Say it ain't so Joe

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Say it ain't so Joe
Kazmierz21
1/31/07 8:01:13PM
New York Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/01-28-2007/sports/col/story/492503p-414844c.html):
"HBO's 'Ultimate' dilemma

Talks are heating up between HBO Sports execs and representatives of Ultimate Fighting Championship that could soon end in a deal bringing the caged warriors to the pay-cable network.

If a contract gets done there are all kinds of ramifications. HBO does serious sports journalism with shows such as 'Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel' and Bob Costas' 'Costas Now.' Where would the controversial UFC fit in? Yes, boxing, HBO's marquee sports franchise, ain't exactly without its share of whacked actors, but compared to UFC it is a mainstream sport.

Also, how would HBO handle the production? Considering its history, both HBO Sports boss Ross Greenburg and executive producer Rick Bernstein would probably seek new and independent voices with no ties to UFC.

Would they do some crossover with their boxing yackers? Word is both Lennox Lewis and MeMax Kellerman, who work on HBO's 'Boxing After Dark' series, are UFC aficionados."

This wouldn't be be very good. Mike Goldberg is the voice of the UFC; he's been around since 1997. Joe Rogan adds a bit of credibility to the show and his training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu allows him to provide very good fight analysis. Randy Couture as a third man recently has also added since he's a veteran of many MMA fights and provides good insight into fighters' strategies and mindset. If the HBO wants to keep some sort of HBO influence on the show, I could understand bumping either Rogan or Couture and replacing him with Max Kellerman, who is a very big MMA fan (he got ESPN to show the weigh-ins for Ken Shamrock and Tito Ortiz' first fight at UFC 40 back in 2002).

Joe Rogan is one of my favorite parts of the UFC - he used to be a lot better (with his crazy nicknames and overexaggerations of fighters) - but he's still got a lot of good moments left in him - Joe not broadcasting the UFC would be like when Frank Trigg took over for Bas at Pride - what a flippin downgrade - if there is any merit to this story I will start a petition to the UFC/HBO to keep Joe Rogan on the air!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Joe Rogan line: "This guy has balls like steel grapefuits" - hahaha
hippysmacker
1/31/07 8:04:39PM
I like Kellerman personally, but I agree Rogan is an integral part of the UFC.
nate22
1/31/07 8:06:53PM
Alot of Joe banter recently, I hope he stays put.
Stickan
1/31/07 8:13:36PM
Yea Joe has gotten a lot of crap during the years but he's great.

Sick humour and a worthless stand-up comedian but one heck of a UFC commentator.
OchoCinco
1/31/07 8:14:01PM
The only person I would want to see replace Joe if it were to happen would be Bas.
pv3Hpv3p
1/31/07 8:28:44PM

Posted by OchoCinco

The only person I would want to see replace Joe if it were to happen would be Bas.

I'll second that... Bas is the best in the business
ElGuApO91
1/31/07 8:31:04PM
he better not leave the ufc it would be stupid
loller90278
1/31/07 9:59:36PM
i'd actually prefer kellerman of goldbloom or goldberg w/e his name is
Stickan
1/31/07 10:10:32PM
I like Goldbergs enthusiasm.
I guess he's just really good at what he does because it sounds like he really tries to pick up and learn as much as he can during every fight.

Then he comes and fucks everything up with some commercial comment but that's not his fault.
Reignofterror
1/31/07 10:12:10PM
Im failing to understand where the hell in that article it says anything about Joe Rogan leaving.
slammadowg
2/1/07 12:09:50AM
Goldberg pisses me off but i really enjoy Rogans commentating. People who say he knows nothing about MMA obviously dont listen to him when he speaks. He practically calls every move before it happens.
roadking95th
2/1/07 12:42:03AM
I guess my Directv bill is going to go up since I don't have HBO currently. HBO has to have someone other than Lewis or Kellerman, I mean, come on, can they really explain what the hell is really going on and what may come. Just being an enthuisist doesn't mean you know the intriquisies. All in all though, more exposure is good for the sport.

I too do enjoy Rogan. He is always good for an off the wall, not so appropriate for a traditional broadcaster, comment.

sorry about the spelling, too much beer/laziness to look them up.
Rampage_Soldier
2/2/07 1:43:13AM

Posted by Reignofterror

Im failing to understand where the hell in that article it says anything about Joe Rogan leaving.

I believe this is the OP's reasoning:

Posted by Kazmierz21
Also, how would HBO handle the production? Considering its history, both HBO Sports boss Ross Greenburg and executive producer Rick Bernstein would probably seek new and independent voices with no ties to UFC.

DoTheMMAth
2/2/07 1:49:59AM
I've made the personal migration from thinking Joe is just the schmuck from News Radio trying to make a dime while commentating, to my current status of being a confessed Joe nut-hugger. I'd would really hate to see Joe go... hell, I even thought of adding an option to the site where people could score points for correctly guessing the number of times Joe says "he got rocked!" during one PPV event. (Ok, not really, but I do like Joe.)

I did gain a bit more respect for Goldie after he turned down the offer on the "pro" wrestling deal to stay with the UFC.

No complaints about Bas or Randy either, I like the both of them and get a kick out of the Rutten accent lol
the-james
2/2/07 3:41:33PM
I think it would be randy they would replace because hes fighting again now and probably wwont be commenting again until he retires again
cowcatcher
2/2/07 4:10:51PM
Rogan and Goldberg are both contracted by the UFC, so Dana and the Bros. F will make the final call on anything. HBO is not going to jump headfirst into a major partnership where they showcase their own brand of UFC a la WWE with Raw and Smackdown because MMA is still considered an "outsider" sport. Now once they see the ratings and realize that UFC could be a major cash cow that could change, but until then i wouldn't worry about it until several shows air on HBO.
Kazmierz21
2/3/07 1:46:04PM
Speaking of Bas - anyone ever seen the Bas Ruten's Lethal Street Fighting - hahahahhahah - shit is pure comedy