Could Sanchez make the Lightweight Division???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Could Sanchez make the Lightweight Division???
Kracker_Jap
8/27/08 11:41:40AM
Looking at Sanchez's next fight against Alves, I started thinking is this do or die for him if he loses does he become the 170lb gatekeeper????

Or if he loses could he make Lightweight??? If so I think he would terrorize the division......

I know there is a chance he could do to Alves what he has done to Riggs and Diaz, but pretend that doesn't happen...

What do you guys think???
jocka
8/27/08 1:00:55PM
am a 100% sure he would be able to do 155lbs, he is not a big 170, its not lot he ripped either, the problem is that most guys like him don't want to be on a really strict diet sp they decide to stay at a more natural weight. I would be curious to know how much weight he needs to cut to make 170...
Diamondback2
8/27/08 3:32:48PM
I am pretty positive that Sanchez has said he could make 155 he just didn't want to for whatever reason.

Actually found a link
Click Me

I really think he should and if Alves beats him im pretty sure he will. His Crazy style of JJ should give alot of fighter some real problems at 155. Plus i would love to see Sanchez/Florian II.
nickcuc547
8/27/08 3:45:10PM
yes he could and he would be an animal, top three lightweight at the least.
sparky
8/27/08 6:58:32PM
Diego would be a nightmare at 155. If he did drop down to 155 I bet he would work his way to a title shot real quick. I think diego would destroy the 155 division other then BJ Penn. But I dont think Diego is going to lose to Alves and even if he does i dont think we will see him drop down.
DiabloFreak56
8/27/08 7:07:45PM
if he dropped down to LW id be so pumped. id want his first fight vs spencer fisher to be honest id think that would be a hell of a fight.
Wolfenstein
8/27/08 7:13:48PM
He has thought about dropping to 155 a few times. I remember him saying once that he likes to stay at 170 so he doesn't have to cut weight because it lets him keep a non stop pace th entire fight.I've never seen him gas so I guess it holds true.

I think he would be so much better at 155. He would crush guys like Florian, Sean Sherk, and Tyson Griffen. I don't know if he could take Penn but I think he could give him a run for his money.
mrkennedy
8/27/08 7:15:04PM
dont think it will be a good idea.
seanfu
8/28/08 1:49:47AM
He wouldn't be in the top 8 or 10. The fact is that Diego is an unstoppable force at 170 with his speed, conditioning, technique, and attitude. He's not the strongest but he can always get stronger.

The fact is that most of what makes him special at 170 will disappear or get nullified at 155.

You're talking even speed, even strength, and even technique. Sure the chin would be even more impressive but he couldn't get away with his style at 155.

He could (possibly) crack the top ten but he's no Penn with his BJJ, his boxing is not elite level, his power and strength are not super impressive, his kicks are about even, and his pace would lower.

He's the definition of a freestyle fighter so he needs a combo of everything to kick ass and his speed/ pace advantages have helped him get there.
AftaabehEshk
8/28/08 5:25:53AM

Posted by seanfu

He wouldn't be in the top 8 or 10. The fact is that Diego is an unstoppable force at 170 with his speed, conditioning, technique, and attitude. He's not the strongest but he can always get stronger.

The fact is that most of what makes him special at 170 will disappear or get nullified at 155.

You're talking even speed, even strength, and even technique. Sure the chin would be even more impressive but he couldn't get away with his style at 155.

He could (possibly) crack the top ten but he's no Penn with his BJJ, his boxing is not elite level, his power and strength are not super impressive, his kicks are about even, and his pace would lower.

He's the definition of a freestyle fighter so he needs a combo of everything to kick ass and his speed/ pace advantages have helped him get there. [/QUOTE

Very smart post. First of all Diego is almost 6 feet tall. He fought on the ufc show as a middleweight. And he is actually pretty ripped, did you see him in his most recent fight. I dont understand the post where the guy implied he's not. Hes one of the best conditioned athletes in the ufc. Maybe if he starts having problems he should consider a drop. But not yet. His only two losses where nothing to be ashamed of. He had a staph infection the night before the Koscheck fight, and a really serious one. And against Jon Fitch it was a very close fight. Lets see some more Diego fights before we go that route.
JimiMak
8/28/08 5:20:05PM
Diego's needed to move down for a while. He'd do much better being one of the big ones than one of the small ones in his div. He'd prob'ly get faster too.
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
8/28/08 11:42:05PM
Just because you lose a number one contenders match to possibly the next WW champion, doesn't mean you become a gatekeeper.