Say their was a 3rd BJ Penn and Mat Hughes fight

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Say their was a 3rd BJ Penn and Mat Hughes fight
POLL: Baby Jay verse Matt
Matt Hughes 7% (4)
Bj Penn 93% (51)
Dooletchetoreh
8/18/08 7:28:51PM
Whose winning. I think BJ has always been way above Matt Hughes level. He easily beat him the first time, and was beating him again the second time, a broken rib and lack of conditioning had more to do with that loss than Hughes ability. So if they step in again, your pick is leaning
ziegler3334
8/18/08 7:31:05PM
I don't know if this question really needs asked. BJ would demolish Hughes right now. He's about done it looks. As much as i don't like Serra, I hope he can send Hughes on his way.
Mayhem13
8/18/08 7:33:29PM
I think Baby Jay would Knock him out in the first.
Diamondback2
8/18/08 7:41:29PM
I love Hughes and BJ both but this isn't even close. BJ would walk through him, Hughes couldn't take BJ down till he gassed in thier second fight and that would not have changed. And BJ's boxing is unreal l8ly, he would pick Hughes apart on the feet.

If i had to set the odds i would set it at +500 or so for Hughes. And unless the line was +700-800 i would not bet on Hughes.
Jason-plata
8/18/08 7:41:40PM
BJ has his and just about everyone elses number... I dont like Hughes, but I dislike Serra more... I hope Serra gets handled..
Twenty20Dollars
8/18/08 8:01:03PM
like this isnt even fair to be honest, hughes would just get dominated head to toe by bj.

hughes fights serra and is done.
chitown97
8/18/08 8:08:32PM
There is not one area that Matt has the edge anymore. The refreshed BJ Penn we see now would demolish Hughes and definitely enjoy doing it.
Dooletchetoreh
8/18/08 8:42:32PM
Oh my God. 19-0. Thank God. I am impressed by your performance, in frenchy accent. Yall fellow playgrounders are a smart lot.
Franklinfan47
8/18/08 9:26:25PM
No brainer. I think most people realize that Hughes is finished at the top level (except for maybe matt hughes :S)
Dooletchetoreh
8/18/08 9:32:46PM
Aw man he ruined the no hitter. Can the person who voted for Hughes step up and explain.
seanfu
8/18/08 10:35:05PM
Hughes is mentally finished. He's a guy who is either a champ or a nobody. He's just that kind of person.

He's mentally finished. I think even an aged Hughes should've handed Thiago his ass. At this point simply no. If there was the WW title up for grabs I think we would see another great performance out of him.
Dooletchetoreh
8/18/08 11:44:53PM
Matt has is not the greatest welterweight ever. Even in his heyday. Who did he beat? He was lucky to compete in MMA at time where the level was not even close to what it is today. Joe Riggs, aged Royce Gracie, Carlos Newton etc...I say he is a hall of famer, cause compartively in his era he had a great run. But I consider his best win that against Frank Trigg. If that's your best win are you really best ever. Even the first GSP fight, he was getting his butt kicked and get a armbar on expierience at the end of the round. If that fight goes to round 2 GSP's title reign would have started right there. BJ Penn came in out of shape and broke a rib. BJ outclassed him the first time and was beating his butt the second time. These are facts not opinions. He got subbed by Denis Hallman in less than a minute. So what happens in the rematch he gets subbed again in under a minute. That shows no ability to adjust your game. And right after that he got KTFO by Jose Landi Johns. Do these not count cause they are not in the ufc? I think they count big time. A fight is a fight. I think he's even disenchanting the fans he has left but his recent remarks. Their is all this talk of fighter bashing on this site. Well if you look at it honestly the real fighter basher is Matt Hughes. He has shown time and again a lot of respect to his peers. And now this latest thing in his blog about GSP. The guy is showing his true self and people are seeing him for what he is.
Diamondback2
8/19/08 12:18:37AM
You are quick to point out all seven losses but are not quick to point out all 43 wins.

Say what you want about the Royce fight. He dominated a 5th degree Black Belt on the ground!!!! Sakuraba could not totally finish Gracie in one and a half hr when they were both in thier prime's. And let's face it, Hughes was pretty much past his prime as well.

Beat Trigg twice and the second was one of the most amazing comeback's ever. He came back after being kicked square in the nuts and came back and destroyed Trigg.

Beat GSP with one of the most amazing armbar's i have ever seen. not hazlett or phallres level, but high level black belt quality.

That's just 3 of 43........

Was going to go more in depth but work in the morn!

But you get the point, 43-7 is crazy. That's a 86% Winning Percentage in 50 career fights.
Wolfenstein
8/19/08 12:46:24AM

Posted by Dooletchetoreh

Matt has is not the greatest welterweight ever. Even in his heyday. Who did he beat? He was lucky to compete in MMA at time where the level was not even close to what it is today.

He beat Sean Sherk (which seems to be BJ's biggest win). He's also beaten GSP, BJ, Frank Trigg and Hyato Sakurai.

You're making excuses for the guys Hughes has beaten, and hailing the performances of fighters that lost. The would-have-could-have-should-have is irellevant in the face of results.

He may not be the greatest of all time, but he's one of them.

I can't believe I'm defending Matt Hughes.

Korsakov
8/19/08 2:02:56AM
who's the one guy who voted for hughes?
Aaronno9
8/19/08 1:32:02PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

Posted by Dooletchetoreh

Matt has is not the greatest welterweight ever. Even in his heyday. Who did he beat? He was lucky to compete in MMA at time where the level was not even close to what it is today.

He beat Sean Sherk (which seems to be BJ's biggest win). He's also beaten GSP, BJ, Frank Trigg and Hyato Sakurai.

Id say beating Matt Hughes was a bigger win than sherk. Gomi to, just becouse of how dominant it was.

Really though, this shouldnt even be a question anymore. Matts finished. Its unfortunate, but nobody can preform forever. I just hope get gets his win against Serra so he can retire on a W.
MaxOne
8/20/08 5:12:40PM
i've never been a huge hughes fan but he totally deserves his props as one of the best ever or as they say the most dominant. He did dominate for a long time. BJ has always been a better fighter but hughes was certainly more dedicated in general.