Ryo Chonan (spoiler)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » Spoilers Forum » Ryo Chonan (spoiler)
warglory
11/17/07 11:35:48PM
What is with Asian fighters in the UFC!? Yushin Okami is one of the only fighters who has been effective in the UFC, and they gave him the boot. Is it the transition between cultures?

Ryo Chonan I noticed had to have a translator to interpret his instructions, that seems a bit weak to me. Is there something that the UFC and other American organizations can do to help Asian fighters adjust?

nickcuc547
11/18/07 1:02:00AM
lets see chonan fight again before a judgement is made on him, karo is just in another class.
cmill21
11/18/07 1:23:32AM
Karo bored his way out to another decision, it's not like he Ko'd him or did anything spectacular.
Svartorm
11/18/07 1:33:05AM
I was actually pretty impressed with Chonan. His clinch skills have improved greatly since last time I saw him fight, so clearly getting with a new camp was a good idea. He landed some decent punches on Karo, and the knees in the 3rd round took the wind right out of Karos sails. For a first fight in the UFC, that wasn't bad at all.
Styles
11/18/07 1:47:21AM

Posted by Svartorm

I was actually pretty impressed with Chonan. His clinch skills have improved greatly since last time I saw him fight, so clearly getting with a new camp was a good idea. He landed some decent punches on Karo, and the knees in the 3rd round took the wind right out of Karos sails. For a first fight in the UFC, that wasn't bad at all.

I think with some more cage exp. Chonan will be a force in that div. Karo did bore his way to another victory, but you have to beable to beat him where he is best at? That will be hard fo ranyone to do.
xposipx
11/18/07 1:49:53AM
Gono had a sick sub. So, that theory can go away.
DNor
11/18/07 2:27:37AM
After re-watching the fight.. Chonan did not do too bad in his debut against a UFC veteran. He threw pretty good knees in the clinch and had good judo defense.

Hope to see Chonan back.
stickyhash421
11/18/07 2:41:10AM

Posted by Svartorm

chonan was doing great, stopping takedowns and NO JUDO at allll wow, hes definatly a good contender but was matched up badly with a wrestler with so/so standup chonan was winning on the feet in my opinion, overall that card was good tho too, silva KO'ing alexander...classic
BerndRealBad
11/18/07 2:51:17AM
As stated previously, considering that he faced a top 10 welterweight which, to be honest, Japan just couldn't offer him. DEEP is ironically called that because it's not very 'deep' as far as world class talent goes. But with a new camp and more cage experience, he'll improve and could very well be a force in the division, if not an excellent gatekeeper.
faille
11/18/07 1:47:19PM

Posted by cmill21

Karo bored his way out to another decision, it's not like he Ko'd him or did anything spectacular.

I hope for something better next time.
MALICE
11/18/07 3:19:43PM

Posted by faille

Posted by cmill21

I hope for something better next time.

Karo may have been in line for a title fight a year ago, but after his loss to Diego, the WW division has changed. With 9 out of his last 10 fights going to decision, I think he is still in the mix, he just needs to finish a top opponent. After beating Serra, Diaz, Lytle, Thompson, Ficket, Burkman, and Chonan, he deserves something. I say Fitch vs. Karo. The winner faces the winner of GSP vs. Hughes/Serra winner.
rcg916
11/18/07 4:12:32PM
MMA fans are too hooked on finishing fights. Just because it doesnt end in a dramatic KO, doesnt mean that both fighters didnt bust their asses.

Too much judging performances from the couch, if you ask me.
MALICE
11/18/07 4:27:24PM

Posted by rcg916

MMA fans are too hooked on finishing fights. Just because it doesnt end in a dramatic KO, doesnt mean that both fighters didnt bust their asses.

Too much judging performances from the couch, if you ask me.

If fighter A fights 10 opponents, and finishes them AND
fighter B fights the same 10 opponents, and wins by decision,
doesn't fighter A deserve to be named the better fighter?
Scott_Revels
11/18/07 7:47:01PM

Posted by xposipx

Gono had a sick sub. So, that theory can go away.

I was just going to say that.. and poor Tamdan.. I was so hoping he'd win..
Believe-in-judo81
12/6/07 2:56:16PM
Gono and Chonan both had good debut showings, and I think they will both be movers and shakers in the division and develop an audience.