Saw Cloverfield

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Saw Cloverfield
mrsmiley
1/18/08 11:25:10PM
Thought it was really good.Anyone else see it?
Rush
1/18/08 11:28:42PM
No, but I want to.

It got good ratings in the paper. Apparently it breaks ground on a technical aspect too.
Pookie
1/18/08 11:34:11PM
yeah i liked it alot

If you do some research on it you can find hell of little facts on a deeper level. really helps explain why the monster is there and what it is.

Bummed still that it wasnt a godzilla flick like i thought
tlangley
1/19/08 12:58:05AM
Looks like this will be the movie i'll go see next. thanx.
Gladiator
1/19/08 2:24:35AM
I dont know about the rest of u, but i paid $8.00 to see this movie and i was pissed!!! From a technical aspect it was great and i respect the style but i honestly just feel like i got scammed. It was too short IMO and too many questions and random things without explanation. i wont go into detail for anyone who is planning on seeing it but... after i saw this movie i felt like someone cleaned me out in a game of poker with one well played hand, i respect it but im still pissed off!
loller90278
1/19/08 4:19:16AM
i just got home from seeing it.. honestly it was a piece of trash. very stereotypical, you can guess whats going to happen next, and theres so many flaws and "why didn't this happen" in this movie to count.

ps- the previews were longer than this movie
Believe-in-judo81
1/19/08 4:51:38AM
The half dozen or so people I talked to thought it was awful too, and had similar or worse opinions of it than Loller. I'll probably see it still at some point, but I wasn't that interested to begin with so the fact that I've heard mostly bad things about it from people who I trust for opinions on films doesn't help it any.
Rush
1/19/08 11:03:23AM
Well, what I read about it kind of addresses some of the complaints I have heard

1) The technical breakthrough is the fact that this was shot only with one camera. Added to this, a single camera film with special effects is even more of breakthrough

2) The style of the film was supposed to be shot from the aspect of a bystander. So for there to be things that the watcher doesn't understand about the whole situation.

loller90278
1/19/08 2:49:06PM

Posted by Rush

Well, what I read about it kind of addresses some of the complaints I have heard

1) The technical breakthrough is the fact that this was shot only with one camera. Added to this, a single camera film with special effects is even more of breakthrough

2) The style of the film was supposed to be shot from the aspect of a bystander. So for there to be things that the watcher doesn't understand about the whole situation.

this isn't the first movie to use a "home camera" type of aspect to shoot a movie, the most popular one i can think of it that does it was blairwitch project, and even on a smaller budget they made it better. there have been many other movies to use this technique.

***spoiler***

and the fact that a fallen sattalite is the thing that makes this monster wake up and go crazy and destroy NYC is ridiculous..

ps- as well known, this is a JJ abrams films, and this is exactly like every other movie hes been apart of.. the lost, or whatever that movie was, was cool for 10 minutes then became boring. he's very good at creating hype around his movies, but they always tend to dissapoint.

get ready trekkies to be dissapointed come december time.
Pookie
1/19/08 3:22:30PM
i dont remember hearing that it was a satellite that caused it to come up.

and as far as leaving things unaswered... the answers ARE there. they are just ridiculously hard to decipher.
Clocks times that lead to biblical passages... etc

and as far as it being too short... that just means you were into the movie.
Movies go too slow if you hate them. I dont see how you can say its terrible but yet it drew you in to the point that it seemed short, when it was longer than the average film.

this isnt addressed to everyone, but to some.

But i guess people just dont like godzilla flicks
mrsmiley
1/19/08 4:37:17PM
Well I loved it.I thought the style and the setup was beatiful.It was basicly a cheesy monster movie with a more urgent feel to it.We all watch Godzilla movies and monster flicks and to an extent they all have a detached feeling of urgency.It's absent from those types of flicks.This added a sense or realism to it all that has never been addressed in this type of movie.I guess not for everyone,but I thought it was great.

And I love how it was shot from the civilian point of view.It allowed to add some back story to it,and kept it more on a personal level.

BTW,I loved the teaser for the new Star Trek film too!