Ryan Bader / Carmelo Marrero UFN 18

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Ryan Bader / Carmelo Marrero UFN 18
ToeZup
1/12/09 4:28:34PM
This is a pretty good match up. I'll take Bader in this one. I can't see Carmelo KO'ing him and Bader's wrestling is a lot better. There is one thing I have to say about Marrero though. He has pretty much fought nothing but good competition in the UFC. So I hope Bader is ready to roll. Pun intended.

Ryan Bader Vs Carmelo Marrero UFN 18

Ryan Bader vs. Carmelo Marrero expected for UFN 18 on April 1
January 12, 2009 by Sam Caplan

Season eight light heavyweight winner of The Ultimate Fighter Ryan Bader is scheduled to make his formal UFC debut at UFC Fight Night 18 on April 1 against the returning Carmelo Marrero.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com was informed of the matchup from a source close to one of the fighters.

Bader won his TUF 8 crown following a first round TKO over Vinicius Magalhaes during the show’s live finale last month. A former All-American wrestler at Arizona State University, Bader is 8-0 in his career with seven of his eight victories having ended inside the distance.

He’ll be facing another former amateur wrestler in Marrero, who is returning to the UFC after being released from the organization in May of 2007. Marrero, 10-2, last competed in November at WEC 36, where he recorded a split decision victory over Steve Steinbeiss. He was transferred over to the UFC after the WEC closed both its middleweight and light heavyweight divisions.

Marrero might be best known for his upset victory over Cheick Kongo at UFC 64. However, he was released from his contract after experiencing back-to-back losses to Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC 66 and Wilson Gouveia at UFC 71.

UFN 18 will take place in Nashville, Tenn. and the two-hour live telecast on Spike TV will precede the season premiere for the ninth season of The Ultimate Fighter.

Gweedo
1/12/09 4:30:15PM
I don't c Carmello winning.
casey64
1/12/09 6:26:12PM
Man this is good ill be going hopefully.
imanidiot777
1/12/09 6:52:04PM
Let's go Bader!
bls1919
1/12/09 7:55:18PM
Bader wrestling is better and dude has bricks in his gloves. I say Bader TKO 1st.
Franklinfan47
1/12/09 8:53:22PM
Marrero derives most of his strengths from his wrestling, which Bader should be able to neutralize. I'm taking Bader by decision.
Bobby-B-Bonkers
1/12/09 9:29:06PM
Bader TKO 1st
copcopps
1/12/09 10:29:03PM
Bader by Force Lightning
Pitbull09
1/13/09 1:08:54AM
Dont take this outof context but Joe Silva usually picks the perfect fights for TUF winners. I think all winners are 100% in their next fight after the finale. For me, its just an easy pick for my pick perecentage which I have been desperate for lately
Kpro
1/13/09 10:38:23AM
I'm guessing they're assuming Bader's hand will be cleared since its within his medical suspension time. Must not be too bad.
gartface
1/13/09 12:57:55PM
Carmelo's Jiu Jitsu is not near what Vinny's is. Bader was able to keep his space against Vinny, and score the knockout. I see nothing different from this fight, and see Darth Bader rocking Marrero in the first and ending it.
higdon10
1/13/09 4:01:49PM
Bader will stay on top of Marrero for 15 minutes and win a decision.
Franklinfan47
1/14/09 12:12:34PM

Posted by Pitbull09

Dont take this outof context but Joe Silva usually picks the perfect fights for TUF winners. I think all winners are 100% in their next fight after the finale. For me, its just an easy pick for my pick perecentage which I have been desperate for lately

I respectively disagree. Joe Stevensons first fight after winning he lost a decision to Josh Neer. Efrain's first opponent is Jeremy Stephens, which I think could go either way personally.
hathcock32
1/14/09 5:12:14PM
Bader wins easily. However i disagree with them protecting the TUF. At least in Efrains case.