cause he would be one of the best if he did.
cowcatcher
2/10/07 2:34:31PM

Posted by Svartorm

never speak ill of miletich, j/k you're absolutely right on that, not much for me too add
ButterBalls
2/10/07 3:11:32PM
Joe already has a contract with UFC, he signed a 3 fight deal the first time.

No, I don't have a source, I just know a guy who trains with him. He told me about it before Joe was even announced to fight Pulver.
shackle
2/10/07 7:44:19PM
Yea I'm sure the TUF contract pays more though.

Posted by butterballs

No, I don't have a source, I just know a guy who trains with him. He told me about it before Joe was even announced to fight Pulver.

madmarck
2/10/07 7:53:19PM
Yeah i read that too and thought WTF? Why would they put a guy on TUF who just KO'd the former LW champ of the UFC? It is weird. I can see Jens wanting a rematch down the road. Doesn't this make Joe one of the better strikers on the show? Is this even a good idea for theUFC to do. I mean they probably want the fans to get to know him but this is a first for TUF. I thought that the half of the guys they brought on the show that had been in the UFC would be along the lines of what they were b4. Guys who had losing streaks or that just had some really bad breaks.

My only guess is that they want Joe Lauzon to be the next big thing in the UFC LW division. I guess it will work if they start building a fan base for him now.
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/11/07 3:27:01AM
A little story on Jens Pulver,

Friends of mine were at a show in Montreal a couple of years ago. (TKO) Jens Pulver was there and my friend and a few others went up to talk to him and nutthugg etc. Jens picked a fight with them for no apparent reason other than the fact they went up to say "hey we're big fans, goodluck in the future"

Long story short Jens seems like an asshole and I was laughing my ass off when he got KO'ed by a can
shackle
2/11/07 7:50:54AM
I don't beleave this do you have any proof?... You just trying to give him a bad name.

Also a can.... thats yet to be proven. He maybe a contenter you never know.

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Friends of mine were at a show in Montreal a couple of years ago. (TKO) Jens Pulver was there and my friend and a few others went up to talk to him and nutthugg etc. Jens picked a fight with them for no apparent reason other than the fact they went up to say "hey we're big fans, goodluck in the future"

Long story short Jens seems like an asshole and I was laughing my ass off when he got KO'ed by a can

cowcatcher
2/11/07 12:52:13PM
he is a can, that's what he was there to be for pulver's return
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/11/07 1:38:27PM

Posted by shackle

I don't beleave this do you have any proof?... You just trying to give him a bad name.

Also a can.... thats yet to be proven. He maybe a contenter you never know.

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Im not trying to bad mouth any fighters, I don't have any pictures because I wasnt there. Believe it or not but check my other posts, this is the first time I've ever said anything like this.
BabbyHughes
2/11/07 2:09:54PM

Posted by shackle

Yea I'm sure the TUF contract pays more though.

Posted by butterballs

Yeah, that and TUF is like the fastrack to getting known in the UFC. I would like to see a rematch between Pulver and Lauzon, I know Jens hasn't seemed as good as he was before, but I still think he would be Lauzon 8/10 times.
ButterBalls
2/11/07 5:47:55PM
We'll see. I wish his brother had done better, he was supposed to be the more promising of the two.