Save me from a cat scan

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Save me from a cat scan
The_Metal_Maniac
8/20/09 9:13:32PM
Ok so I weight train at the local YMCA about five days a week. Two weeks ago I was doing speed sets on the flat bench. I was doing reps of twenty five. On my second set I got to about twenty one and wanted to squeeze out the last couple reps. So ignoring proper form I held my breath and strained to get them out. I made it but instantaneously got the most excruciating migraine. I got a drank of water took a Tylenol and waited an hour or so and it went away. My head hurt for the next three or four days and then it went away. So I took the remaining week and a half off from the gym. Today I go to the Y and am warming up with bicep exercises. As soon as I start to strain, bam, a migraine. I don't want to go to the hospital and get a two thousand dollar cat scan to tell me something stupid. I also don't want to die in my sleep on a ruptured aneurysm. If anyone has ever heard anything like this please let me know. Thanks guys!
postman
8/20/09 9:24:32PM
my wife has a cat scan recently and was only 500
kopower
8/20/09 9:48:50PM
Don't want to mess around with anything like that. I'd call a clinic first or talk to a doc to see what they think. Sounds like there is something wrong if it occured again. Hope everything turns out good
grappler0000
8/20/09 9:54:21PM
I've went though this same exact thing twice before...once when I was about 15 and again in my early twenties. I'm not sure what triggered it...it just started happening during workouts. If I had to make a guess, I would say it was a result of improper breathing during my workout. I never went to the doctor about it, so I can't help identify the actual problem. I too gave it about a week and the headaches continued...so I took off about 5 or 6 weeks of weight training, which seemed to do the trick. I'm 31 now and it hasn't surfaced since.

My suggestion would be to take a few weeks off...and when starting back up to make sure you're breathing properly when lifting. But if possible, I would get it checked out to play it safe.
The_Metal_Maniac
8/20/09 10:28:35PM

Posted by grappler0000

I've went though this same exact thing twice before...once when I was about 15 and again in my early twenties. I'm not sure what triggered it...it just started happening during workouts. If I had to make a guess, I would say it was a result of improper breathing during my workout. I never went to the doctor about it, so I can't help identify the actual problem. I too gave it about a week and the headaches continued...so I took off about 5 or 6 weeks of weight training, which seemed to do the trick. I'm 31 now and it hasn't surfaced since.

My suggestion would be to take a few weeks off...and when starting back up to make sure you're breathing properly when lifting. But if possible, I would get it checked out to play it safe.

Thanks guys for being mmaplaygrounds versions of Dr.House and diagnosing me lol.
bojangalz
8/20/09 10:53:01PM
Jackelope
8/22/09 10:01:56AM
I know this isn't the stuff you want to hear- but as someone with some experience in the health care field I would strongly suggest you do get it at least checked out by a doctor.

What happened to one guy might not be what happened to you, and when you're talking about something as simple as a headache you could be dealing in some very serious stuff. Aren't you the guy sporting the Bruce Lee avatar? Ask him about how bad a little headache can turn out.

Again, I'm not trying to condescend or steal money from your wallet, but you could literally be risking your life here. Take it for what it's worth. Not trying to be a dick here, just providing a second opinion. At least talk to a Doctor first and then decide whether you want to get the scan or not. Especially since you're talking about something that happened in your head when you were straining heavily and your blood pressure was up. You could have a brain aneurysm and not even know it.

jocka
8/22/09 7:35:10PM
I've been weight training for about 6 years now and this never happened to me and if it did I would be asking non-doctors on a mma forum for advice. Common man get your butt in a doctor's office, this is not the type of thing you want to play with.
Rush
8/22/09 7:36:54PM

Posted by jocka

I've been weight training for about 6 years now and this never happened to me and if it did I would be asking non-doctors on a mma forum for advice. Common man get your butt in a doctor's office, this is not the type of thing you want to play with.

I think you mean "wouldn't be asking non-doctors", but yeah I agree. However, by the sounds of it, the original poster already made up his mind before he even posted this thread.
jocka
8/22/09 7:42:23PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by jocka

I think you mean "wouldn't be asking non-doctors", but yeah I agree. However, by the sounds of it, you already made up your mind before you even posted this thread.

lol that exactly what i meant, i guess french people think a like :)
Rush
8/22/09 8:49:00PM
Just a note, I goofed on my wording above. The comment about making up the mind was actually directed at the thread starter, not you jocka.

The_Metal_Maniac
8/22/09 9:05:04PM

Posted by Rush

Just a note, I goofed on my wording above. The comment about making up the mind was actually directed at the thread starter, not you jocka.

The reason I posted this question was simply to see if anyone ever experienced the same problem.
Rush
8/23/09 12:28:00PM

Posted by The_Metal_Maniac

Posted by Rush

The reason I posted this question was simply to see if anyone ever experienced the same problem.

I understand, but for future reference, I would not word it in the sense "save me the $$$ for a CAT scan" because it looks like you have made up your mind and you are looking for reassurance from other people. Of the people on the forums I am probably the closest to a doctor (I have a doctorate in genetics) and I wouldn't recommend to anyone to do an internet diagnosis of something that could be potentially serious (i.e. headaches or chest pains caused by physical activity) as opposed to aches, pains, strains and sprains, which are acute and mild symptoms.

Regardless of where you live and how the health care system is set up, you do not have to get any kind of care if you choose not to (unless you are not conscious and have given power of attorney.... yadda yadda). So if you get this checked out and the doctor says it could be serious, you still have a choice to get the recommended treatment. Talk to the doctor about alternatives or get a second opinion.

The question you should ask yourself is would you get the scan if the doctor told you it was or could be serious? In this case and many others that I have reviewed on this forum it looks like to me that people decide to take big risks with their health to save a bit of money, which to me is asinine. I'm not trying to sound like a douche, but rather giving you a no BS opinion on the matter.