Saturday Afternoon Throwdown: Three UFC light heavyweight fights that need to happen

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Saturday Afternoon Throwdown: Three UFC light heavyweight fights that need to happen
MMAcca
6/14/08 2:08:07PM
With Quinton “Rampage” Jackson set to defend his UFC 205-pound title against Forrest Griffin in a few weeks at UFC 86: “Jackson vs. Griffin,” it’s a good time to discuss some other potential fights in the stacked division.

It’s obvious that the UFCs light heavyweight class is the deepest division in mixed martial arts today. With guys like Chuck Liddell, Lyoto Machida, Wanderlei Silva, Thiago Silva and Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, among others, there are plenty of contenders who consider themselves the next man in line for a shot at the strap.

LINK
gartface
6/14/08 2:20:26PM
Chuck vs. Machida - I see Chuck knocking him out, due to the fact of how patient Chuck is.
Rashad vs. Shogun - I can see this going either way, I think that Rashad's wrestling could give him problems, but could also get him submitted when he's on top.
Silva vs. Silva - I see Wanderlei knocking out Thiago in less than 2 minutes. Antonio Mendes had Thiago hurt badly, I think he was slightly exposed. I think Wanderlei will close the distance and go wild on his head and knock him out.

I would really like to see all three of these fights though.
ThaAxeMurderer7
6/14/08 2:48:56PM

Posted by gartface

Chuck vs. Machida - I see Chuck knocking him out, due to the fact of how patient Chuck is.
Rashad vs. Shogun - I can see this going either way, I think that Rashad's wrestling could give him problems, but could also get him submitted when he's on top.
Silva vs. Silva - I see Wanderlei knocking out Thiago in less than 2 minutes. Antonio Mendes had Thiago hurt badly, I think he was slightly exposed. I think Wanderlei will close the distance and go wild on his head and knock him out.

I like your choices, but this is how I would like to see them.

Shogun vs. Chuck - I'm gonna pick Shogun but I have no idea how.

Thiago Silva vs. Rashad Evans - This was rumored to happen at UFC 84. I like Thiago but I honestly see Rashad squeaking out a decision.

Wandelei vs Machida - I want this fight to happen so bad. Machida is just so patient but I think Wandy might be the man to hand him his first loss.

However you mix them up though is a win/win situation.
Gipper
6/14/08 3:25:52PM
t.silva-machida
winner gets next shot at the title
Gipper
6/14/08 3:28:42PM
shogun-liddell needs to happen by the end of the year
NatedawgThaM
6/15/08 1:40:15AM

Posted by gartface

I have to respectfully disagree with those two statements.

I honestly believe Chuck has one of the better chances against Machida, IF as you said, he is patient. But I just can't see that happening. Liddell heard just a few boo's(barely any) in the 2nd Rampage fight which caused him to fire off an ugly body hook which had him screwed from the time he even thought of throwing it. And it would be ten times worse then the beginning of that fight since Machida wouldn't walk him down like Rampage was doing. But if Chuck did follow the gameplan that he uses against every good grappler/wrestler that he's always KO's, and does not press or throw the first punch, and counters. He'll definitely KO Machida, I almost guarantee it. But I honestly see either his ego coming into play(always having to have exciting fights) and after hearing a few boo's throwing something ugly again which gets him screwed. Or he presses Machida which is very bad, MACHIDA WILL KILL HIM! Chuck sucks at blocking kicks and Machida will kick him all day like Jardine did, plus pressing would make it easier for Machida to take him down where we all know he'd butt rape Chuck. But if he counters like he does against every other great wrestler, he'll be in a good position to use that great sprawl since I doubt Machida has good takedowns, especially good enough to take Liddell down since not even Tito could. He could definitely pull it off, I just can't see it happening.

And as for Thiago, IMO I don't think he was hurt at al. He was using trademark Chutebox ruthless aggression which caused him to be off balanced and the force from the kick made him slip and fall to the ground. He blocked that kick 100%. I honestly think he was just off balance since he's so damn aggressive. But of course it's just a matter of opinion which will never be 100% solved since we aren't Thiago so we wouldn't know.

I like these match up's, Neither are one sided in the least IMO. Shogun would either kill Rashad on the feet or Rashad would lay on him for 3 rounds for a decision. The Machida-Chuck fight really just depends on Chuck, he could easily KO him but he'd have to drop being one of the most exciting fighters for one fight. It's all up to him. And the Thiago-Wandy fight all depends where the fight goes. On the feet it'd be a freakin bloodbath slugfest which I imagine Wandy would stop Thiago in 2-3 but on the ground, I think Thiago could pound him out in 2-3. But as I keep saying, this fight probably will never happen since they are like brothers, Wandy is like the older one, he is Thiago's hero. Good match ups though nonetheless
big_timmy
6/15/08 8:28:10PM
Chuck - shogun. This one is obvious.

Wandy - machida. Makes machida prove himself against a tough opponent that isnt just fighitng out his contract. Machida tends to be constantly pushing backwards and waiting while Wandy wants nothing more than to press the action.

nuff said