Saw a video of Wanderlei Silva

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Saw a video of Wanderlei Silva
POLL: 195 division for ufc?
yes 24% (9)
no 65% (24)
sometimes 11% (4)
PunishmentFan
3/20/09 10:07:11AM
I must ask this question what you guys think of his idea of a 195 division he really wants it. He said he talked to dana about it and he seems to think it be good what are your thoughts for a 195 divison
higdon10
3/20/09 4:44:04PM
Wont happen.
Boo_Radley21
3/20/09 4:48:02PM
I think a 195 division is dumb. Do they really need a 185, 195, and 205?

What about all the other divisions that have 15 lbs difference? I'm against a 195 because it will thin out the LHW and MW divisions IMO because there will be a new weight class to compete in. If they're gonna make a new weight class it should be somewhere between 205 and 265 because that is the biggest gap.
Boo_Radley21
3/20/09 4:50:09PM
EDIT: accidentally posted that twice my bad.
Pookie
3/20/09 4:51:43PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

What about all the other divisions that have 15 lbs difference? I'm against a 195 because it will thin out the LHW and MW divisions IMO because there will be a new weight class to compete in. If they're gonna make a new weight class it should be somewhere between 205 and 265 because that is the biggest gap.

I agree with the premise, however then that would split the somewhat weak HW roster in half essentially.
king_katool
3/20/09 7:08:09PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Boo_Radley21

I agree with the premise, however then that would split the somewhat weak HW roster in half essentially.

altho it would weaken the HW div considerably but IMO it need to be done, id be thrilled if the UFC came out with a 220-230 div, the size difference in HW is too much i think, lesnar and carwin cut to make 265 i heard, and im sure bobby lashley is pushing the limit, i have no interest in seeing a championship fight with a weight difference of 40 pounds,
Hendo67
3/20/09 7:38:19PM
Stupid idea, then you'll get the 185 champ challenging for the 195 belt, and the 205 champ dropping to challenge for the 195 or the other way around.

Stupid idea, too cluttered. No
PunishmentFan
3/20/09 9:11:56PM
What if they dropped middleweight for the 195 division it's like a super middleweight class.
MFOTHER
3/20/09 9:42:58PM
no. they should they should leave it how it is imo. if they are going to add anything add the lighter weights...... any of the changes you guys mentioned dont bring in any new fighters, jut different matchups (some of which are interesting) but the lighter classes would bring some exciting new fighters....faber,brown,aldo,yaya,garcia,CERRONE,varner etc etc etc

but that would kill the WEC so it wont happen
IriShame
3/20/09 9:57:00PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Absolutely. 195 makes no sense. A 225 or 230 would be great though. Guys like Randy, Fedor, and Cro Cop would be seperated from guys like Brock, Carwin, Lashley, and Tim Sylvia. I think that's the way it should be and I don't care what anyone says it's the way it will be eventually. The only thing stopping it now is the desparity in HW talent. No organization wants to split it's heavyweight division in half because there just aren't enough good fighters to fill two seperate divisions. However, soon there will be and people will get tired of seeing monsters beat up on little guys who can't quite make 205. It WILL happen one day.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
3/21/09 1:56:12AM

Posted by IriShame

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Absolutely. 195 makes no sense. A 225 or 230 would be great though. Guys like Randy, Fedor, and Cro Cop would be seperated from guys like Brock, Carwin, Lashley, and Tim Sylvia. I think that's the way it should be and I don't care what anyone says it's the way it will be eventually. The only thing stopping it now is the desparity in HW talent. No organization wants to split it's heavyweight division in half because there just aren't enough good fighters to fill two seperate divisions. However, soon there will be and people will get tired of seeing monsters beat up on little guys who can't quite make 205. It WILL happen one day.

like weight mattered for fedor ...........
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
bjj1605
3/24/09 1:30:16AM
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been saying this forever. This is the weight class they need most. I think once there is more talent welter should be 165. 175 would be super welter. 195 would be cruiser weight. 245 should be the HW limit. Anything above should be super heavy.

I'm not saying right now any way. But the talent pool should continue to grow and these weight classes give alot more options.
Dragoslav
3/25/09 5:03:54PM
If anything I think they should change the MW weight limit to 190. I think there's a lot of undersized LHW fighters that are outsized at 205 but can't make 185. There'd still be a 20 pound gap, it'd just be between WW and MW instead of between LHW and MW.
mkiv9secsupra
3/25/09 10:36:56PM
I dont think its a dumb idea or a good idea but i do think it is pointless. It will be the same guys fighting each other that are fighting now. Hendo, Silva(all of them,lol), Machida, Franklin etc etc will still be the front runners and nothing new will be established. I think it would just be a MW vs LHW division in the end. Maybe in 10 years when there are significantly more fighters it might be useful but until that point
Wolfenstein
3/26/09 12:27:49AM
There's some logic to it, but change doesn't happen overnight. Sometime down the road, the divisions will change as the roster expands. There are so many guys caught in between being a small LHW, but so far away from MW that they need to completely overhaul their physique to fit the division.

In the future I would like to see a 199lb division, and maybe a 215lb division. It's a really difficult situation though that needs to be handled delicately. You don't want the divisions so close, that fighters are constantly changing weight classes.

That's the way boxing is, and a primary reason why the divisions are so muddled...because noone knows who fights in what division. There's a certain sense of organization, and clarity of where fighters stand in their respective divisions in MMA, and it's because it's rare for fighters to jump weight classes because they're so far apart.

You can see the kind of confusion that happened with BJ Penn for example. BJ was a LW, but when he was matched up with GSP again, there were arguments as to wether BJ shouldn't be ranked as a LW or WW, or wether he should only be ranked after he had fought at WW, and not before etc, and you can see how confusing rankings can get when guys jump around divisions. Hell I think Rich Franklin is still rated as a top 5 MW at the PG.