Sakuraba vs Manhoef

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Sakuraba vs Manhoef
Franklinfan47
5/27/08 3:03:34PM

This is one of the more interesting quarter final match ups of the Dream MW GP. Manhoef is a beast, but I think Sakuraba will be able to expose some of the holes in his ground game. I'm taking Sakuraba by submission in the 2nd. What do you guys think of this match up?
hotrodttt
5/27/08 3:06:42PM
It's a Hard Fight for both guys in that Melvin is an Explosive Striker and Saku is a Great Catch Wrestler. We know that Saku can take Punishment and Win like in his Fight against Smirinovas. I think Saku takes this 1 because Melvin showed weaknesses in his last Fight and I think Saku Advances to the Semi Finals.

If Melvin is to Win, he'll need to flash KO Saku which is highly unlikely because his Chin is Solid.
Jackelope
5/27/08 8:18:45PM
Manhoef looked like shit in his last fight, IMO. If he comes out like that against Sakuraba he'll get worked. If he comes out to his full potential there could be an upset KO on the feet. Manhoef has serious, serious power.

Although by the looks of the pictures it doesn't even look fair, haha. Manhoef has to be the biggest MW in the world
jiujitsufreak74
5/27/08 8:31:49PM
i think Melvin can get a grip on himself and come out focused since his opponent is a true warrior. last time i think he was unmotivated since his opponent wasn't too highly recognized, but i think for Saku he will come prepared. i think it will happen just like all the fights Saku had with Wandy. Melvin will come out aggressive, keep it on the feet and score the KO imo.

this fight is tricky to call. on one hand Melvin has had trouble with grapplers but on the other Saku has had problems with aggressive strikers. i think that in this fight Saku will have more trouble with the onslaught of Melvin and get caught about 6 min into it.
pv3Hpv3p
5/28/08 10:09:30AM

Posted by Jackelope

Manhoef looked like shit in his last fight, IMO. If he comes out like that against Sakuraba he'll get worked. If he comes out to his full potential there could be an upset KO on the feet. Manhoef has serious, serious power.

To be fair.... Manhoef was only two weeks out of surgery (some sort of lung thing) before his last fight... Just saying

Although by the looks of the pictures it doesn't even look fair, haha. Manhoef has to be the biggest MW in the world

Melvin is def a beast... If this fight was against a Sakuraba 5 years younger i would be much more comfortable with picking Saku... And as much as I love what he's done for the sport, IMO Saku has taken too many beatings to be able to withstand manhoef's speed and power... I really hope I'm wrong though
chubbud22
5/28/08 11:35:17AM
Its hard for me to bet against Saku,but Manhoef is a beast. In the end I will take Saku sub 1st
ICSlegend
5/28/08 12:25:24PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i think Melvin can get a grip on himself and come out focused since his opponent is a true warrior. last time i think he was unmotivated since his opponent wasn't too highly recognized, but i think for Saku he will come prepared. i think it will happen just like all the fights Saku had with Wandy. Melvin will come out aggressive, keep it on the feet and score the KO imo.

this fight is tricky to call. on one hand Melvin has had trouble with grapplers but on the other Saku has had problems with aggressive strikers. i think that in this fight Saku will have more trouble with the onslaught of Melvin and get caught about 6 min into it.

In all fairness Wandy was the top 205 fighter in the world. Saku's a MW. It's not really fair to compare. Manhoef is a huge monster, but he's no Wandy. What other aggressive strikers did Saku have a problem with? Nakahara's striking didn't prove to be much of a problem. Manhoef is of course a lot more dangerous.

I think Saku catches Manhoef midway in the first. Can't wait to see Saku beatdown Jacare and take the whole thing
jiujitsufreak74
5/28/08 2:39:44PM

Posted by ICSlegend

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

In all fairness Wandy was the top 205 fighter in the world. Saku's a MW. It's not really fair to compare. Manhoef is a huge monster, but he's no Wandy. What other aggressive strikers did Saku have a problem with? Nakahara's striking didn't prove to be much of a problem. Manhoef is of course a lot more dangerous.

I think Saku catches Manhoef midway in the first. Can't wait to see Saku beatdown Jacare and take the whole thing

i actually think Saku has a better chance against Jacare than he does against Melvin since he has made a living off of defeating JJ fighters, much to my dismay. and i think Melvin is just like Wandy in terms of striking. Melvin was once at LHW and he hits just as hard imo and is just as explosive. this is a hard one to call; i'm still going with Melvin though.
coldchillin
5/28/08 3:56:52PM
I hope Sakuraba has enough left in the tank to take a little punishment so he can expose Manhoef's ground game.
mrsmiley
5/28/08 4:14:33PM
I would say Saku, but man it's a tough one.
Their's a lot of variables to figure into that fight.
NatedawgThaM
5/28/08 5:05:50PM
Melvin 1st round KO! Big fan of his. I think he'll rock Sakaraba early and hopefully finish him soon later!
Jackelope
5/28/08 11:07:14PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Melvin is def a beast... If this fight was against a Sakuraba 5 years younger i would be much more comfortable with picking Saku... And as much as I love what he's done for the sport, IMO Saku has taken too many beatings to be able to withstand manhoef's speed and power... I really hope I'm wrong though

This is basically along my lines of thinking. I really want to pick Sakuraba for this one (he's done more for the sport of MMA than Manhoef, and he's a more complete fighter as far as ground game combined with standup IMO)

I am willing to bet Manhoef will knock at the legs of Sakuraba and score a big KO midway through the first.
Mchubb316
5/28/08 11:15:48PM

Posted by Jackelope

Manhoef did look unimpressive, but everyone is entitled to have an off night. Saku is a warrior, and I think he will win this fight. If Manhoef can rebound and come out and pressure Saku and avoid submissions he has a chance. I like Sak though.
chubbud22
5/29/08 5:13:49AM
I could see Manhoef rocking Saku early, and Saku pulling some sick sub in the first out of no where.
tylerlee123
5/29/08 12:42:10PM
I hope Sakuraba doesnt get knocked out